Screen Scratches easy! Anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sillyrabbitt, Mar 25, 2011.

1. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

I only have a smart cover i didnt think i wanted anything else like zaag shield etc... BUT my screen has a few scratches after less then a week! What will it be like in a month or two. Anyone else seem to have scratches as well?

How do I prevent this? I am babying the thing but it doesnt help :(

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Uh it really shouldn't be that easy to scratch, I have had it since launch and I have two dogs that have walked on the screen with their nails multiple times and I have no scratches at all.

3. lggreat macrumors newbie

I found a scratch on my two weeks old ipad2 yesterday. It is small buy quite deep, at least my nail can feel it. I went to Apple store this morning and the Genius give me a brand new replacement.........

But seriously, screen protector is essential. A case is also recommended since the aluminum body is quite "soft".

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

YMMV on that one. I had a scratch on my iPad 1 and the genius told me "scratches on the screen are not covered by warranty". That was when I bought a crystal film for my iPad 1. They do not have it for iPad 2. Im looking for a comparable one that is out now.

5. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just buy a cheap ipad 2 screen protector from ebay. I got 3 of them from a USA seller (cause I knew USA seller would ship to me in 3-4 days from New York). He only charged $5.25

Works perfectly. I messed up on the first screen protector. But got the second one to be applied almost perfectly with 3 super small bubbles. It even had the hole cut for facetime, although it didn't have the additional hole for the mic ontop of the facetime camera. I just used a cut my own little space to clear room for the microphone.

Still looks very good and cheap.

6. sillyrabbitt thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont know what I am doing but I have a chip on one of them and scratches on the other :(. I guess I can ask for a new one maybe they will give it but I bought it at target.

Also what the best screen protector? I just dont want it to take away from the experience of using the iPad.

Thanks

7. lggreat macrumors newbie

I think so, it really depends on the genius you worked with. But at this time i think Apple will honor its warranty because the OP's ipad is only 1 week old.

To the OP, when you get the replacement, dont take the plastic cover off, go to ipad accessories and get a screen protector. Apple is not using gorilla glasses on ipad, so be careful:rolleyes:

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

same here,

I had a habit of leaving my iPad faced up on my bed and I have a dog and a cat that like to run and jump on my bed when they're playing together, and more than a few times that have run on top of my iPad 2 and so far, not a single scratch.

I'm not saying that its not possible, but I feel like the new iPad has a more durable screen.

9. Cool Hwhip macrumors member

What was the reason they replaced it for?

10. lggreat, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

lggreat macrumors newbie

Actually Apple might change it due to the ding on my ipad bezel....

My 1st ipad2 which i get on the launch day got scratches on the back, i notice it when it is in the plastic cover. The next day i get a brand new replacement , which is the one with scratch, but it has two small dings on the bezel which is close the the glass. I keep that one because it has a perfect screen without backlight bleeding.....

The new replacement has do ding or scratch, but i can see a small backlight bleeding on the left corner, however it is not too bad so i am going to keep it. Apple's QC is horrible on ipad2, but at least Apple is willing to replace it....

11. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

No scratches here.. I've had mine since launch day.

12. PCClone macrumors 6502a

None here. My 15 month grandson pounds on it like crazy when I load up the drums in GarageBand. seems darn tough to me.

13. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I had an iPad from launch and the iPad 2 now. No scratches on either. Don't know how people do this but you need to work at it to scratch these screens.

14. gatearray macrumors 65816

Ditto, here. I hate those ugly screen protectors, and both iPad screens seem very tough, indeed.

I dropped my iPhone 4 from about 1.5 feet onto a wood floor (third time I've ever dropped a cell phone in the last 9 years) and have a couple small scratches on the screen near the edge.

Gorilla glass is by no means a silver bullet, and to the other comment above, in my estimation Apple's QC is the same as it's ever been, for better or worse.

15. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Nada scratchada. Also, a good reason for a screen protector. Then you never have to worry.

16. ppark macrumors newbie

I haven't seen many scratches either, even from people who don't use screen protectors.

17. Hollowman7717 macrumors newbie

Wow

What do people do with they're iPads? Dogs walking on it, people dropping it, scratches with nails, take care your iPads everyone don't leave it to break

18. cecoleman macrumors regular

I never use a screen protector for the iPad... I never had a scratch on the original and still don't on the iPad 2 either. Not sure how this could be common.

19. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

I understand scratches and dings on an iPhone--I've dropped mine countless times onto pavement, and I shove it in a different purse or clutch everyday-- but the iPad?? What are you doing with a $800 device to get scratches on it??

20. JimKirk macrumors 6502

Glass will scratch

Anything will a sharp edge like keys or especially glass.

I've scratched my iPhone on my MacBook pro.

Aluminum will scratch it for sure.

21. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I was going to forego the protector but now...I've changed my mind.

22. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

same here... ive heard mixed responses and i think im leaning towards getting a screen protector. I cant justify not paying 10 to prevent scratches on a 600 machine

23. sillyrabbitt thread starter macrumors 6502

I baby the thing and I have scratches on the glass :( I use a smart cover since second one. just not sure what did it.

how do you clean the glass? i have been using a soft tissue with a drop of water. maybe thats what did it ?

24. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Lint is the number one culprit for screen scratches. It gets between your finger and the screen and some pieces of lint are like sandpaper. The best way to avoid scratches is to keep the lint off the screen. Maybe instead of a better screen or more memory, the iPad 3 should have a new coating that doesn't attract three inches of lint if you keep the iPad out for more than a minute :rolleyes: It also goes to show how much crap is floating in the air we breathe.

25. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Only a smart cover here as well...Handle with kid gloves. Microfiber cloth clean only...not a scratch.