Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macpiglet

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2019
England
I realise this probably sounds really stupid, but...

Although I’m just starting on my third iPad I’ve not really used one for creating documents before. I plan to use Notability now, though, to make notes about things I need to frequently refer to at work. Against that background, I’ve realised that I don’t know how I can actually save them to the iPad, and—assuming I can—where they will be saved, and how I can find them later.

My desktop is Windows and so I’ve always been used to using Explorer to view files of various kinds that
I’ve created and organised into folders/sub-folders etc. We use Box for online storage at work, and I do plan to upload the files I create to Box, but is it not possible for me also to save them onto the iPad?

Again, I realise this must sound like a very daft question, but please explain if you can! Many thanks for any help :)

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
With the note open, click the share icon top left and chose where you want to save it.....Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive lots of options.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
With the note open, click the share icon top left and chose where you want to save it.....Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive lots of options.
I believe there’s a button to save to Files also, so it’ll be synced with all your devices. But the OP has windows so your solution would work best. Apple should make an iCloud files utility for PCs though.

Macpiglet

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2019
England
Many thanks both for your help. I know I can save to various cloud-based places, but is it not possible for me to save it onto the iPad itself, in the way that I normally save to a hard drive on my PC desktop? I’ve checked and there isn’t a Files option available as a save destination when I click on the share button - just things like Box, Dropbox, email etc.

ChicagoSlim

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2018
Many thanks both for your help. I know I can save to various cloud-based places, but is it not possible for me to save it onto the iPad itself, in the way that I normally save to a hard drive on my PC desktop? I’ve checked and there isn’t a Files option available as a save destination when I click on the share button - just things like Box, Dropbox, email etc.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the ios file system. The file is saved by notability in its own special place. You can independently back it up into any location (box, icloud etc.) but apps seem to have their own 'special place' that they store their info. One of the most irritating things about ios/ipad.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Share Button > Other Apps > Select the file format then select Share Note > Share to Files

By default Share to Files may not be an option. If you don’t see it scroll to the right and select More. That will give you the option to add additional locations. One tip if you like to save to local storage is to download an app called Local Storage. Once installed you can add Local Storage to your Files favorites. From then on you can select Local Storage or a sub folder you create in Local Storage to save items. You access these files from the Files app. or from individual apps.

Last edited:

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I realise this probably sounds really stupid, but...

Although I’m just starting on my third iPad I’ve not really used one for creating documents before. I plan to use Notability now, though, to make notes about things I need to frequently refer to at work. Against that background, I’ve realised that I don’t know how I can actually save them to the iPad, and—assuming I can—where they will be saved, and how I can find them later.

My desktop is Windows and so I’ve always been used to using Explorer to view files of various kinds that
I’ve created and organised into folders/sub-folders etc. We use Box for online storage at work, and I do plan to upload the files I create to Box, but is it not possible for me also to save them onto the iPad?

Again, I realise this must sound like a very daft question, but please explain if you can! Many thanks for any help :)
Your question isn’t stupid at all.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Welcome to the wonderful world of the ios file system. The file is saved by notability in its own special place. You can independently back it up into any location (box, icloud etc.) but apps seem to have their own 'special place' that they store their info. One of the most irritating things about ios/ipad.
I agree that sometimes it's inconvenient not to have a file system, but I don't think this is one of the cases. Notability (like Apple notes, and MS OneNote) is also an organizer of notes, like a notebook. So, it makes sense to have all notes locally to the app.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Files created by iPad apps are saved within sandboxed file space within the app itself. So files stay on the iPad as long as you don’t delete the app.

To access them with other apps, you'll need to ‘share’ them from Notability to the target app - one app can not directly access another app's files.

While it does limit things on iOS, it's by design for data security/privacy.

But, on your share sheet, make sure you have all the options turned on that you may need.

Reactions: Mike Boreham

Macpiglet

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2019
England

Ahaa! Many thanks for explaining. I thought I must be going mad :)
[doublepost=1554792543][/doublepost]
Share Button > Other Apps > Select the file format then select Share Note > Share to Files

By default Share to Files may not be an option. If you don’t see it scroll to the right and select More. That will give you the option to add additional locations. One tip if you like to save to local storage is to download an app called Local Storage. Once installed you can add Local Storage to your Files favorites. From then on you can select Local Storage or a sub folder you create in Local Storage to save items. You access these files from the Files app. or from individual apps.

That’s brilliant, thanks! I’ll get that app this morning :)
[doublepost=1554792683][/doublepost]
Files created by iPad apps are saved within sandboxed file space within the app itself. So files stay on the iPad as long as you don’t delete the app.

To access them with other apps, you'll need to ‘share’ them from Notability to the target app - one app can not directly access another app's files.

While it does limit things on iOS, it's by design for data security/privacy.

But, on your share sheet, make sure you have all the options turned on that you may need.

Thank you :) It’s all a lot clearer now. Previously I thought I must be missing something.

Macpiglet

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2019
England

Hello again,

I’ve come back to thank you again for recommending Local Storage. I’ve been using it for a few days now and it’s completely transformed my experience of using the iPad. I’ve been creating a series of documents, and now I can... FIND THEM! :) As well as saving them in their app-related sandboxes (and uploading to Box) I’m saving them as PDFs to Local Storage, and so I can open and search them with Adobe Acrobat Reader, and open and use them in other programmes. This has made a huge difference to me - thank you very much indeed!

Last edited:

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I’m glad that Local Storage is working out for you. I started using it recently, and it’s really helped me make the move to the iPad as my primary device in my very mobile life (travel globally for work).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.