Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Too many "political correct" users on here.. will not comment any further on race.

What is politically incorrect about saying whether they were elderly Chinese women? The vast majority, if not all the scalpers I have seen buying the 6 and 6+ were Chinese. Just stating a fact.

Bobo03

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
What is wrong with society? It is ok to if you say someone is "blank" race.

I saw a white guy, black guy, Asian guy, etc etc. Stating an individual's race isn't racist. America is turning into a bunch of babies.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
You gotta admit, they had balls to actually upsell a phone inside the Apple store. That's just utter balls.

At least they are not selling Samsung phones or drugs.

This map explain exactly why they are so many people from Asia in the USA, and some day you will see more asian people than anyone else.

population.jpg

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
This debate has been rehashed many times on Macrumors, and it comes down to this: some people (most, I would wager), support an orderly society where people follow the law. Others (not necessarily the person you are replying to) value an anarchic free-market economics at the cost of nearly everything else. They don't care about the filth and trash that the camping scalpers in NYC left behind, or the cost of police overtime to the taxpayers. Rules are for other people.

And yes, I am a crank shouting at the self-entitled kids to get off my lawn! :)

So what laws have the scalpers been breaking?

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I know this is unpopular opinion, but they're technically not doing anything illegal. Once they buy it, they can do what they want with it. As long as the buyer is willing to pay for it, it's not something I'll lose sleep over.

Still think it's unethical and it infringes on Apple's trademark rights though.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Lol. And you have proof of this? Or even reason for suspicion?

If you hold a garage sale technically supposed to collect and pay sales or use tax to the govt. selling these iphones are no different.

If the store manager found out and called the cops they could be charged with trespassing or other minor offense.

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I was in NYC a week ago and someone tried to sell me an unlocked Iphone 6 plus for $999.99. haha no way in heck was I going to do that.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Taking scalpers out of the equation means that more people who actually will use the device in the intended market will get their hands on them faster.

Wrong. You are forgetting that if a market exists for scalping, the person who buys from the scalper "will use the device". So net sum is zero.

If Apple made 10M iPhones available in its initial production/sales run and they sell out, that means 10M end consumers end up with iPhones - regardless of whether 10, 10,000, or 1M of those phones were bought and resold by scalpers.

You get an "F" in basic economics.

----------

tax evasion

Exactly how are all scalpers committing tax evasion? Do you even know what you're talking about or are you just pulling terms you hear on TV out of your ***?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Lol, someone please go get your grandma out the Apple Store. smh!

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx
nothing related...

the first thing i thought, when i saw this topic... was the scalp on my head

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
What is wrong with society? It is ok to if you say someone is "blank" race.

I saw a white guy, black guy, Asian guy, etc etc. Stating an individual's race isn't racist. America is turning into a bunch of babies.
Hmmmm well when the race of the individual adds ZERO to the story, why even bring up race?

Reporting facts, such as their race, is not racist. It's like saying that they are ladies is a sexist statement.
Really? There is a negative connotation about Chinese scalpers here on MR..... do the searches. When adding the race of the person does nothing to add to the story why include it? Or as OP did..."not" include it?

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
If you hold a garage sale technically supposed to collect and pay sales or use tax to the govt. selling these iphones are no different.

If the store manager found out and called the cops they could be charged with trespassing or other minor offense.

And there is no proof or reason to suspect that any laws are broken. Gut feelings are not reasons.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Hmmmmm nope...... can only be charged with trespassing if they refused to leave after being asked to do so. Simply being on the property isn't a criminal offense if the public is allowed in the same area at the same time.

People like you make me fear for the future.... You have no clue what your rights actually are and that allows mistaken bacon who wants to over flex their power to feel empowered and allows them to think it's ok to stomp on all people's rights.

----------

And there is no proof or reason to suspect that any laws are broken. Gut feelings are not reasons.

what he said.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I should walk in there with an INS jacket and see how many of them run

Lol INS doesn't exist anymore....just wear an ICE jacket or easier enough just wear any Law Enforcement jacket and they'll probably scram lol. But seriously don't take me seriously as the feds get all butt hurt when civvies/others wear their super-special-secret-squirell-raid jackets. I saw a US Marshal get all bent out of shape when a local police officer wore a US Marshal raid jacket on a joint raid because the local cop didn't have any identifying jacket.

Hmmmmm nope...... can only be charged with trespassing if they refused to leave after being asked to do so. Simply being on the property isn't a criminal offense if the public is allowed in the same area at the same time.
Precisely. The trespassing threat is enough to ward off 99.9999999999999% of scalpers if needed....surely no one would want to be charged with trespassing when they can find another hotspot to wheel and deal...I don't understand why people assume something is illegal if its frowned on...all you gotta do is learn some basic law...its really sad...I even see LE officials not know citizens rights...

Did not want be accused of being racist...
Sounds kind of paranoid but in this day and age I understand....that said who cares? I call people out all the time, I am not afraid of "race baiters" as I treat everyone equally as crappy if they do something wrong no matter what color they are....

Last edited:

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Just got back from an Apple store in NYC, 3 different eldery folks (will not mention race, will not mention race) asked me if I wanted to buy a 6 plus for $80 over cost. The store is packed so they are not so obvious to the employees

I'm guessing they will just return the phone for cash after 14 days if no bites...

Looks like overseas demand is waning, or the risk/reward to ship overseas is not justified.

Who says you can't work for Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.