Scratch/dent on new MBP (too obsessive?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Noomi, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Noomi macrumors newbie

Hey!

This is my first post, since I finally dare to post here now that I'm also an owner of a Mac. I did receive my new MBP 15" yesterday and did notice a (really depending on the lightning) noticeable scratch/dent that was there when I took it out of the box.

Since this nice piece of engineering cost me ~2.500$ I would have loved to become it in perfect shape (knowing that I'll probably scratch it myself over time). I ended up finding the dent in the pictures below :(.

Am I too obsessed with perfection for not really liking this that close to the Apple logo. As I said it is dependent on the lightning/view angle how hard you notice it. I guess I would have to completely return it and order a new one to get it replaced, if I should decide to do so. Is there maybe any other trick to make things like this not that visible - besides a case?

Further away:
    [​IMG]

Up close:
    [​IMG]

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Well, it's up to you. But I personally would not worry about that particular flaw.

3. mike2732 macrumors member

Seeing this thread forced me to look carefully over my lid... I found something similar. Just ignore it, there's bound to be minor flaws.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Indubitably.

5. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

That's like a dead pixel on your monitor that you will stare at all the time. Lol, take it in when it begins to drive you crazy.

6. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

OP, ultimately it all depends on you. However, I personally would just bring/send it back to Apple for an exchange simply because once I know the dent is there, I'll constantly be thinking about it & it'll just annoy the crap out of me. :eek:

7. Noomi thread starter macrumors newbie

That is actually what I'm afraid of, not loving my new MB as much as I would have without the dent. I do like the feel and everything about this MacBook but I guess something like this which is as I can see from this post something not even visible to many others or a really really small imperfection would probably not make me viable for an exchange.

Maybe my obsession started when I installed Coconut Battery after I first started the MBP and saw a battery capacity of 97%. I did read that there is a tolerance and stuff but it already went to 96% today (currently I'm trying to calibrate the battery - like Apple says in their FAQ). Dunno if that will change anything there.

8. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

I emphasize. It is new, it is still special.

But in a few months it will have collected more minor scratches. But you won't care because the MBP has turned from a shrine to a work device.

At least that's how it is for me. Every time. The first scratch is the toughest. :)

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

[​IMG]

Wait... I think I see it...

Relax, it's tiny.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Then go exchange it. It's your call.

11. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

think of it as the first bump being out of the way. now you don't have to obsess over the thing anymore.

12. Noomi thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if an exchange is even possible within the 2 week return time frame or will I have to return it and buy a new one?

Thanks for your help :)

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If its below two weeks old, then I would demand that they switch it out for a new one. Just take everything with you (box, papers, receipt, etc) and switch it out for a new one. If they offer to repair it, then just tell them that you want a replacement, or you'll just return the computer.

My experience with the Apple Store repairing my computer hasn't been top notch, and I doubt you want to wait for it to get fixed.

14. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

cosmetic things like that out of the box, I'd be a bit more concerned about but it doesnt look overly bad. Kind of your call at this point if you want to swap it out.

When I got my new 15" High-Res I noticed a dead pixel right away, and before it used to irritate make when I would get displays with dead pixels but fortunately its not dead center and not that big of a deal considering its the way it is with larger displays.

15. Noomi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is below 2 weeks old - the age of the battery even shows 0 weeks and 1 cycle which is what is actually confusing me about its bevahiour/condition reported from Coconut Battery.

I ordered it online at the official Apple Store so I guess I will try the Apple Hotline tomorrow and see what I can work out. Although I think returning it would be a wiser option since it seems that if the visitors of this forum already somehow agree that I'm too obsessive I guess the apple support team will think I'm insane when I'll try to explain my problem :eek:.