Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I've still got a Spigen protector on my 42mm Space Grey S0 Watch and it has lasted really well!

I have a SS SB 44mm arriving this month so I don't think I will bother with screen protectors this time around (I also have Apple Care with this).

Regarding the wet install type protectors, these ALWAYS end up peeling up at the corners as over time, this is where lint will most likely accumulate so will end up lifting the corners no matter how good the install is. I also hate the rubbery feel of these types of screen shields as your finger will tend to drag across the screen when you swipe instead of a smooth glide!
That is incorrect and misleading at best, I used the armor suit wet install screen protectors since the first Apple Watch generation and they lasted till the last day I sold the watch which was also the day I personally peeled the protector off myself, never had a single raised corner and that is an outright misleading statement. The peace of mind this screen protector provides me is priceless and would never use my Apple Watch without one. If you don’t want to install it on your watch that’s your call.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
Looks great!
[doublepost=1538405500][/doublepost]

I received the new IQ Shield. It almost covers the whole display - much better coverage! Very Happy now!

See picture

View attachment 791068

IQ shield indicated that if you get the full coverage one (max coverage), they won't last long and harder to install. They said since it goes to edge it will peel easily.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
IQ shield indicated that if you get the full coverage one (max coverage), they won't last long and harder to install. They said since it goes to edge it will peel easily.

Did not realize there is a max version. The one I installed went on easily but there us a 1/16 gap to the watch body. The more curve in the protector the harder its is to get to adhere. What I want is one that is less prone to fingerprints.

...update...I think max refers to the iPhone Max.

Yes, if the protector does not go to the edge it will snag eventually on something. I think they all suffer from this...

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
Did not realize there is a max version. The one I installed went on easily but there us a 1/16 gap to the watch body. The more curve in the protector the harder its is to get to adhere. What I want is one that is less prone to fingerprints.

...update...I think max refers to the iPhone Max.

Yes, if the protector does not go to the edge it will snag eventually on something. I think they all suffer from this...
Max means max coverage. Goes to the end. They warned me that they won’t last as long as the regular ones that don’t cover all glass.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Looks great!
[doublepost=1538405500][/doublepost]

I received the new IQ Shield. It almost covers the whole display - much better coverage! Very Happy now!

See picture

View attachment 791068
Thanks for the find!
Ordered up a 6pack. I have never ever used a screen protector on anything in my life, 8 iPhones and never a screen protector. This is my first watch and with the ionX glass I am paranoid. My iPhone X screen has the crap scratched out of it like no other phone before it. Never had those kind of scratches and I baby my stuff.

So if this watch is anything like the X, would rather spend the $10 and give a protector a shot.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Got the IQShield but I can't seem to get it to go on very well, and I've put these on in the past. Every single time Im getting something underneath it at the corners. My first 2 installations didn't have anything under them but the sides wouldn't stay down. I have to go through all 6 before the company will send me new ones.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
That is incorrect and misleading at best, I used the armor suit wet install screen protectors since the first Apple Watch generation and they lasted till the last day I sold the watch which was also the day I personally peeled the protector off myself, never had a single raised corner and that is an outright misleading statement. The peace of mind this screen protector provides me is priceless and would never use my Apple Watch without one. If you don’t want to install it on your watch that’s your call.

....sorry but its not misleading at all.

Wait a few weeks/months and you will 100% notice that your screen protector will start to do this:

upload_2018-10-4_16-6-28.png

upload_2018-10-4_16-6-52.png

upload_2018-10-4_16-7-17.png

That's the screen protectors lifting away from the curved corners of the glass where they will ALL eventually collect lint and they will never stick back down properly.....

Reactions: caligurl

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
When it comes to these wet install protectors, you just have to change them every couple months. That's just how it works unfortunately. Once a year passes, you probably won't care anymore and just go naked

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

I dont see any difference between what they call max and normal. Could you point out the difference?
[doublepost=1538683981][/doublepost]

I think his assessment is correct and I have used the Armor Suite protector. The feel is not like glass but like plastic, and it does snag. All of the brands seem to be the same. Also, the Amor product was very hard to get installed at the edges on an s3. It took a long while of rubbing it to make it work. I am sure a hair dryer would have helped.
[doublepost=1538684115][/doublepost]
....sorry but its not misleading at all.

