Scalpers @ 14th Street Store this AM (NYC)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by El3ctronics, Mar 31, 2011.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Got there around 6:10am at which time there were about 100 people in front of me (90+ of who were Asian). I would have thought the scalping would die down by now but it's as bad as ever. All AT&T versions were sold out within the first 25 people (of whom all were Asian scalpers and all asked for AT&T) so I settled for a 32GB black WiFi. So far it's great but I wish Apple would have done something about this nonsense to make it at least possible to go to the store and get the version you wanted.

EDIT: I should also mention they all had wads of cash in their hand and proceeded to put them in suitcases once out of the store.

Below is the image once I finally got into the store...

Attached Files:

2. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

Why did you have to settle? Should've just wait. It's just an iPad.

You got it though, don't blame the scalpers, blame Apple. They should just make online delivery a priority, that would solve a lot of the issues and save their consumers a lot of time and effort.

3. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly, it's just an iPad so not having 3G isn't the biggest deal in the world but I'm not a patient person. Does that mean I still settled? Yes, but it's okay and I can live with it.

What Apple SHOULD have done is require any form of ID when purchasing the iPad and limit 1-2 iPads per month per person. That way they could still scalp some (this IS a capitalist society after all) but after the first week, the issue would virtually disappear.

4. macse30 macrumors regular

macse30

Funny, I had the same experience at the same store on Tuesday. Got there at 6:10 and they only had wifi and white 64 Verizon when they got to me at 50th. That guy in the front of the picture with the black cap was there Tuesday also. Wads of cash. All buying two. The staff would say "hi again" to them in line as they handed out tickets. Two hours in 32F with only a light jacket was worth it to me. Love this thing!

5. optimusp517 macrumors member

optimusp517

Here's the reason and I dont' blame them for going after the cheddar, but you're right sometimes drives me nuts. I've done the same thing before for sneakers and other stuff, but I really just want my own ipad.

They're buying them in bulk and shipping them out to China/Hong Kong because of the market. Even though they're getting them soon my Uncle from HK told me the Chinamen (not HK residence) are buying them by the bulk of 100 units at a time. CRAZY huh. Unfortunately we'll have to just wait it out for a little bit.

6. Built macrumors 68020

Consider it a blessing. Wait until Apple gets control over the major quality control issues in this initial production batch. By the time the quality control issues are worked out, the hubbub will have died down and you will get an iPad 2 no problem.

FYI....As reported in another thread, the HK market has been so flooded with iPads, the prices there are dropping...so the Asian scalpers should be slowing down soon.

7. Hannah Montana macrumors newbie

In other words, don't sell the models you want to people who stood in line longer than you. Save it for the guys who chose not to wait as diligently as the Asians.

8. leisenstein macrumors member

Exactly. I guess its OK to racially profile those jerks buying MY iPad, but not those illegal immigrants taking someone's job. :rolleyes:

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Let me get this straight... Apple is supposed to somehow discriminate against people who have stood in line longer than others based on what they (might) do with the device after they've purchased it and it is legally theirs to do whatever they want with?

Tell me again how first-come-first-serve is unfair?

10. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

First come first serve isn't unfair at all, whats unfair is:

First come first serve, same people, every day, repeatedly buying iPads, getting there at 1 in the morning with wads of cash.

That's whats unfair, give everyone else a chance to buy at least one iPad each first.

11. Built macrumors 68020

...and I love how quickly any thread even referencing Asians turns into accusations of racial profiling and discrimination.

I think the picture above says it all. We know they're Asians...THEY know they're Asians...What's wrong with telling it like it is?

12. jonhcox macrumors regular

Finally a smart thought.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Capitalism isn't supposed to have a heart.

You want it bad enough you either pay through the nose from a reseller or get in line at 12:30 AM.

14. iWannaBeAdored macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

People need to grow a pair and realise they are probably 99% scalpers.

15. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Seriously, unless you can get Apple to change their sales policy, you're going to have to just line up before 'teh Asians', or just order it online.

16. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Scaplers in my area come from all walks. Aside from it being extremely aggravating for the average Apple core customer, by Apple allowing the scalping to happen, I'd like to know what the dollar amount of residual business is that Apple is losing in add on sales such as ipad cases and accessories to the likes of Best Buy and Target. I for one could not get an iPad, but was optimistic and bought a Smart Case and waited. Still haven't gotten it, but since then I have returned the Smart Case and will probably just get a skin and screen protector. Had I been able to get an iPad, I may not have given it a second thought and kept it.

Either way, smart business never allows your customer to be influenced by other choices. These scalpers will probably never lay a foot inside an Apple store again, until another situtation like this arises so why should they be catered to?

17. vitog123 macrumors 6502

is this going to happen with the iphone 5 as well?

i stood in line for my iphone 4 on opening day @ the at&t store and didnt have much of a problem.

Is it harder for the scalpers because phone contracts? I hope the iphone 5 launch is better controlled.

18. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yes, you'll see little to no scalpers on the iPhone lines. Nothing like having to sign a contract for $2000+ over 2 years to prevent scalping...

19. vitog123 macrumors 6502

i wonder if apple did some kind of mail-in rebate for the next ipad launch if that would prevent it.
    Register your product with a U.S. mailing address and receive a rebate similar to the iphone contract discount?

20. woodsy macrumors newbie

Why don't apple just use the policy they did with the original iphone?

1 per person and you can only pay using a credit/debit card. Simples!

If you try to buy another ipad with the same card, it would flag up on their system. (think they only had a 4 week flag on cards though)

21. navt macrumors newbie

They are not scalpers. They are vendor employees there to collect iPads for return to factory for repair. ;)

22. KingOfScalpers macrumors member

My minions hard at work. Leave my people alone.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

Remember ipad1 launch and how Apple got raked over the coals for preventing some lady from buying her ipad and it turned into some race thing? Also a couple NY stores started checking ID's/passports to prevent scalpers and got investigated by Cuomo?

So this time it's first-come, first-served. Get there early, or pay someone to get there early for you. Free market FTW!

24. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Huh!? Who said anything about only Asians or racial profiling against them? They shouldn't ONLY prevent Asians from buying more than 2, they should prevent ANYBODY from buying so many so they can distribute them in a timely manner to everybody that wants them. And when the scalping is so apparent (as it has been), action should be taken. It has NOTHING to do with race and you're both COMPLETELY missing the point.