Scratch On My MBP [MacBook Pro]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LucasBoy, Jul 3, 2009.

1. LucasBoy macrumors member

hey people, i got a new macbook pro and i have this small and not deep scratch on the lid. i would love to get the scratch off because it is annoying to look at. i got the speck see-thru case to protect it but i still want to get the scratch off. do anyone have any good and cheap products that won't mess up my mac but will get the scratch off?

2. Benjic macrumors regular

Welcome to the world of stickers.

3. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

If your within your 20 days or whatever it is, just return it and get another one.

4. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

How deep the scratch is? Can you post a picture?
    Al is quite simply polishable. The thing is, it depends from the depth. You could try with very fine sandpaper, probably a 1500-2000 grit and then a finer one, such as 3000 grit.

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I feel your pain, but it won't be the last scratch no matter how careful you are with it.

Learn to love it even with it's flaws.:)

If you can't, then enjoy paying the restocking fee to Apple.
    Also, sandpaper is a horrible idea IMHO. :eek:

6. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

i got it like 2 days ago and its like a really really small scratch and not deep i can't feel it but it is still annoying to know it is there and
    i would love to return it but it says on the back of the receipt that if any product is personalized it cannot be returned and i guess it is personalized since it has my music and photos and custom settings etc
    but i wanna know if anyone knows any good products
    i was thinking about iKlear but it says its only for the screen to remove dust so i don't know if it is good for scratches

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Putting your data on your MacBook Pro is not considered personalizing. What Apple means is, say an iPod for example, has it embroidered with a name. If you had it for 2 days, go back and exchange it with no restocking fee.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ha ha, personalized does not mean that you put your personal music on it. Sorry to laugh but that was comical. Personalized means if you ordered it BTO or had any engravings.
    At any rate, chances are they won't take it back for a small scratch unless you pay a restocking fee but it never hurts to try. If you can't take a dampened cloth (with water) and wipe the scratch with slight pressure then doing anything else might ruin the finish.

9. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

WOW don't use sandpaper!!! just pay the restocking fee if you can't live with it. I'm getting the Speck Seethru when it comes out for the Macbook Pro 13:mad: Come on its almost been a month!!!!

10. hamish5178 macrumors member

there is a restocking fee if the product is opened.

11. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

just live with it. you will always get scratches on your notebook. and imho a speck/incase case just traps dirt in there and scratches it more. Of course, you can always return it if you pay the restocking fee. Just remember you new one will get a scratch on it as well.

12. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

A scratch here and there in small places gives your notebook character and shows that it's actually being used. Haha, in my opinion it makes it even nicer and more personalized for yourself. And yes, if you get a new one, that one will become scratched too, so one way or another you gotta deal with it :p.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

is the OP saying that he made the scratch or it came like that?

U dont have to pay a restock fee if you return a scratched item do you?

14. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

I think he's saying he caused it somehow himself.

In an ideal world you shouldn't have to pay a restock fee if the item came scratched, but theres not really a good way to prove the you didn't do it yourself.

OP, by chance, if you look at it from right up above, does the scratch blend in with the lid to the point where you can't see it? if thats the case you may be able to wipe it off with a damp cloth.
    I one day noticed what I thought were scratches, examined it closely and noticed this odd aspect, wiped at it a bit with a damp cloth and it was gone!

15. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

When I unboxed my MBP, I found a fairly large unattractive scratch by the Apply logo. At first I figured it was just a smudge, so I licked the tip of my finger and tried to rub it out, but I was dismayed when I discovered that it didn't come out.

So I got a Magic Eraser, dampened it, and rubbed the scratch. Fortunately it wasn't a scratch but some dirt. So try the Magic Eraser!

16. hamish5178 macrumors member

The magic erasser is an abrasive, like very fine sandpaper. I wouldn't take one anywhere near something pretty and valuable.

17. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

It's really not as abrasive as you may believe. I cleaned my BlackBook with it plenty of times as the matte finish often accumulated grease, and I never came across any undesirable effects. It looked new every times. I certainly wouldn't use it on the glossy screen however.

Moderation is key.

18. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Aluminum is a soft, unforgiving metal. It will scratch no matter what . If you put a case on it, it makes the notebook considerably thicker, thereby losing the appeal of the apple notebook. I really like thin notebooks.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You can take it back. However, thats not going to mean the next on is scratch proof.

The more you use your Mac, the more prone it is to scratching. You just have to deal with the fact that no matter how much you care for it, it will always scratch.

20. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

my umb is pretty scratched up. Whatever, I don't care at least it gets used....

Now my iPhone on the other hand is pristine. I don't get myself.

21. lanestew macrumors member

lanestew

22. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

well i got a speck see-thru already and the scratch is like at the edge of the top and i don't think you will see it unless you are actually trying to find it. even my dad couldn't see it
    i guess i'll try to live with it
    but you guys say about returning and the restock fee how much is that usually?

23. Panzo macrumors 6502

24. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

yea, just return it.

25. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik