SE 2 Predictions?

wdmn1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
Well firstly I think there will be an SE 2. I reckon even Apple is surprised by how popular a small, fast, affordable phone is and how timeless the design has become.

Release date?
Form factor?
Headphone jack?
Water resistant?
Internal specs?

Here's my stab at it:

March 2018 release
Same form factor as SE
No headphone jack this time
Not water resistant
Internals like the 7
Better screen with wide color display

Thoughts?

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
I don't think this will be it, but all I want it to be is the current SE in the iPod 6th gen form factor. Throw an iPhone 7 processor and 2nd gen TouchID in there, everything else can stay as-is.

iPod 4th Gen Form Factor with a 3.5" screen and that polished rear with iPhone 7 internals would be my ultimate wet dream, but no way that will happen.

As long as they can keep current battery life...

Headphone jack and waterproofing can go either way, I have 0 care for either.

Reactions: Gonky

jhearty99

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
I agree they will keep the form factor but I think they will keep the headphone jack. However, I believe it will get the spec boost when Apple stops selling the 6S, which will probably be Sept 2018, so either released then or in March 2019. As long as they are still producing the processors/chips for the 6S, might as well keep using them inside the SE as its still a very capable device and keeps the costs lower. Once the 6S is discontinued, then I think Apple will give it the spec boost to the next current low end model, in this case the 7.

Cryates

macrumors 68020
Nov 19, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
Imagine if they put the A10, or even the A11 Bionic in the SE, and got rid of the headphone jack to add extra battery space. It might be the longest lasting battery life in iPhone to date.

Reactions: Jimmy James

bwApple! fwApple!

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2017
Well firstly I think there will be an SE 2. I reckon even Apple is surprised by how popular a small, fast, affordable phone is and how timeless the design has become.

Here's my stab at it:

March 2018 release
Same form factor as SE
Not water resistant
Internals like the 7
I'm thinking:

-(not before) September 2018
-same form factor as the SE
-headphone jack
-not water resistant
-A9 as before
-same screen
Hmm... I actually cannot think of anything they'll change about this iPhone.

Basically, either Apple makes a new small iPhone that will be quite different from the SE and will as such certainly not be called the 'SE', 'the New SE', or 'SE2'; ...or Apple just keeps selling the SE as it is now past September 2018.

Maybe... maybe they'll do... new colours! And nothing else. (a black one like the iPhone 5, or jet black; the iPhone 8-type gold; a red one...)

from Wikipedia:
"The iPhone 4 [released June 2010] (...) had the longest lifespan of any iPhone ever produced, spanning close to four years and available in some developing countries until early 2015. (...) iPhone 4S: [released October 2011]. Discontinued Late 2014 (may vary to country). February 17, 2016 (India)"

The iPhone 4/4S were sold up to 4,5 years past their release date. I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the fate of the SE: released March 2016; discontinued September 2018 or March-June 2019; sold in India until March-June 2020.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I really am 50/50 about at SE2. If the rumors are true that apple plans on going all faceID and no home button, we will not see an SE2. Assuming the rumors are incorrect I think the SE2 will be as follows:

Same 5S body (meaning it will have a headphone jack)
Same Screen
Camera bump
Internal spec bump
2nd Gen TouchID.

It will basically be identical to the current SE with a spec bump and the second generation TouchID. They would stop selling the previous generation SE and this would just be called the SE.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I think everything you said it will have is correct except for one. I think they will keep the headphone jack. On the SE there is no reason to remove it. I think they will continue to bump up the SE every once and a while and keep it around.
I disagree. I don't think Apple will retain the 3.5 mm Jack if we see an iPhone SE 2. The Reason being, is I think Apple will want uniformity across their iPhone line and the AirPods are is one reason they removed the 3.5 Jack in the first place. Also, if the 3.5 mm Jack is not returning on the iPhone SE 2, it could also help improve water resistance, assuming Apple adds this a feature, which the current SE does not have a water resistance rating.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I disagree. I don't think Apple will retain the 3.5 mm Jack if we see an iPhone SE 2. The Reason being, is I think Apple will want uniformity across their iPhone line and the AirPods are is one reason they removed the 3.5 Jack in the first place. Also, if the 3.5 mm Jack is not returning on the iPhone SE 2, it could also help improve water resistance, assuming Apple adds this a feature, which the current SE does not have a water resistance rating.
A large reason the SE came around is because of the 5S "bodies" apple still had on hand. Being a budget phone, I do not see it staying a budget phone if they make significant changes. Continuing to use the 5S shell had a lot to do with the price.

Reactions: praterkeith

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
A large reason the SE came around is because of the 5S "bodies" apple still had on hand. Being a budget phone, I do not see it staying a budget phone if they make significant changes. Continuing to use the 5S shell had a lot to do with the price.
That's true. I just question how much technology they would put forth into an iPhone SE 2 if they want to retain the price point as an entry-level iPhone. Also, what most don't think about, was the first generation iPhone SE was also intended for India's market for affordability. So if Apple wants to update this iPhone, I do see a new chassis possibly being used with an improved dislay.

