Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
It is, and the first post in this thread confirms that the OP's laptop is more yellow than his other laptop. My point is people are complaining about the display panel. I have no idea if the yellow screen the OP has is wide spread or not. Clearly his is, but I don't know if others are impacted by it.
This thread conforms nothing other than ignorance to the fact that people are complaining about a yellow screen because it looks different to their previous screens even after being told the new screen is in fact more accurate. In this example, the images of the old MBP screen are so very obviously way off neutral (blue and magenta hues) and still you say the 16" MBP display is inferior.

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
If they are using a lower grade display quality, I'd have expected some of the Youtube reviewers in particular to call that out though? And sites like The Verge who seem to do pretty comprehensive reviews of Apple products.
good point... no way would some of the you tube reviewers let Apple get away with that as they critique every other aspect of it but haven't seen much negative other than the 4k versus battery trade off.

As for this color... I color correct my 27" monitor for my desktop computer using Spyder... that said I surely can't use a picture of screens as the deciding factor. On the photo sites I frequent don't see many issues over 16" panel (DPReview and other hardware centric photo forums)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
and still you say the 16" MBP display is inferior.
Yes, because it's my opinion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not just because of the yellow screen, but overall because of the various criticisms leveled against the screen.

You think there's no issue, and that's fine, you have your opinion and I have mine

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Yes, because it's my opinion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No disrespect, but how can you seriously say this when from your own admission you don't actually own a 16" MBP and have formed your opinion based on flakey information posted in this discussion.

Plenty of 16" MBP owners are raving about it and have very little negative to say about it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
you don't actually own a 16" MBP and have formed your opinion based on flakey information posted in this discussion.
So your stating since I don't own a 16" MBP I'm not entitled to an opinion? Funny enough that twisted logic was used by others regarding the butterfly keyboard. Stating unless you owned one, you should provide any opinions.

Btw, I'm basing my opinion not just on this thread, but other data that I've observed here on MacRumors where there's a number of owners unhappy with how the display performs.

Plenty of 16" MBP owners are raving about it and have very little negative to say about it.
Agreed and I never intended to convey that 100% of owners have issues, but by the same token, plenty of happy consumers doesn't mean those who are dissatisfied have nothing to complain about.

Reactions: Mick84

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Each "icc" file listed, represent one color profile. You can select one profile in Settings > Displays > Color.

In simple terms the color profile translate RBG values to some adjusted values for display on the screen. The adjustment is to ensure a consistent visual appearance, e.g. color temperature as the OP is concerned about.

I have color calibrated my screen so I run with that profile. I believe the "Display P3" is the default one, but you could also try the "Adobe RBG". The color temperature should normally be 6.500 Kelvin.

This is the results of my calibration, as others have stated, MAC displays are normally color accurate, so
if there is no issue with the profile you have set, then I would ask for an exchange.

View attachment 879506
Wow. What calibration software/hardware are you using?

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
So your stating since I don't own a 16" MBP I'm not entitled to an opinion?
No, I'm saying without first had experience you are basing your opinion on a very select few people who claim to have an issue (yellow screen tint here) who are complaining about something considered a positive in many peoples eyes.

If the old screens natively are 7000 - 8000K then a correct screen will look yellow. I can assure you its not yellow, its considered neutral.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I for one will not take what I perceive to be a downgrade in screen quality if I were to from my 2016 non touchbar 13" to a 2020+ 14" model

its what ill be looking at all day every day so naturally its a big aspect

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, I'm saying without first had experience you are basing your opinion on a very select few people who claim to have an issue
Yes, I am basing my opinion of a product from the feedback of others. This is the exact same thing, when people go to amazon and base their buying of a product on the reviews, or even visiting tripadvisor.com to determine of a given resort/hotel is worth the money. So do you ignore those amazon reviews when selecting what product to buy?

I can assure you its not yellow, its considered neutral.
If you want to call it neutral, more power to you, that doesn't change my opinion that the screenshots in the first post are yellow.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yes, I am basing my opinion of a product from the feedback of others. This is the exact same thing, when people go to amazon and base their buying of a product on the reviews, or even visiting tripadvisor.com to determine of a given resort/hotel is worth the money. So do you ignore those amazon reviews when selecting what product to buy?

If you want to call it neutral, more power to you, that doesn't change my opinion that the screenshots in the first post are yellow.

yellow is the new neutral

"Just install this icc profile to jack up your colors on your $2400+ investment, but rest assured, the whites will be white!"

"Just adjust the crayon colors in Accessibility Settings, and you'll be good to go!"

sigh

Reactions: maflynn

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008

How can I stress this any more than I have.....

1. 6500K is considered daylight colour temperature which is the ideal you want the screen to be calibrated to.

2. 16” MBP screen is 6500K (or very close to it) out of the box so considered neutral.

3. Older (2016 here) screens are not as accurate out of the box and as here are showing blue/magenta hue.

4. Putting your new 16” MBP next to the old screen will make it look yellow. You are just accustomed to the old screen.

5. Use a 16” MBP for 30 mins then come back to the old screen and you will be shocked at how bad the old screen looks........

Very amusingly, Amazon Reviews for the 16” MBP are resoundingly positive and only highlights the very limited spectrum of people you are basing your opinions on

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
yellow is the new neutral
6500K is standard daylight colour temperature/neutral and that is what all the 16” MBP’s are calibrated to.

Rather than spout off nonsense why not look it up, and then look at the reviews that tested the display.

And please enlighten me, I take it from one of your responses above you too don’t actually own the 16” either and have no first hand experience on which you are basing any of your replies.

Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
What a waste of bandwidth. I have no idea why someone wants to keep stirring this up, but they clearly have nothing of substance to say about the topic of this thread.

Reactions: gazwas

Mick84

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2019
Btw, just for the record, I bought the 16" MBP and calibrated the display. Went all the way to the right on the calibration assistant/app to 9300/9500 K and the display isn't yellowish anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.