Scratched iPhone 5 Bezel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HarryClark2, Jun 13, 2013.

1. HarryClark2 macrumors newbie

hi
    basically i got an iPhone 5 on contract from Carphone Warehouse (it has 1 year warranty from apple) about a month ago, It had a few small scuffs out of the box which i didn't really worry too much about at the start however i used a case i purchased through the apple store taking it off and cleaning and putting it back on about every week or so and have noticed some quite bad scratches on the side ( some visible without light shining on them and many with ) i have phoned apple who said they cant replace it as it is not a technical fault ( I did not mention scratches out of the box ) and carphone warehouse told me to speak to apple to get it replaced.

Is there anything else I can do? (Im in the UK)
    Many thanks
    -Harry

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can just get over it.
    Its a cellphone, it will scratch no matter how much you baby it.
    If you're sitting there looking for marks and shining a light to it in order to look for imperfections then you know you are OCD.

3. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

That is not true at all. I have had my iPhone 5 since Oct. and do not have a scratch on it. I don't baby it, but I do take care of it. I don't do anything stupid with it. It is not unreasonable to think you can keep your smartphone scratch free. I did with my iPhone 4, nexus s, and galaxy nexus.

Back to the OP since AppleJuiced does not seem to want to help just give you crap. I would call Apple again and tell them that there were scratches out of the box, and just see what they can do. It has never hurt to try.

4. HarryClark2 thread starter macrumors newbie

ill give it a go tomorrow thanks for the reply

5. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

He'll call them again, and get denied, then post on this forum his results. OP, listen to Applejuiced. 1st world problems

6. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I glad you are so sure. Do you work for Apple? I have seen them do a lot more for people.

7. HarryClark2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can understand if it was 6-8 months down the line but 4 weeks? not really on for a £500-£600 phone

8. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Sell it as is. Quit complaining. But flip phone.

9. HarryClark2 thread starter macrumors newbie

why would I sell it if I only got it 4 weeks ago?

10. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Because you don't like scratches. :confused:

11. HarryClark2 thread starter macrumors newbie

its not that i don't like them I just find it annoying that the phone is brand new and i am having issues with it already

12. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Yeah, so sell it. Be done with the issues. Move on.

13. itjw macrumors 65816

You aren't having issues with it. You damaged it. Maybe it did have "scuffs out of the box" but they weren't enough of an issue at the time to even complain about, let alone return/swap it over, so it's irrelevant now and just sounds like you're making it up. Would you believe your story? Really?

How can it possibly be that there are literally people that use the phone naked for months and have no "scuffs" and yet there are people who seem to have nothing but bare aluminum left after a week?

No, not "defective anodizing" Jay (LOL), it's called NEGLECT. And in various stages of it I'd add, because some are far worse than others.

Truly though, if it bothers you a lot, just get one of those old rubberized NexTel Sprint phones and be happy you can chuck it at a brick wall. If you want a NON rubber phone to remain flawless, you need to be careful with it. I know it seems like common sense, but here we are.

I don't "baby" mine, and I have been naked since lauch. One tiny mark by the volume rocker (finally noticed it) is about all the "issues" I have had.

On the other hand, they do sell OtterBox's if you simply can't be careful. The best part is, it'll cover up your "issues" AND prevent any more in the future (and yes, I realize if you have mental challenges you can damage a phone in an OtterBox... it's a tight fit for a reason, and if you go all crazy on it and slam it in it MIGHT cause some "scuffs" too lol).

Issue solved!

/thread

:D

14. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Try polishing your bezel. My wife will often polish mine for me.

15. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Apple warranty does not cover cosmetic damage, including (but not limited to) scratches and dents or to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the device.

(I'm paraphrasing official documentation.)

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A month later he's going to try to tell them there was scratches on it from day 1?

17. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

My black 5 came with a few very minor scuffs. I put a Belkin Grip Candy on it and haven't given it a second thought since. I really enjoy the phone. Don't baby it, but take care of the investment. Use it to the point of wearing it out. After all, that's what it's for.

----------

Yeah, they used to do a lot more... back in 2008.

18. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I have seen people do things worse than that and ask for a replacement and get it. To call the guy OCD is stupid.

19. AFDoc, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

Let me inspect it I bet I can find some scratches. A-Juiced isn't giving him crap, he's giving him a little dose of REALITY! It's a phone not a painting hanging on a wall. Of course one wants to keep their phone as nice as possible for as long as possible but it's a simple fact, if you use your phone it will show signs of wear. If you use a case and no side protection eventually that case will cause micro scratches.

OP- IF there were scratches out of the box you should of said something then. Don't get mad at apple if they don't replace your phone as they have zero obligation to do so. You say there were scratches out of the box and now you have caused more.... why should apple replace your phone for scratches you caused?

No, not really. The guy put on a case that caused scratches and now he's mad because there are scratches. Sounds a bit OCD to me.

20. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I will say this again. I have has my iPhone 5 since Oct. and have had it naked at some points and don't have a scratch on it. There is not allows this "wear and tear" effect on phones. Sure if you do something stupid, but if you take care of your phone this should not happen.

21. Caesars macrumors regular

I must be one of the few who don't have scratches all over my black iPhone, of course the only hard plastic lined case that touches my phone is a defender and every other case I have is soft gel or silicone lined.

As writing this I remembers about my mophies, surprised those haven't scratched my phone up yet.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's against their policy. And just because a few got away with abusing the warranty service over ridiculous ocd claims it doesn't mean he should try to pull a fast one too.

23. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Oh there are just a few people that returned their phones because of scratches? That is crazy if you think that. Tons of people were pulling their phones out of the box and looking for any little thing they could find.

I don't think a 4 week old phone should be being scratched up by a case. I don't know of any other phone that you can't put a case on cause it will scratch your phone. It seems that is a quality issue and should be covered under the warranty.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt a month later you can walk in there with a straight face and say all those scratches were there since you bought it.
    If it was within days or at least the 1st week you got it ok but after a month it smells funny...

25. HarryClark2 thread starter macrumors newbie

its a manufacturing issue and is scratched through no fault of my own i bought the phone and didnt even take it outside until i had bought a good case, i bought one from APPLE and it has made the scratching worse.
    I have not mistreated it at all and have been extremely careful with it and it still badly scratched 4 weeks down the line