Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Yeah even though the "Year of HD" has past accordin to Jobs... lol. But w/ the introduction of a Blu-Ray drive to the PowerMac, a few DVD's coming out on Blu-Ray (ie. Benchwarmers) Toast supporting Blu-Ray drives... I would say it is... Give it a few more years for clients or customers of the prosumers get HD drives for it to really take off though. But yes, SD.. its coming to an end.. but it will be around for many years to come

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
SD is coming to an end...

This is all speculation based on things that aren't even out yet.
Ppl give HD too much credit, HD this, HD that. HD is still way too premature to be used fully.
SD coming to an end is like saying filmmakers will stop using motion picture film...

...It's not gonna happen any time soon.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Indeed, even SD miniDV cameras are still a bit pricey. In any case, I'm waiting for hard drive + H.264 + widescreen before I buy one.

Alpinism

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Artofilm said:

Any well educated consumer will know that converted SD footage from a HD cam provides far more superior pictures than native SD footage shot from a native SD cam. Not to mention when compared to SD cams, HD cams is definitely "futureproof". Soon SD will be join the rank of Hi 8 and the VCR.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Alpinism said:
Any well educated consumer will know that converted SD footage from a HD cam provides far more superior pictures than native SD footage shot from a native SD cam.

Bull.

Quality of image has everything to do with the lense and not so much to do with the image transfer format. Sure, HD has more pixels and a _possibility_ to transfer greater image quality, but surely there are SD cameras that output better picture than some of the HD cameras out there.

Just look at the modern camera cell phones that have multi-mexapixel cameras. Would you publish one? Compare that to a picture taken with ancient 2MP Digital SLR and you'll notice the important of glass.

It's not about how you transfer the image -- it's about how the image is made in the first place.

howinson

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2005
Very true

And considering the price of H1 vs XH series, i think the lenses will draw a distant margin between them.

Anyway, for that price. It boils down to a Z1U vs HVX vs G1

Which will u choose?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Artofilm said:

This is all speculation based on things that aren't even out yet.
Ppl give HD too much credit, HD this, HD that. HD is still way too premature to be used fully.
SD coming to an end is like saying filmmakers will stop using motion picture film...

No, not any speculation. In the US there is a government mandated move to digital broadcasts and while it doesn't necessarily have to be HD HD has become the defacto digital standard. Saturation of HD in the consumer world (HDTVs, HD media players, etc.) will happen slowly over a number of years but it will happen. Digital acquisition will largely replace film acquisition in the motion picture industry just as it has in the still photography world. I don't think the "big shift" will happen until most theaters have switched over to digital projection though.

Alpinism said:
Any well educated consumer will know that converted SD footage from a HD cam provides far more superior pictures than native SD footage shot from a native SD cam. Not to mention when compared to SD cams, HD cams is definitely "futureproof".
The problem w/speaking in absolutes is that typically makes you absolutely wrong. ;) There are a few variables (such as the HD camera used, the SD camera used, and the method used to downconvert the HD to SD) that have to be taken into consideration. For example, a consumer HDV camera will not produce an image better than a hi-end, pro SD camera. Comparing like cameras is always a good idea and in a comparison done between the Sony FX1, the Canon XL2 and the Panasonic DVX100b the testers found downconverted FX1 footage to be no better than the Canon or Panny footage. But I've read that the downconvert built into the Sony FX1/Z1U isn't that great so maybe Sony HDV footage downconverted by another method would look better. I've seen HDCAM downconverted to Digibeta that I swear looked better than any Digibeta stuff I'd seen before, but anecdotal evidence isn't really evidence.

Lethal

Applespider

macrumors G4
I bought a camcorder in October at the midrange level but didn't consider going near HD for the following reasons.

1. The early adopters are still paying through the nose for it and for a camcorder that might only last me for 3 years or so, I didn't think it was worth it.
2. Most of my family don't have HDTVs (HD broadcasting is only just starting in the UK)
3. I wouldn't be able to put it on an HD DVD anyhow without forking out even more cash
4. The disk space required and the processor power needed is still much greater.

Result - bought an SD camcorder which I'm very happy with. In a few years when HD is the standard across camcorders/TV/DVD, then I'll buy one - but without the expensive relic sitting in the cupboard

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
For that price you might as well get an HVX.

Plus that LCD looks like it will snap off when the first thing hits it.

PS out of curiosity, where does the battery go.

Is canon pulling a Sony VX1000 internal battery bay?

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
I have to agree with this. I just came back from a week in Jamaica, filming a class documentary with a JVC 720p camera. After spending so much time on the HD camera, I never want to go back to the old panasonic SD cameras that i'm used to.

