scratches on ss model .... less than a week.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sahilpatel12, Apr 8, 2015.

1. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

watch verge video didnt seem anything old but ran across reddit post and saw and oh...

http://imgur.com/0DDdJLJ he said they had it for a week now

and not sure what that power thing is around that charging area. someone mention dead skin but not expert on that field.

2. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I've got a stainless steel Movado, chock full of little scratches.

It cab be buffed out at a jeweler. Wonder how that goes with the apple watch.

3. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

All highly polished stainless steel watches get light scratches on them eventually from wear. All three of my Omega's have light scratches from being under shirt cuffs. The aluminum watch might fare better in this regard.

4. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Oh god, scratches on a metal object, the sky is falling!

Jesus christ...

Check ANY steel object used regularly in your house, guaranteed you'll find scratches on it. Why would you ever expect anything else?

5. kovey macrumors 6502a

The clowns in this forum will tell you that they refuse to use any cases/protection for their phones and it's flawless.. yet if you looked at it, it'd be full of scratches, just like the watch in that picture. This is why a bumper/case is not a bad idea for the watch. Spine just put up a bunch on their site.

6. Lizardo90 macrumors member

at the beginning of the video you see he kept it on top of his keys...So no surprise their would be scratches on it.

7. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

It'll look huge and ridiculous on your arm with a bumper on it, and you will look ridiculous wearing a watch with a bumper on it. Seriously, who puts a bumper on their watch? Nobody, that's who. (Who isn't a complete dork out of touch with reality, that is.)

People put bumpers (and other protection) on their phones because the risk they may accidentally drop it, but with a watch strapped to your arm there's no risk of that - unless your arm were to say, fall off, or something. In which case you probably got bigger concerns than a possible scratch on your watch...

8. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I wouldn't trust people like Nilay Patel to keep thing tidy.

9. sahilpatel12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

with a bumper (hard ) or tpc clear (slims ) it will give you protection from scratches like that

i would love to see people crying about scratches while would be scratchless hopefully :):D

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Except that no one wears cases on "regular" watches (unless you count those silly things on Swatches back in the 1980s). Watches get scratched. It's no big deal. The sapphire crystal on the stainless steel watch won't scratch, though.

11. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I've always loved the way the stainless watches I've had in the past lightly scratch up, just like I love the way a well used leather object wrinkles and pits. It shows it is well used, and meaningful to the owner.

But if you're desperately upset about tiny scratches, get the space black SS. It is DLC coated and that's basically impossible to scratch by any normal means. You have to dig out a substantial amount of metal to actually scratch it. You can scrape a key on it as hard as you want and the key itself will be ground away. You can just clean off the key's metal afterwards.

Anyway, people who have worn watches for years are surprised only by people being surprised by this outcome.

12. sahilpatel12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

its true my father can do it for me since hes a jeweler but he said hes kinda not wanting to not mess with it. since it can be dangerous to buff that scratch on pic i posted since it next to senors for heartrate

13. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

I have SS mechanical watches and they get scuffed up over time. But the scuffs can easily be buffed away.

14. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I would think aluminum is softer?

As aluminum is lighter, if it's also more scratch resistant, I'm not sure why anyone would bother with SS

15. durangojim macrumors regular

My SS Rolex and SS both have scratches. No big deal. If you're worried go get them buffed out.

16. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

OMG. I would rather have a few 'life' scratches on my SS than a freaking cover! Are these people wrapping saran wrap around their bands too?

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Aluminum is also had a tendancy to be dinged. I'd rather have light scratches than a ding on my watch.

18. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

This is why I'm getting the space black ss with the DLC coating.

19. yellolab macrumors member

yellolab

I was thinking that also but worry about the DLC chipping/scratching showing the metal underneath, making the scratching really stand out.

20. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

That's a demo watch sent to a reviewer who:
    A. doesn't care what happens to it
    B. likely passed it around to everyone in the office who (see A)

Lay it on an eyeglasses cleaning cloth when you charge and all will be well.

21. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the world of owning a stainless steel watch.

Also, you're looking at a macro shot there. From your eyes to your wrist, you'd never notice.

22. sahilpatel12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

IMG_0751.JPG hmm ok? had one since i was 10, im 19 now

23. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Congratulations!

24. sahilpatel12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

makes me feel so much better now :) :p:D

25. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

That doesn't really look like scratches to me. It looks more like the pattern you get when hair is rubbed against oil. I'm sure it scratches easily, but to have a rough patch on the bottom side after one week is hard to believe.