Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john991

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
If you're using the Apple TV 4 check the following:

1. Go to---> Settings/Accounts/iCloud
2. Make sure that under your iCloud account you see that Homekit is "Connected".

After the iOS 10 release if you don't have your house connected, the App loses the identities of the doors after a day or two. This happened to me. I had to log out and log back in. A few minutes after logging back in my house appeared as connected. Haven't had any issues since.

Other than this, I'm really happy with the Sense locks. I have HomeKit unlock all my doors at night automatically at 9pm so I'm never lying in bed wondering if I locked the doors.

Thanks, mine says connected, but I wonder if my issue is if my internet goes down the the Apple TV doesn't reconnect automatically when the internet comes back up.

I'll have to do some testing and see if this is my issue.

PS: I think you meant at 9pm HomeKit locks the door. Not unlock.

Erpeters3

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
If you're using the Apple TV 4 check the following:

1. Go to---> Settings/Accounts/iCloud
2. Make sure that under your iCloud account you see that Homekit is "Connected".

After the iOS 10 release if you don't have your house connected, the App loses the identities of the doors after a day or two. This happened to me. I had to log out and log back in. A few minutes after logging back in my house appeared as connected. Haven't had any issues since.

Other than this, I'm really happy with the Sense locks. I have HomeKit unlock all my doors at night automatically at 9pm so I'm never lying in bed wondering if I locked the doors.

I've got about 5 Hubs connected. All AtV 4 or iPad. Both locks are now "unsupported". Hopefully the previously mentioned firmware update next week resolves.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
i still have the problem of after a day or 2 the lock loses connection. All of these problems started with iOS 10, tvOS 10 and the lock firmware update. Everything was working perfectly on iOS 9

i hope it is a firmware update that they are working on. Also it seems that with tvOS 10 my ATV4 keep dropping the internet connection, maybe this is causing the lock to lose its connection. I don't know, all of the software sucks lately. I didn't have any problems with my ATV or lock with iOS 9

Erpeters3

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I talked to Schlage. They are in final testing with Apple and expect an updated firmware this week.

mtngal

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2015
I just downloaded the firmware and everything is seems to be working correctly. But then, I haven't had a lot of problem since the last iOS update and after deleting the lock from HomeKit and then it seemed to start working again. I'm about to download that now - probably should have done that first.

Erpeters3

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
So one day in. The locks are staying configured which is a. Improvement. Fetching their status and connecting to them to operate is spotty. So they remain unreliable in HomeKit. My main purpose is to know all doors are locked at bedtime. Can't see that reliably. Shame.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I just bought one on the weekend and seems to work fine except sometimes I get duplicate notifications when unlocking or locking (in comparison my ISY994i and HomeBridge with an I/O Linc on my Garage door is 100% every time when it opens or closes and never duplicates).

I have an AppleTV4 and it works real good both at home and away from home. When I first got it, it seemed to take forever to read the settings with the IOS app via bluetooth, but now it is real fast.. not sure why but not really complaining. I guess I bought at right time after most of the HomeKit issues are resolved.

I picked this over the August because, for the same price, I thought it was a way better deal (has a keypad) and August is pretty ugly with the huge round knob inside. Since I am the only one in my household that really plays with this stuff, having a keypad is nice for others to use (can get a keypad for August but is more money). I don't think August has full iOS support either..

akswun

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2009
I just bought one on the weekend and seems to work fine except sometimes I get duplicate notifications when unlocking or locking (in comparison my ISY994i and HomeBridge with an I/O Linc on my Garage door is 100% every time when it opens or closes and never duplicates).

I have an AppleTV4 and it works real good both at home and away from home. When I first got it, it seemed to take forever to read the settings with the IOS app via bluetooth, but now it is real fast.. not sure why but not really complaining. I guess I bought at right time after most of the HomeKit issues are resolved.

I picked this over the August because, for the same price, I thought it was a way better deal (has a keypad) and August is pretty ugly with the huge round knob inside. Since I am the only one in my household that really plays with this stuff, having a keypad is nice for others to use (can get a keypad for August but is more money). I don't think August has full iOS support either..

I've noticed this issue as well since updating to ios10.1 (10.1.1 is out right now). I was getting one notification prior to the update. But the connection has been faster and stronger than in previous iOS versions. Which I can't complain at this time.

My issue now is that my ecobee3 can't seem to connect to Homekit but I can open it in the ecobee app.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana

Yeah, I've never had any issues with remote info or locking/unlocking either. I or my wife will typically unlock my front door before I get home (whoevers not driving).

akswun

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2009
The recent updates have made everythign pretty fast and stable. It's just I get double and sometimes triple notifications that the door is unlocked/locked. Kind of annoying but everything seems to connect pretty fast.

Reactions: luckydcxx

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
The recent updates have made everythign pretty fast and stable. It's just I get double and sometimes triple notifications that the door is unlocked/locked. Kind of annoying but everything seems to connect pretty fast.

