Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
I have a 2016 nTB MBP. Like plenty of others, i have keyboard issues on the machine. I take it to the Apple Store and leave it for repair. Despite being my work machine, i leave it with them, and am without a proper machine for a week. I get the machine back and...absolutely nothing has been done to the machine. on the list of things fixed, a "intensive internal cleaning".

I call AppleCare back and they tell me to take it back into the store. Umm, no.

Does anyone know how to get better service from Apple than this? I am highly disappointed in the quality of service i received. And for them to tell me to take it back so they can do absolutely nothing again is quite frankly, insulting.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You could have the matter escalated, take it to another Apple Store, or take it to an authorised service depot.

Not sure what else can be done if you don't want to buy a new unit.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
I have a 2016 nTB MBP. Like plenty of others, i have keyboard issues on the machine. I take it to the Apple Store and leave it for repair. Despite being my work machine, i leave it with them, and am without a proper machine for a week. I get the machine back and...absolutely nothing has been done to the machine. on the list of things fixed, a "intensive internal cleaning".

I call AppleCare back and they tell me to take it back into the store. Umm, no.

Does anyone know how to get better service from Apple than this? I am highly disappointed in the quality of service i received. And for them to tell me to take it back so they can do absolutely nothing again is quite frankly, insulting.

Did they send it out for repair? Did they do the cleaning in store? Did an employee verify with you your issue? What exactly is your 'keyboard issues' More info needed...

Reactions: New_Mac_Smell

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
You could try taking a video of the issue while it is happening (as documentation that the first attempt to repair the keyboard has failed), upload the video to a public folder or privately to a video hosting site, contact AppleCare again and send them the video as documentation they can see first-hand, and request that they make a commitment to replace your existing keyboard with a 2017 keyboard.

If your issue is not easily reproducible, the video can be a huge help to the technician doing the repair.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Did they send it out for repair? Did they do the cleaning in store? Did an employee verify with you your issue? What exactly is your 'keyboard issues' More info needed...

The issue i am having is the down key does not work at all, and the space bar registers double inputs. Also the USB-C ports are completely loose and no longer click into place. All of these issues were verified and documented by the technician there. My work order said a top case replacement was necessary. No physical damage, no water damage. The machine was sent out for 6 days from the store. I got it back today and te trepair notes listed an "extensive internal cleaning" and a keycap replacement. The down key still does not work, the spacebar is still registering double inputs, and the ports are still loose.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
The issue i am having is the down key does not work at all, and the space bar registers double inputs. Also the USB-C ports are completely loose and no longer click into place. All of these issues were verified and documented by the technician there. My work order said a top case replacement was necessary. No physical damage, no water damage. The machine was sent out for 6 days from the store. I got it back today and te trepair notes listed an "extensive internal cleaning" and a keycap replacement. The down key still does not work, the spacebar is still registering double inputs, and the ports are still loose.

Bring it in again. But this time don’t have it shipped to your house. Pick it up in the Apple Store. That way you can have them there to address any concerns and explain their shoddy work. If I were you I’d be throwing a fit right now. Just reading your post has me agitated. You should not be going through that. Might be worth speaking to a manager when you bring it in too. Someone dropped the ball. But I think if you make them aware in the store, they will make it right.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Bring it in again. But this time don’t have it shipped to your house. Pick it up in the Apple Store. That way you can have them there to address any concerns and explain their shoddy work. If I were you I’d be throwing a fit right now. Just reading your post has me agitated. You should not be going through that. Might be worth speaking to a manager when you bring it in too. Someone dropped the ball. But I think if you make them aware in the store, they will make it right.

Thanks, ill have to make another appointment. I live fairly far from an apple store, so this trip is pretty annoying, which is why i had the machine shipped to my house. But time to make some noise, which i hate doing. The employees at the store were great, its the depot i am furious at.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Personally I'd go to the local store and request a replacement as the notebook is clearly not fit for purpose. Speak with a manager not the floor staff, remain calm and polite, equally stay firm as this computer is directly linked to your work.

I expect better of Apple, pity so many others don't and accept the current poor design and service. Personally I find it ridiculous that something so basic as a keyboard is so problematic in 2017. Reeks of Apple not adequately qualifying the design prior to release to the general public and leaving us to be it's Beta testers. Apple should replace all these defective poorly designed keyboards with ones that are it for purpose period...

USB C I have the same problem with my Retina MacBook, personally I'm on my 4th notebook with USB C with only Apple's notebook exhibiting this issue. IMHO Apple has become both cheap & greedy, quality of both software & hardware is diminishing with near zero regard for the professional user. My last conversation with Apple was regarding 30+ high end MBP's and not needing their problematic toys...

Q-6

Last edited:

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
Thanks, ill have to make another appointment. I live fairly far from an apple store, so this trip is pretty annoying, which is why i had the machine shipped to my house. But time to make some noise, which i hate doing. The employees at the store were great, its the depot i am furious at.