SD isn't going anywhere for awhile, but HD is certainly starting to move into the market. In another couple of years, SD will become like VHS when DV came into the market. Sure, VHS is still around, but it's a dead technology. In 5 years or so, the same will happen to regular TV broadcasts and DVDs.

Alpinism

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
so, the scenario.

ASsuming I am a *pro-consumer* (as in my original post and not a *consumer* with limited budget), looking to get a new camcorder this coming fall. Therefore, I will have two choices ..

A) Buy a SD Camcorder

B) Buy a Hi-Def Camcorder

and most of you are picking option A ??

Currently I have a Canon XL2 that I use to shoot TV commercials for local businesses. With the majority of people buying HD tv sets, the lowering prices of blue Ray, HD-DVD drives and dvd setup player, the rumored blue ray support of the new mac, the upcoming PS3 with its blue ray drives ....etc, I anticipate all my clients are going to demand Hi-Def. If i cannot give it to them, they will simply go to my competitors.

No wise *Prosumer* shoppers should want to stay with SD no more. As much as I like the image and color production of the DVX100b, the new Canons are totally going to kill them. Panasonic really need to upgrade the DVX100b to high def with native 16x9 support without the outrageous P2 media technology.

OTOH, *Consumers* on limited budget might be forced to choose between 3 CCD or the Sony 1 ccd CMOS, which can be a good debate. Still, any Hi Def footage can be converted back to SD, often with a gain in image quality.

And yes, I am sticking with my original notion, SD is in a respirator machine now, and if you are a pro-consumer, high def is the definitely the wise choice.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
howinson said:
Let's not mixed up HDV and HD.
I'm confused. HDV is a recording format. HD is a specification.

HDV is to HD, as what the World Wide Web is to the Internet.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Prosumers Choice

All this talk about HD being "future proof" is all guess work again.
How would one know if it is future proof or not?
I dont know how many different technologies have been made and then have backed out in the past.
How would anyone know that HD will fly at all? You dont know.

The consumers that are told at Futureshop that Hd is better than SD are being lied to.
It doesnt matter what quality the camera is, it has to do with: Optics, lighting, sound(over 50% of videos is sound), and colour reproduction (unless you want your reds looking like green).

I personally produce professional wedding videos and short films, and I can tell you that i personally would never touch HD until it is secure and fit for all TVs like SD is now.

Buying a HD camera now is like buying a hydrogen car. Youve been told its Future proof, but you know what, where will you go to get more gas? and what will you do if they are discontinued?

If HD is the next step, you will know in about a year.
For now, its still wayy too premature.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Artofilm said:
Buying a HD camera now is like buying a hydrogen car. Youve been told its Future proof, but you know what, where will you go to get more gas? and what will you do if they are discontinued?

If HD is the next step, you will know in about a year.
For now, its still wayy too premature.
I disagree that HD is like a hydrogen car. There is very little manufacturer support for hydrogen (or any alternative fuel) car in this country. HD is different.

Like it or not, HD is here to stay. The television manufacturers do not make any money on SDTVs anymore. They want to sell new technology because they can make more money. The government (at least in the US) is finally mandating digital transmissions, so analog/SD broadcasts will soon be gone. Viewers will need to buy new digital TVs (most likely an HDTV) or buy a box to convert digital to analog.

There is no way that HD will fail. Well, maybe if the majority of people decide that TV is a waste of time and stop watching TV altogether.

ft

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Artofilm said:
All this talk about HD being "future proof" is all guess work again.
How would one know if it is future proof or not?
I dont know how many different technologies have been made and then have backed out in the past.
How would anyone know that HD will fly at all? You dont know.
Flavors of HD (like HDV, HDCAM, DVCProHD, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, AVCHD, etc.,) will come and go just like flavors of SD (VHS, BetaSP, DV, Hi8, DigiBeta, DVD, etc.,) have come and gone, but HD as a standard isn't going anywhere. Come 02-17-09 (unless it gets pushed again) analog b'casts will stop forever in the US, digital b'casts will start and the defacto digital standard is HD.

Your irrational fear of it is a bit odd. If you don't want to move to HD and your clients aren't asking for anything in HD then don't move to HD.

Lethal

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
SD is still not out

Yes HD offers a superior image but many people still do not have HD displays. And most consumers do not have the processing power and hard drive space to shoot and edit in HD.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Ive never meantioned anything about HD not being the future, im just saying that it is not future proof, nothing is.
From a business standpoint I will not change to HD until everything has converted and is secured.
I have no problem with SD quality, and I see no reason to convert until my next camera upgrade, I know im not the only person that thinks that way.
Going to the theme park the other day proved my thots. Guess what kind of video cameras i saw?

8mm and Hi8, maybe 5% were miniDV

SD is not taking off anytime soon.

and if its the quality we are aguing about...than motion picture film is still and will always be the best!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.