Wait a few weeks/months and you will 100% notice that your screen protector will start to do this:

View attachment 792038

View attachment 792039

View attachment 792040

That's the screen protectors lifting away from the curved corners of the glass where they will ALL eventually collect lint and they will never stick back down properly.....

This is fair especially if you wear long sleeve shirts or suits. These protectors do not cover all the glass and the edges are not rounded. What do you expect for $8. I may just use nothing since I have SS.

Reactions: Dino F

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I dont see any difference between what they call max and normal. Could you point out the difference?
[doublepost=1538683981][/doublepost]

I think his assessment is correct and I have used the Armor Suite protector. The feel is not like glass but like plastic, and it does snag. All of the brands seem to be the same. Also, the Amor product was very hard to get installed at the edges on an s3. It took a long while of rubbing it to make it work. I am sure a hair dryer would have helped.
[doublepost=1538684115][/doublepost]

This is fair especially if you wear long sleeve shirts or suits. These protectors do not cover all the glass and the edges are not rounded. What do you expect for $8. I may just use nothing since I have SS.

His “assesment” is Correct for his personal experience, from my experience(3 applications so far since the original Apple Watch), these screen protectors stay on the screen and do not peel even after a year of use. Do they feel tacky? Sure, But they do not have peeling corners if properly applied

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
His “assesment” is Correct for his personal experience, from my experience(3 applications so far since the original Apple Watch), these screen protectors stay on the screen and do not peel even after a year of use. Do they feel tacky? Sure, But they do not have peeling corners if properly applied

In his specific use case I agree.

But it has nothing to do with the “proper application”. I applied perfectly and it snags on dress shirts.

Reactions: Dino F

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Not sure if this has been said or not. For those that are having a hard time with the install do the following. Start the install like you normally would and get everything lined up correctly BUT let all the edges lift up. Leave them up and set the watch down in a warm dust free area for half an hour. During that time the liquid will mostly have evaporated and you can then press the edges easily down and they will stay down. I have tried this with a few different brands and it works every time. See the video:

cub4bearin

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Not sure if this has been said or not. For those that are having a hard time with the install do the following. Start the install like you normally would and get everything lined up correctly BUT let all the edges lift up. Leave them up and set the watch down in a warm dust free area for half an hour. During that time the liquid will mostly have evaporated and you can then press the edges easily down and they will stay down. I have tried this with a few different brands and it works every time. See the video:

this is exactly what I did... I also used a heat gun (of course in safe manner for me and the watch) to speed up the drying process... then just pressed the edges down and it was all done in matter of few minutes.

RedllowFenix

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012

Which area did you use?

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
Got the Skinomi Edge to Edge for the S4 in today, and just finished installing it on my watch. Size is perfectly cut to the entire front glass, including the bezel parts. My first install attempt was a fail, I couldn't get the edges to stick after trying to hold them down for several minutes. Second attempt I heated the edges of the screen protector with a hair dryer after applying it to the watch, and then held the watch face down in the palm of my hand for a few minutes. That did the trick

It's currently drying, but I can probably post pictures in a few days if anyone is interested. Just waiting for the micro-bubbles and clouding that typically happens after a liquid/film install to disappear.

I'd say if you like Skinomi (or other film screen protectors) in the past then their S4 offering is a solid choice.

Thejameslavis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
I did the armorsuit. It’s edge to edge on my new 44. It’s really the same as skinomi. Once you’ve done a few it’s easy as pie. Buy a six pack of them, if you scrape, just pop a new on. Great protector.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
How difficult are the edge to edge ones to put on? I've read they're more difficult but it doesn't seem like that much of a difference in the installing method.

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
How difficult are the edge to edge ones to put on? I've read they're more difficult but it doesn't seem like that much of a difference in the installing method.
The fit is less forgiving, but other than that it's the same. Installed the Skinomi S4 edge to edge the exact same way I'd install screen protectors on my S3

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.