But in reference to the 3.5 mm Jack, if they update the chassis, I personally don't believe they will retain the 3.5 mm Jack.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I don't think we'll see an SE update any time soon. I used one recently on iOS 11, and the device had amazing performance. I just don't think they have enough incentive to update it as it'll likely perform quite well for a few more years, and they would rather upsell to other models for people who aren't satisfied with the SE.

I'd probably be using an SE if it were waterproof. I'm using an iPhone 7 now, and having a waterproof phone has change my usage patterns so much that I don't want to to go back. I suppose an SE in a waterproof case is a possibility, but just seems usability would suffer enough that it wouldn't be worth it, especially combined with the other inadequacies of the SE.

What I do see happening is them pushing the current SE into more markets to compete on the low-end (e.g. India where they are ramping manufacturing of the SE).

I am most certainly hoping Apple releases a small phone with up-to-date specs in 2018, but I just don't think it'll happen. I don't think the SE will get updated. And I don't think we'll see a smaller X (though we might see a larger X with the width of the iPhone plus models).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That's true. I just question how much technology they would put forth into an iPhone SE 2 if they want to retain the price point as an entry-level iPhone. Also, what most don't think about, was the first generation iPhone SE was also intended for India's market for affordability. So if Apple wants to update this iPhone, I do see a new chassis possibly being used with an improved dislay.

But in reference to the 3.5 mm Jack, if they update the chassis, I personally don't believe they will retain the 3.5 mm Jack.
I agree, if they update the chassis the headphone jack will be gone. It will be interesting what Apple decides to do. The SE is actually underpriced IMO and really undercuts their entire lineup.
[doublepost=1508344964][/doublepost]
I don't think we'll see an SE update any time soon. I used one recently on iOS 11, and the device had amazing performance. I just don't think they have enough incentive to update it as it'll likely perform quite well for a few more years, and they would rather upsell to other models for people who aren't satisfied with the SE.

I'd probably be using an SE if it were waterproof. I'm using an iPhone 7 now, and having a waterproof phone has change my usage patterns so much that I don't want to to go back. I suppose an SE in a waterproof case is a possibility, but just seems usability would suffer enough that it wouldn't be worth it, especially combined with the other inadequacies of the SE.

What I do see happening is them pushing the current SE into more markets to compete on the low-end (e.g. India where they are ramping manufacturing of the SE).

I am most certainly hoping Apple releases a small phone with up-to-date specs in 2018, but I just don't think it'll happen. I don't think the SE will get updated. And I don't think we'll see a smaller X (though we might see a larger X with the width of the iPhone plus models).
the SE on IOS11 runs better than a 6S/7 from my experience and a lot has to do with the screen it is powering.

Reactions: nilk

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
LOL at SE 2, it’s like all of those people who were waiting for a 5c 2.
That could also be true; however, there have been some rumors of the SE2 and I do not think 5C2 rumors were ever circulating. I guess you could technically say the SE is the 5C2 :p. I would be ok with a different named budget, small form factor iphone.

Reactions: macTW

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016

Release date?
Form factor?
Headphone jack?
Water resistant?
Internal specs?

Here's my stab at it:

March 2018 release
Same form factor as SE
Not water resistant
Internals like the 7

Thoughts?
I came here to say I think it’d be exactly the same as it currently is but better internals. You pretty much agreed except you suggested no headphone jack. I’m torn whether or not they will include one. If it’s removed, I believe IP67 water resistance will be added.

Reactions: eVolcre

bwApple! fwApple!

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2017
I really am 50/50 about at SE2. If the rumors are true that apple plans on going all faceID and no home button, we will not see an SE2. Assuming the rumors are incorrect I think the SE2 will be as follows:

Same 5S body (meaning it will have a headphone jack)
Same Screen
Camera bump
Internal spec bump
2nd Gen TouchID.

It will basically be identical to the current SE with a spec bump and the second generation TouchID. They would stop selling the previous generation SE and this would just be called the SE.
Same body, same screen.
camera bump? I'm not sure. It's a great camera. Perhaps the front/selfie camera (only 1,2 MP now I believe?).
an internal specs bump only if iOS12-13-14 would slow it down to a crawl.
2nd generation TouchID is a possibility.
No storage increase. (the same 32GB and 128GB. Maybe an increase to 64GB and 256GB, but not before March 2019)
No name change.
Hmm... I really do think it's possible we might see some new/different colours down the line! New-but-not-new.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Leaked photo back in May...

^ Reminiscent of the iPhone 4 series like the current 8 is.

Glass rears
Front will look the same but slightly bigger
Physical home button
Wireless charging
Has A10 Bionic chip instead of A11

The real 7s but s is for small.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

^ Reminiscent of the iPhone 4 series like the current 8 is.

