Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Stainless steel watches get scratches. Especially if we're talking about polished, which we are. Watches are meant to be worn, and they're going to get scratched. You have two choices. Wear your watch and view the wear as part of it's character and personality, or put a case on your watch so it never scratches up and you never get to enjoy it's original design.

This situation is not unique to the Apple Watch.

makes me feel so much better now :) :p:D

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
It'll look huge and ridiculous on your arm with a bumper on it, and you will look ridiculous wearing a watch with a bumper on it. Seriously, who puts a bumper on their watch? Nobody, that's who. (Who isn't a complete dork out of touch with reality, that is.)

People put bumpers (and other protection) on their phones because the risk they may accidentally drop it, but with a watch strapped to your arm there's no risk of that - unless your arm were to say, fall off, or something. In which case you probably got bigger concerns than a possible scratch on your watch...

Priceless! Best laugh of the day.

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
No, no one wears a watch with bumpers. You know why? Until now, if you were hard on a watch you bought This:
DW9052-1C4_xlarge.png

Now you can get an apple, and put a bumper on it - course, why by a SS if you put a bumper on it, just get a sport then.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
No problem. Just dispose of it and get a new one with no scratches.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Scratches are part of the watch experience. Getting into acceptance will insure you enjoy your watch. Perfectionists may find its just too much to deal with.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
What I've learned about the Apple Watch is actually nothing about the Apple Watch, but more about the macruqmor users - they have never owned a stainless steel watch before.

Stainless steel will scratch. And then after time you buff it out and the scratches are gone.

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
My Invicta watch was full of scratches after just a few days. Not really on the face, more of the Buckle. Not sure how he even gets scratches on the underside like that?

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
with a bumper (hard ) or tpc clear (slims ) it will give you protection from scratches like that

i would love to see people crying about scratches while would be scratchless hopefully :):D

But you wouldn't know because it is behind the bumper. Why on earth would you pay the ungodly premium Apple is charging on the stainless steel just so you could cover it up? Buy a Sport if you are going to do that.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
316L steel is like leather. With usage, leather develops a patina which is very desirable. 316L steel in this case develops micro scratches, scuffs, and wear. It's a feature, not a problem. You can always get the steel buffed and refinished if you want to reset the wear. It's more fashionable to have wear these days. It means you've lived a life.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
It'll look huge and ridiculous on your arm with a bumper on it, and you will look ridiculous wearing a watch with a bumper on it. Seriously, who puts a bumper on their watch? Nobody, that's who. (Who isn't a complete dork out of touch with reality, that is.)

People put bumpers (and other protection) on their phones because the risk they may accidentally drop it, but with a watch strapped to your arm there's no risk of that - unless your arm were to say, fall off, or something. In which case you probably got bigger concerns than a possible scratch on your watch...
Exactly!

My advice: if he's really that obsessed with bumpers, I suggest he put one all over his body. This way, he won't have to worry about anything ever again.

Last edited:

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA

Hahaha I just burst out laughing. Great post.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I'm getting a space grey sport...and I'm getting a glass screen protector. Scratches on the screen BUG me, so I'm gonna be protected. The ion X glass will scratch just like the iPhone...and I have a glass protector on there, too. Some don't care..that's great! I do. $11 isn't bad to protect against scratches.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
The clowns in this forum will tell you that they refuse to use any cases/protection for their phones and it's flawless.. yet if you looked at it, it'd be full of scratches, just like the watch in that picture. This is why a bumper/case is not a bad idea for the watch. Spine just put up a bunch on their site.

'Clown' reporting. And yes, my phones have nary a scratch. Of course, I don't treat them like s tv remote. Never set them on hard surfaces, never put anything in the same pocket with it (not even paper), and I don't let go of it unintentionally.

When I traded in my 5S to buy my 6 Plus, I got top tier pricing for it and the guy taking my 5S kept looking between me and the phone and asked "how long have you had this?", to which I replied, "since the day they were launched." He was shocked.

Going naked is not for everyone if you wanna keep your pain in shape, but if you're willing to treat it right, it's very doable.

sahilpatel12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Merica
But you wouldn't know because it is behind the bumper. Why on earth would you pay the ungodly premium Apple is charging on the stainless steel just so you could cover it up? Buy a Sport if you are going to do that.

not sure if your just band wagoning but i have and still be ordering sport with A CASE\BUMPERS ;):D

zippyzoom

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2009
I wouldn't trust people like Nilay Patel to keep thing tidy.

Wow. How come?

----------

316L steel is like leather. With usage, leather develops a patina which is very desirable. 316L steel in this case develops micro scratches, scuffs, and wear. It's a feature, not a problem. You can always get the steel buffed and refinished if you want to reset the wear. It's more fashionable to have wear these days. It means you've lived a life.

I agree. What I love most about the iPhone 5 in black is how it looks when truly used - the markings, scratches and patina really adds to its character and makes it unique. As a corollary, "rustic", lived-in furniture is really taking hold as well - look at a Restoration Hardware catalog - it's just more human than pristine, unmarked devices.

sahilpatel12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Merica
Wow. How come?

----------

I agree. What I love most about the iPhone 5 in black is how it looks when truly used - the markings, scratches and patina really adds to its character and makes it unique. As a corollary, "rustic", lived-in furniture is really taking hold as well - look at a Restoration Hardware catalog - it's just more human than pristine, unmarked devices.

well to me by him saying that meant offense to me since im sure he was juding my race since some indians dont have tidy keeping skills and they are just a mess.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
Aluminum is also had a tendancy to be dinged. I'd rather have light scratches than a ding on my watch.

Not 7000 series aluminun, with magnesium & zine. Added while in its molten sate, then heat treated and anodized. The sport watch will be really durable out in the wild. I only which that apple would have gave it the sapphire crystal display. But the ion x glass should hold up pretty well with every day use.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Not 7000 series aluminun, with magnesium & zine. Added while in its molten sate, then heat treated and anodized. The sport watch will be really durable out in the wild. I only which that apple would have gave it the sapphire crystal display. But the ion x glass should hold up pretty well with every day use.

Sapphire will be harder to use outside. It's VERY reflective. Much moreso than regular glass. Also, and probably more importantly, it's far more prone to shattering than the Ion-X glass. So for a watch called "sport" it only makes sense to use Ion-X glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.