Screen protector for iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by daooof, Nov 15, 2011.

1. daooof macrumors regular

I've heard from various friends that screen protectors really do nothing at all. In addition, I see that the 4S has a anti-scratch, anti-fingerprint display. Are protectors worth getting? And what should I get?

2. BananaPhone69 macrumors newbie

100% worth getting. The display DOES SCRATCH. Plus there are a lot of screen shields that you may prefer to the naked screen. I recomend a Power Support HD Antiglare, but you can't go wrong with an SGP (ultra optics or ultra oleo).

3. solo118 macrumors 65816

im going for a power support crystal as my Zagg was junk.

www.powersupportusa.com

i just cant find any on amazon or ebay etc so I might have to go direct (its about $21 shipped)

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

what does anyone think of the cheaper ones like skinomi?

5. solo118 macrumors 65816

I hear its similar quality as Zagg. If it has the orange peel effect and rubbery feel then dont waste your time/money. its a very odd feeling I did not like.

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I just know how bad I can be at applying them so I'm nervous to drop big bucks on the "good" ones just to screw up the application. I used to buy the cheap-o $0.99 ea. ones off of ebay that way if I screwed them up several times, it wasn't a HUGE loss of money

7. solo118 macrumors 65816

I hear ya, but some of the installs are easier than you think.

If you are really terrified i believe Best Buy can apply it for you (but you must buy what they have I assume)

I would tell you to head to an AT&T store as they will apply for free, but they only have Zagg, ivisor, or some crappy 3 pack for 10 bucks.

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

eh, it's probably easier on a smaller-screen'd iPhone than my stupid surfboard-sized android phone ;)

cowabunga!

9. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Go for it.

I got my 4S a few days ago and already have a couple very thin scratches on the front (not on the screen) and on the back. You have to look at them in the right light, but I know they're there.

10. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I've used zagg, phantom skinz, the cheap ebay static ones, power support crystal and skinomi is the latest one. I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing a skinomi from amazon (I got mine for $1.39 plus a couple bucks for shipping. Put it on my fiance's phone last night and I can say it is 'similar' to the zagg in the fact that it's a wet install urethane (rubbery) and not a hard shield like power support. I actually prefer the urethane bc they are 'self-healing' whereas the hard ones, when scratched are scratched. The skinomi is not nearly as rubbery as a zagg and is pretty smooth/slick surprisingly. I'd recommend it for sure and for the price, you can't beat it.

See response above.

Carrying it completely naked isn't an awful idea other than what to do when setting it on hard surfaces. Don't slide it around and carry it in its own pocket with nothing else in it. I suspect the above users forum handle has something to do with the state of his iPhone :)

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Where did you see this?

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Yeah, the ONLY thing that I don't like about the skinomi is that you have to literally spray your new shiny electronic device with a liquid. Don't really like that concept...

13. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Nope, you do NOT spray your device. You take the skin, spray it with the included spray, then remove it from the backing and spray the adhesive side. At that point, you lay it down on the phone and position it. Once its centered, you take the included hard card and squeegie the liquid out (away from the speaker, home button etc). Took me about 2-3 minutes.

14. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

good to know.

did you do the sides/back as well?

15. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

The Skinomi I bought did not include sides but I have phantom skinz on the sides and back of mine. My fiance's has bodyguardz back and sides.

16. bl00per macrumors member

Does the skinomi have any yellowing, I know my Zagg started showing some discoloration after about 2-3 weeks

17. DK1ng macrumors regular

18. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I just installed it 2 nights ago so I cannot say just yet.

19. blkrazr-x1 macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

20. rkeato1 macrumors regular

I usually use the PS Anti Glare but haven't put one on my 4S yet. The phone itself sure as hell doesn't have an anti-fingerprint quality... the phone is a fingerprint magnet! :eek: I don't know how they advertise it like that.

21. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

I've heard some good things about BestSkinsEver. Anyone have this or have any input on it?

22. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

Basically if I was to get a protector I'd want it to be as unobtrusive as possible. I love the natural design of the iPhone and even my case is pretty lightweight.

23. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

DONT WASTE MONEY ON ANY SCREEN PROTECTORS... just bring another problem...

24. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Anti-scratch my ***! The iPhone 4/4S screens will get scratched, don't believe me? Try having no screen protectors on for a month or so and I guarantee you that you will see minor scratches on the screen in the sunlight. You'd have to hold your phone at different angles to see the scratches but they will be there.

I had my iPhone 4S for less than 2 weeks and when I held it in the sunlight at a different (not direct) angle I already saw minor scratch on the front screen! I treat my iPhone 4S like a baby and make sure to never leave it near ANYTHING sharp. I also do NOT put my iPhone 4S in my pockets/coat with car keys and what not.

So save yourself some heartaches and get yourself a GOOD screen protector. If the iPhone 4S screen really was scratch resistance I wouldn't have to put one on it but that's not the world we live in.

25. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

it is anti scratch... that doesn't mean it will never scratch, but glass is at the higher end of the hardness scale. It takes something harder than glass to actually scratch it, so while possible the screen can still get scratches, something like your keys will not scratch the glass. This has been proven multiple times in videos of people rubbing keys all over their phone screens.

Glass is usually a 6 or 7 (out of 10) on the hardness scale.