I have the same experience with firmware 3.58.0 released this week. My two locks are more reliable, no disconnects yet, but I get tons of duplicate notifications, even when nobody is using the lock. It will be the middle of the day or night and all of a sudden I get 10 notifications in 5 seconds that the door is locked. Sometimes it was when I was when I entered bluetooth range with my iPhone, but many times it was in the middle of the night when nobody's iPhone was near the locks. It got so annoying that I had to disable notifications.

Reactions: luckydcxx

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
I've noticed this issue as well since updating to ios10.1 (10.1.1 is out right now). I was getting one notification prior to the update. But the connection has been faster and stronger than in previous iOS versions. Which I can't complain at this time.

My issue now is that my ecobee3 can't seem to connect to Homekit but I can open it in the ecobee app.

Well my homekit server ended up being IPad Pro -- it just automagically connected to it rather than Apple TV so left it. It worked pretty well as long as I left my iPad open and even thought screen was off for screen save. But I updated my iPad to 10.1.1 and sure enough the sense app no longer saw the lock (codes as such were working and the like). So i finally rebooted the Ipad and now it sees the lock and also the update for lock which is almost downloaded now. But homekit says it is not compatable with the lock now on my Iphone and the sense app does not see the lock even after reboot (with 10.1.1 on iPhone. So of course siri will not work with lock I guess after firmware update will see if this fixes issue for my Iphone

Update:

My iPad which could see the lock after I rebooted finished and boom home kit works now and sees the lock and updates status like normally. And after rebooting my iPhone Schlage sense app it sees the lock now like the Ipad did. Had to be something with the 10.1.1 update. I had 10.x for some time as beta tester and final 10.x Gold Master and all was fine. Seems the 10.1.1 update did something to my iPad that is doing the Homekit serving and the connection to the lock via the app. All seems well and very responsive again. I guess I have to watch apple updates they seem to easily break things.. ;-)

Last edited:

mjolnir1982

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2016
Anyone have any trouble actually getting firmware 3.58 to apply to the lock? I've tried everything suggested on the Schlage blog.

1. Turn on Airplane Mode and turn on Bluetooth (to prevent trying to update through ATV4).
2. Reboot phone.
3. Factory reset lock.

Without fail all that happens is I hear two beeps from outside and 10-20 seconds later the Schlage app says "Firmware failed to be sent to the lock. Please try again."

I won't be home when Schlage support is open for several days. Thought I'd try you folks :).

Reactions: Conundrum192

robnbill

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Northern VA - Fairfax Area
Anyone have any trouble actually getting firmware 3.58 to apply to the lock? I've tried everything suggested on the Schlage blog.

1. Turn on Airplane Mode and turn on Bluetooth (to prevent trying to update through ATV4).
2. Reboot phone.
3. Factory reset lock.

Without fail all that happens is I hear two beeps from outside and 10-20 seconds later the Schlage app says "Firmware failed to be sent to the lock. Please try again."

I won't be home when Schlage support is open for several days. Thought I'd try you folks :).

We have two Sense locks now - and they updated to the latest version. Had a problem with the first one - called Schlage - they said to reset the lock (forgot how that's done) - I did and it updated.

I'm assuming your phone is close - and you keep it on the app during the attempted update.

I may be wrong - but the update only comes via the iPhone - not the ATV4.

With the support center they were helpful and gave me instructions on how to properly reset the lock for a retry.

When you solve the issue perhaps you could post what you did.

john991

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
We have two Sense locks now - and they updated to the latest version. Had a problem with the first one - called Schlage - they said to reset the lock (forgot how that's done) - I did and it updated.

I'm assuming your phone is close - and you keep it on the app during the attempted update.

With the support center they were helpful and gave me instructions on how to properly reset the lock for a retry.

Not sure if it's just me, but my schlage sense locks, I hear the lock power lock, then 4 seconds later I hear the power seem to lock again, but it was already locked.

I reset the lock back to default settings, then the lock worked properly, would lock and right after I would hear the motor seem to lock again. Without the 4 second delay, once I setup the sense with HomeKit I started having the 4 second delay.

Anyone else notice this?

robnbill

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Northern VA - Fairfax Area
Not sure if it's just me, but my schlage sense locks, I hear the lock power lock, then 4 seconds later I hear the power seem to lock again, but it was already locked.

I reset the lock back to default settings, then the lock worked properly, would lock and right after I would hear the motor seem to lock again. Without the 4 second delay, once I setup the sense with HomeKit I started having the 4 second delay.

Anyone else notice this?
I checked our locks and we do not get a second lock attempt - and the locks are under HK. You might want to call Schlage and see what they have to say.

mjolnir1982

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2016

Bet you thought I forgot...

Finally got it by using my iPad that was still on iOS 10.1.1. Apparently iOS 10.2+ is the problem. If you can get ahold of a 10.1 device, it goes right on.

john991

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
I checked our locks and we do not get a second lock attempt - and the locks are under HK. You might want to call Schlage and see what they have to say.

My problem was the batteries. Even thou Schlage said the batteries had 78% left they weren't really 78%. (I was using Panasonic batteries, now I'm using Duracell and no problems now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.