Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmjrk

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
I just received my 16 inch today. I've read people complaining about lower brightness and some other screen issues. While I can't comment on the brightness my screen definitely has yellowish tint and colors seem duller compared to 15 inch models from 2016 and 2017 I have on hand. Overall it's a great upgrade and so far I'm happy with everything except for the screen which I consider to be worse. I'm a bit disappointed, I expect technology to get better over time not worse!

I'm thinking of getting it exchanged for another unit but I have suspicion that all units are like this. Can someone confirm that all screens are like mine? I took some photos for comparison. True Tone and Night Shift were disabled, calibration using built-in tool didn't help.

Attachments

• IMG_5661.png
    IMG_5661.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,410
  • IMG_5663.png
    IMG_5663.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 854
  • IMG_5668.png
    IMG_5668.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 871
  • IMG_5670.png
    IMG_5670.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 829
  • Sad
Reactions: Mick84

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I saw another thread on this topic. The consensus was that the screen settles after a bit of usage so perhaps see if it gets better in a few weeks.

Reactions: AlexWoww

mmjrk

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
LCDs can’t be compared side by side. They are all different. It’s fine.

I don't understand you reasoning. Either it's fine because all panels look more or less like this (and there would be no point in returning it) or all panels are different and my unit is suboptimal (and I can try my luck with a different unit).

I saw another thread on this topic. The consensus was that the screen settles after a bit of usage so perhaps see if it gets better in a few weeks.

Hmm, interesting, do LCD screens do that? I would try waiting however where I live I can return it only within first two weeks.

riptidewahoo

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
My 16" is like this too - compared to a base model 2019 13" which was way brighter/whiter.

Since I have a return date of January 8th I may wait a few weeks and do an exchange in hopes they have refined the manufacturing process.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Is this disabling True Tone on the 16"? If so, yeah that's too yellow.

edit: just saw this on your first post.

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
My 2012 retina screen is much cooler in colour than my new 16 inch.
Compared to that 2012 screen it also looks more towards yellow.
I think the 2012 machine is too blue / purple though.
I will have to compare with my Eizo screen soon but my 2012 MBP screen was always too cool compared to the calibrated Eizo screen so I expect the 16 inch to be closer to the right colour.
edit: It's definitely brighter and better with colours than the 2012.

By the way, True Tone is horrible imo. Turned it off. It's way too warm / orange.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmjrk

mmjrk

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
but you can adjust whitepoint can you not?
Thanks for the advice, now that I tried it again it seems it helps but I have to move the slider all the way to 9500K which seems wrong. Whites still look greyish and colors less saturated and less bright.

Attachments

• IMG_5671.png
    IMG_5671.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 560
Reactions: Sanpete

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
The display on my 16" in is very slightly warmer when compared to my 2018 15", but the screen is not dull, has good color accuracy and is definitely not yellow. I would return your computer. In my experience the screen tint does not change although your eyes can get used to it.

Reactions: 4sallypat

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks for the advice, now that I tried it again it seems it helps but I have to move the slider all the way to 9500K which seems wrong. Whites still look greyish and colors less saturated and less bright.
have you run the ICC Profile help app? I just noticed there is a thing like that.

Last edited:

mmjrk

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
ColorSync app is in the App folder (Utilities?)
I didn't tinker with that before, I'm not sure how that works. I just adjusted the white point using calibration utility.

This is the output from ColorSync:
Code:
Searching for profiles...
Checking 59 profiles...
/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/VideoHD.icc
   Header message digest (MD5) is not correct.
   The file is locked. Could not be fixed.
/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/VideoNTSC.icc
/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/VideoPAL.icc
/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended/image-P3.icc
Repair done. 0 out of 4 profiles fixed.

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I didn't tinker with that before, I'm not sure how that works. I just adjusted the white point using calibration utility.

Code:
Checking 59 profiles...
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I don't know what those results mean.
Could be just normal. Could be actual errors. No idea.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
That does seem extreme to have to adjust it that much.

Do you have auto brightness on? Might be best to turn that off too for purposes of comparison. If you could get those two screens at the same brightness it would be easier to compare the color.

Also worth checking to see if the two are using the same display profile. And you can try different profiles, though I don't know how that might affect color accuracy.

(My old 2011 17" has a different color than my 2016 15", but I haven't bothered to try to change it, as both look good.)

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Op I don't have another one to compare to, buy mine doesn't look as yellow as yours does and is very white in person.

Edit: On comparing it to yours it looks very similar. Weird. It looks nice a white to me in person though.

View attachment 879437

Last edited:

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Op I don't have another one to compare to, buy mine doesn't look as yellow as yours does and is very white in person. Edit on comparing it to yours it looks very similar. Weird. It looks nice a white to me in person though.

View attachment 879437
It all depends what other colours are there to compare.
Grey or white next to yellow will look blue-ish, purple-ish, grey or white next to blue will look yellow-ish, orange-y. Our eyes adapt to one screen.

-narcan-

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Yeah mine is on the yellow side and not as bright as the 15" inch either. Think it's just the standard on these 16"

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I don't know what those results mean.
Could be just normal. Could be actual errors. No idea.

Each "icc" file listed, represent one color profile. You can select one profile in Settings > Displays > Color.

In simple terms the color profile translate RBG values to some adjusted values for display on the screen. The adjustment is to ensure a consistent visual appearance, e.g. color temperature as the OP is concerned about.

I have color calibrated my screen so I run with that profile. I believe the "Display P3" is the default one, but you could also try the "Adobe RBG". The color temperature should normally be 6.500 Kelvin.

This is the results of my calibration, as others have stated, MAC displays are normally color accurate, so
if there is no issue with the profile you have set, then I would ask for an exchange.

Skärmavbild 2019-11-22 kl. 19.23.59.png

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
My 16" is like this too - compared to a base model 2019 13" which was way brighter/whiter.

Since I have a return date of January 8th I may wait a few weeks and do an exchange in hopes they have refined the manufacturing process.
Why would Apple need to refine the manufacturing process? Shouldn't it be "refined" already after years of making LCDs for their various laptops?

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007

Code:
Checking 59 profiles...

It's saying the checksum for the file doesn't match. Either something messed with it, it's corrupt or Apple messed the file up by error in the release.

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Each "icc" file listed, represent one color profile. You can select one profile in Settings > Displays > Color.

In simple terms the color profile translate RBG values to some adjusted values for display on the screen. The adjustment is to ensure a consistent visual appearance, e.g. color temperature as the OP is concerned about.

I have color calibrated my screen so I run with that profile. I believe the "Display P3" is the default one, but you could also try the "Adobe RBG". The color temperature should normally be 6.500 Kelvin.

This is the results of my calibration, as others have stated, MAC displays are normally color accurate, so
if there is no issue with the profile you have set, then I would ask for an exchange.

View attachment 879506
Thank you. Could you comment on the results that mmjrk posted? Does he have errors?

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Thank you. Could you comment on the results that @mmjrk posted? Does he have errors?

I think Ries already said it. The only thing we see is checksum errors in some icc files.

Worth noting is that mmjrk icc files are not the standard color profiles for the MBP which should be in
/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

He seems to have some Adobe specific profiles for video installed, and that is what he is showing.

You should first check what profile you actually using by looking in Settings > Displays > Color.

Reactions: Lone Deranger
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.