Screen Guard...or NO Screen Guard

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LaCosta, Mar 31, 2011.

1. LaCosta macrumors member

What are your choice for the front screen of an iPhone4?

....Screen Guard.
    ....NO Screen Guard.

Is it really necessary to protect the Gorrilla Glass that is on an iPhone4? I know that glass scratches....but what is it like for the Gorrilla Glass?

I have a screen protector on it currently. I am ok with it...but I don't think it will work well with my new TPU case I got. Looks like it is going to wrinkle the edge.

What are your thoughts about going without a screen guard?

2. Givmeabrek, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It's not the glass that will scratch. It's the oleophobic coating that scratches easily. Use a high quality protector like Power Support or SBG. Trim the protector before installing if you need to. :)

3. davelanger macrumors 6502a

A better reason for getting a screen guard is not for scratches but to protect for annoying fingerprints.

4. EnchantedPlague macrumors member

At first I thought that a screen guard was completely unnecessary. Then I saw what my girlfriend was able to do her screen. Since then I have always put on a screen guard and never looked back. (was able to get a pack of 10 both front and back for $5 on ebay, should last the life of the phone and they work well enough).

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Screen protectors are a waste of money. A scratch on your screen isn't going to prevent you from using your iPhone. I know a guy that's spent over $200 on screen protectors for his iPhone 4. He could of bought a screen replacement for that much. Insane waste of money.

It's a money scam. No way a thin piece of plastic should cost $20. Not to mention, it ruins the quality of the Retina display.

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I don't use screen protectors, because I don't like the looks or feel of them. I have tried just about all of them, at one time or the other, and IMO they are a pita.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

this works better as a poll...

I go 'guardless'!

9. LaCosta thread starter macrumors member

What does the oelophobic coating look like scratched? Is it discoloration streaks? Isn't the oelophobic just like a gloss to avoid smudges?

10. EnchantedPlague macrumors member

I would have to disagree. On my girlfriends phone, she managed to scratch her screen so bad that it was no longer smooth when you used the touch screen. In my mind, that can be super annoying and not something you want. A plus as I said, I got 10 screen protectors (front and back) for $5. Paying $20 for one is dumb.

11. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You can't see it.
    Yes

12. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

If she managed to scratch the glass THAT badly, then a screen protector wouldn't of done anything. Whatever managed to scratch the glass would of scratched right through the screen protector. (At least the way you described the scratch, it must be bad)

That actually happened to me with my old 3GS. I had a nice huge scratch across my screen shield, so I went to replace my screen sheild and I then noticed it went completely through.

13. LaCosta thread starter macrumors member

So if it is invisible.....and isscratched....does it have a rainbow or something?

14. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The coating doesn't scratch, it wears off.

15. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

The $20 ones do not.

16. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Not true. I had a $24.99 screen shield a few month ago, back when I baby'd my device. The orange peel effect was horrid and it ruined the retina display. It was an anti-fingerprint.

17. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

No actually it is true as I've had a PowerSupport screen protector on since August that is completely unnoticeable. Anti-glare and anti-fingerprint screen protectors have a completely different texture than the crystal ones and as a result do hinder the screen quality.

18. 87am macrumors regular

In my opinion and expirience with quite a few iPhones I'D say they are a waste. Somethibg to consider is that the screen on the iP4 is significantly stronger and more scratch resistant then previous models.... Yes you might see more broken when dropped, but thats more a reflection of The overall design.

19. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Screen guard or no screen guard: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of a blurred screen,
    Or to take a chance naked upon a sea of troubles.

20. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I've had some expensive ones that look terrible, and some cheap ones that look good, but they all change the feel of the phone, and that is my main beef with them.
    I bought the phone because I like the look and feel of the device, and I don't want to change that. My wife uses an Otterbox Defender on her phone, but she throws it in her purse, with all the other crap :D. I keep mine in a front pocket, and have never had problems with scratches, on three different iPhones.

21. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

So as a result I am correct?

Even crystal clear ones hinder the quality. (Most of them) Compare them side by side and you will notice it. The difference is minimal, but it is there.

As for the Anti-glare/Anti-fingerprint it does ruin the screen quality. A lot. When I had mine on, it almost didn't feel like I had a retina screen at all.

22. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

Get a screen protector; a good quality one, properly applied has ZERO affect on the display and is not even noticeable. It will also last you the life of the phone.

If not, you risk scratching which will happen regardless of how careful you are. Sometimes they're minor and invisible, but other times they can be larger and visible. My IP4 showed an inch long scratch which I don't know how it got there. It was really annoying.

Also, the anti-glare protectors, if you do decide to get one, will cause some pixellation which can affect your experience with the display.

But yeah, I'd say get one.

23. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I have a screen protector on the front and back because I usually never have a case on my phone, I too love the naked feel of the phone. I wouldn't ever be able to handle having a massive case like an Otterbox. I just didn't want to worry about scratches if I slide the phone across the counter, in and out of my pocket, etc. So for me, a screen guard is just an unobtrusive form of protection. I forget its even there. :)

If you want to be correct, then be.

I've compared them side by side. There is no difference with the PowerSupport screen protector on my phone. None. Or else I wouldn't use it.

And yup, anti-glare screen protectors do degrade the screen quality.

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Let's just put it this way: I would never spend more than a few bucks on screen protectors.

25. spikefood macrumors regular

I have used the Powersupport crystal clear screen protectors for every iphone since the first. And I can say for a fact they do not alter the display or change the feel of the phone. Also the protector is super handy for when you go to resell the phone. Just remove the cover and the phone has an out of the box brand new feel, regardless of how old it actually might be.