Yup, but it will be almost impossible to reach them. Your best bet to get it resolved is to get the Store involved from start to finish.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
What Keyboard issues, I just bought a brand new 2017 MBP 13" Ultimate, and I bought ACare, but what are the issues???
How are you liking your 2017 MBP-TB 13"? I'm on the fence as to whether I should get a MBP-TB 13" or 15" or just get the basic MBP-nonTB 256SSD. I bought the 2016 MBP-TB 15" and returned it. It was so expensive. But coming from a 2011 MBA, I really like the bigger screen. I'm only going to use it for basic computing, but the cost of $2399 to that of $1799 and for the basic at $1499 is incremental. I'm headed to Portland, Oregon this weekend to buy one of these models to take advantage of the tax-free on goods and receive a 6% company discount on top of it. I just don't know which. How did you decide?

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
What Keyboard issues, I just bought a brand new 2017 MBP 13" Ultimate, and I bought ACare, but what are the issues???

These issues:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2016-macbook-pro-keyboard-failed-no-replacements.2033186/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-2016-keyboard-issue.2025494/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7840547?start=0&tstart=0

A small sample.

So this is not over the top or hyperbole. I am sure lots of people have perfectly functioning keyboards, but the issue is there.

I called Apple Business and they asked me to bring it back to the store for them to look at it. I am trying to remain calm about the whole thing. They already verified the issue once, so if they ask to send it out. again i am going to ask for a replacement. not having a properly functioning computer for nearly three weeks, two of which it was out for depot "service" is not acceptable.

Reactions: Queen6

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
These issues:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2016-macbook-pro-keyboard-failed-no-replacements.2033186/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-2016-keyboard-issue.2025494/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7840547?start=0&tstart=0

A small sample.

So this is not over the top or hyperbole. I am sure lots of people have perfectly functioning keyboards, but the issue is there.

I called Apple Business and they asked me to bring it back to the store for them to look at it. I am trying to remain calm about the whole thing. They already verified the issue once, so if they ask to send it out. again i am going to ask for a replacement. not having a properly functioning computer for nearly three weeks, two of which it was out for depot "service" is not acceptable.

I wasn't referring to you being over the top, I was referring to the poster suggesting you return the machine for a 2015. I had initially bought a 2016 13" that had some issues with the feel of the keys being different. The issues do exist, especially in your case kaioshade. But I'm typing this on a 2017 15" 2.8 Ghz that is fine. So to suggest you give up on the new generation all together is just silly.

EDIT:
Good luck btw, keep us updated with how it goes!

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
I wasn't referring to you being over the top, I was referring to the poster suggesting you return the machine for a 2015. I had initially bought a 2016 13" that had some issues with the feel of the keys being different. The issues do exist, especially in your case kaioshade. But I'm typing this on a 2017 15" 2.8 Ghz that is fine. So to suggest you give up on the new generation all together is just silly.

EDIT:
Good luck btw, keep us updated with how it goes!

Ah my mistake then.

Truth is, I adore the machine. The screen quality, thinness, and i actually LIKE USB-C as a port. And until now, i never had a single issue with Apple products or AppleCare, which makes this such a sore issue for me. And to be given the runaround until now, its beyond frustrating. Maybe i got someone in a bad mood on the phone, but the rep on the phone said "well youre not getting a free upgrade". And i know there are lots of stories of people who got better machines than their old ones for kicking up a fuss, but it i dont want an upgrade. I chose this machine for a reason, i just want my machine fixed. Properly.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
Ah my mistake then.

Truth is, I adore the machine. The screen quality, thinness, and i actually LIKE USB-C as a port. And until now, i never had a single issue with Apple products or AppleCare, which makes this such a sore issue for me. And to be given the runaround until now, its beyond frustrating. Maybe i got someone in a bad mood on the phone, but the rep on the phone said "well youre not getting a free upgrade". And i know there are lots of stories of people who got better machines than their old ones for kicking up a fuss, but it i dont want an upgrade. I chose this machine for a reason, i just want my machine fixed. Properly.

Honestly I know how you feel. I've had the screen replaced twice on a laptop that is less then a month old due to backlight bleed issues. The screen I have now has it again, but only slightly on one side of the display. I'm not sure if I want to bring it back.

Reactions: kaioshade

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
At the very least, the employees at the store have been really nice and sympathetic to things. I let them send the machine out again, and they assured me they will make sure the top case is replaced on this machine. The manager said if this is not done, they will do whatever they can to get me a working machine, even if it is another model. Having that kind of care makes me feel a bit better about it, and they also asked who the rude person on AppleCare was.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
At the very least, the employees at the store have been really nice and sympathetic to things. I let them send the machine out again, and they assured me they will make sure the top case is replaced on this machine. The manager said if this is not done, they will do whatever they can to get me a working machine, even if it is another model. Having that kind of care makes me feel a bit better about it, and they also asked who the rude person on AppleCare was.

Wow that's great. Let us know how it goes.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Wow that's great. Let us know how it goes.

I definitely will. I am a lot more calm about everything (in my original post i was pretty heated), And i am using a old MacBook Pro i dug out of the closet (2008 15" model lol), so i at least have something. The store employees even called me to follow up and let me know the depot has received my machine and they will be working with them to ensure a proper repair.

Reactions: green86

Billburns

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
Usa
Do you think it’s wortj to grab AppleCare plus?

What’s the difference between the regular Apple care I see on eBay? On amazon as well for a cheaper price

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.