Glass rears
Front will look the same but slightly bigger
Physical home button
Wireless charging
Has A10 Bionic chip instead of A11

The real 7s but s is for small.
I would buy that in a second. I love the grippyness of the 3G/jet black 7. Right now I am sitting on the fench of wanting the X or just keeping my current SE. Every time I get rid of the SE, I use my wife's SE and it makes me want one again. It happened when I got the 7, and returned it to go back to the SE.

Last edited:

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Airports in the Indian market are inr 12,999. Iphone SE 64gb goes for 18500. No one here, especially in the target market , is going to spend greater than 50% of the actual phone cost on Bluetooth headphones no matter how magical. A 3.5 to lightning dongle probably isn’t ideal either , people exchange earphones. IF they update the SE they keep the current jack. Or release a fancy X like SE for the American market and keep the current one for the east.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016

^ Reminiscent of the iPhone 4 series like the current 8 is..
I would buy that in a second.
You won't be buying that iPhone at all and nor is it legitimate. That picture Of the "leaked" SE glass back photo was debunked a while back. It wasn't covered on Macrumors, likely the majority cannot read Chinese. But the back was Photoshopped based on the 360 Mobiles N5S handset in China and this photo is completely false. There was only photo of this posted and it was not legitimate.
[doublepost=1508350908][/doublepost]
Airports in the Indian market are inr 12,999. Iphone SE 64gb goes for 18500. No one here, especially in the target market , is going to spend greater than 50% of the actual phone cost on Bluetooth headphones no matter how magical. A 3.5 to lightning dongle probably isn’t ideal either , people exchange earphones. IF they update the SE they keep the current jack. Or release a fancy X like SE for the American market and keep the current one for the east.
I can't speak necessarily for the Indian market or its economy. But what most don't know, as I mentioned to a previous forum member, the iPhone SE was intended for India's market, contrary to what most believe. Because the smart phone market is slowly transitioning into India as it is. The only plant that produces the iPhone SE was the Bangalore plant.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
You won't be buying that iPhone at all and nor is it legitimate. That picture Of the "leaked" SE glass back photo was debunked a while back. It wasn't covered on Macrumors, likely the majority cannot read Chinese. But the back was Photoshopped based on the 360 Mobiles N5S handset in China and this photo is completely false. There was only photo of this posted and it was not legitimate.
[doublepost=1508350908][/doublepost]

I can't speak necessarily for the Indian market or its economy. But what most don't know, as I mentioned to a previous forum member, the iPhone SE was intended for India's market, contrary to what most believe. Because the smart phone market is slowly transitioning into India as it is. The only plant that produces the iPhone SE was the Bangalore plant.
Sure. Then I think they’ll keep the headphone jack. That’s if they even update the thing. I mean you could walk into a store last year and buy a new iPhone 4s or 5c. Stunned me when I was here on work. 4s???

Not really sure how well it’s doing here either. There’s no real market for small phones. That’s a 1st world indulgence where people have multiple devices. Out this way the phone is more than likely your primary computer. Second. It’s cheap. For some reason people don’t want to buy the cheap version of a “luxury” brand. Yeah they’ll have an iPhone but it’s the cheap iPhone. Android is all over the place here and in that price range you can get a pretty decent oneplus 5 or oppo or redmii etc.

Someone stepping up to the iPhone for their “image” ends up picking up a used 6,7 etc.

Ah well. So many ifs and buts that it doesn’t matter. Well know if Apple makes an announcement. I’d say no update for the se and maybe two years down the road a mini X when they can recycle the X and X+ old innards.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Sure. Then I think they’ll keep the headphone jack. That’s if they even update the thing. I mean you could walk into a store last year and buy a new iPhone 4s or 5c. Stunned me when I was here on work. 4s???

Not really sure how well it’s doing here either. There’s no real market for small phones. That’s a 1st world indulgence where people have multiple devices. Out this way the phone is more than likely your primary computer. Second. It’s cheap. For some reason people don’t want to buy the cheap version of a “luxury” brand. Yeah they’ll have an iPhone but it’s the cheap iPhone. Android is all over the place here and in that price range you can get a pretty decent oneplus 5 or oppo or redmii etc.

Someone stepping up to the iPhone for their “image” ends up picking up a used 6,7 etc.

Ah well. So many ifs and buts that it doesn’t matter. Well know if Apple makes an announcement. I’d say no update for the se and maybe two years down the road a mini X when they can recycle the X and X+ old innards.
The only thing I disagree with, is if Apple updates the iPhone SE, I don't believe they will retain the 3.5 Jack. Especially if it's given a new chassis. But also on the contrary, many seem to believe the SE will not be updated and this was a one time release for device. I'm inclined to believe both sides of the spectrum, but I do believe it would be much appreciated if it was updated by many, especially given its price point.

Reactions: eVolcre

Cryates

macrumors 68020
Nov 19, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
The SE was probably released to ease the minds of those who still wanted a 4" phone and were not ready for the bigger phones. I'd say a lot of that customer base is dwindling over the last couple of years.