Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pic620

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Killadelphia
Okay, so there is bound to be someone on these forums who has an answer to this question. (Very knowledgable user-base). My question is this:

When you're sending a longgg SMS, some phones break it up into bits of 160 character messages & send as many as need. (The iPhone falls into this category). Whereas other phones change the message type from SMS to MMS as soon as that 161st character goes down - for the sake of consistency and not blowing up someone's phone.

I want to know if there is anyway to sent a Text-ONLY message from my iPhone (4, iOS 5) as MMS instead of multiple SMS. I often send long texts to my friend who's on TMobile and has an old phone. He ends up getting like 4 texts out of order. MMS will solve this but I can't for the life of me find any information on how to do this online. Any ideas?

NJFP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Take a picture of something, then start typing? Just a thought. Photos send as MMS.

BurningJah

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Belgium
I don't think that is possible. just text is an sms and if you ad a picture it will be an mms.
you could always start with a picture of you and than start texting

pic620

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Killadelphia
guess its functionality the OS just doesn't have.. bummer. found an article about the Galaxy S & S2 having an option to send as MMS or break up into multiple SMS for long texts. maybe Apple will add a similar option at a later date.

I guess I could always print-screen a long text & send that picture. lol. thanks anyways.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
guess its functionality the OS just doesn't have.. bummer. found an article about the Galaxy S & S2 having an option to send as MMS or break up into multiple SMS for long texts. maybe Apple will add a similar option at a later date.

Highly unlikely

pic620

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Killadelphia

Not Email..

The purpose of a text message is to have a conversation, back and forth, instantly.
Email does not do that.
Not to mention, the reason this problem exists is because the receiving end is an OLD phone, as already stated above.
Which, as I'm sure you were already well aware of, means that checking email, let alone push, doesn't happen on his phone.

Last edited:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

I suspect they're more interested in iMessage at this point, where it doesn't matter how long the message is or what media it contains.

pic620

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Killadelphia
Highly unlikely

Actually, it's highly unlikely that this won't happen. The standard SMS is technology from the dawn of the cell phone. At the time a 160 character limit was nessicary for the functionality of the network. This is no longer the case, rendering 160 character limits and therefore SMS obsolete tech just waiting to be replaced. It is highly likely that the system will be replaced with something more Instant-message styled in the next decade - as soon as the carriers knuckle up. This could be through MMS or something like the ill-fated SMS 2 that was ahead of its time.

Also, in my search, I found that Apple uses MMS as the default message type whenever you send a group message - as MMS allows for the high level of functionality that often occurs with group messaging.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Not Email..

The purpose of a text message is to have a conversation, back and forth, instantly.
Email does not do that.
Not to mention, the reason this problem exists is because the receiving end is an OLD phone, as already stated above.
Which, as I'm sure you were already well aware of, means that checking email, let alone push, doesn't happen on his phone.

Thanks for the comment though. You really should spread your helpfulness around more often, you seem to have a knack for it.

Actually that is a good response. You are using SMS as an email type system and it is not designed for that. Also, he made a simple suggestion and there is no need to attack him over it.

SMS is not designed to do what you are doing. I suggest you read this to at least get a basic understanding of it and why there is a limitation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS

By old phone, what are you calling old? SMS and MMS have been around for a long time so that phone would have to be over 10 years to not be able to handle it.

pic620

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Killadelphia
I suspect they're more interested in iMessage at this point, where it doesn't matter how long the message is or what media it contains.

Which I would love. If it were an open source industry standard. That's kind of what I was saying getting at in the post above right before I read your post. Within the next 10-15 years, SMS limitations that no longer serve a purpose will eventually be overhauled.

i.e. a universal "iMessage" or "BBM" - only it costs $ and goes through the carrier.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Actually, it's highly unlikely that this won't happen. The standard SMS is technology from the dawn of the cell phone.

How old the tech is is irrelevant, IMO. There just doesn't seem to be enough people clamoring to get all text MMS messages sent. I am not saying we won't ever see this, but this seems like it would be almost a tthe bottom of the priority list, just above selling a phone that is pre-rooted! ;)

pic620

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Killadelphia
Actually that is a good response. You are using SMS as an email type system and it is not designed for that. Also, he made a simple suggestion and there is no need to attack him over it.

SMS is not designed to do what you are doing. I suggest you read this to at least get a basic understanding of it and why there is a limitation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS

I'm sorry but it's not a good resoonse. My question was not "Are you of the opinion I am using SMS correctly?" or "Is there an alternative to SMS?" It was specific. I know the definition of SMS, I know it's archaic and outdated limitations. But this isn't the year 2000 anymore. A majority of people carry full conversations via text. Well over 160 characters is the norm. Phone makers know this and have adapted to the real definition of texting - how it's currently used. Each phone handles large texts differently.

Some people prefer Apple's method of sending in pieces and having the carrier at the other end re-connect the pieces in order. Problem is, not all carriers or phones do the re-connecting. Many other smart phones on the market today take the alternative option (or offer you a choice), which is send as MMS, allowing for basically as much text as you need.

In my opinion sending as MMS is nicer, and less of a headache. It ensures the whole thing goes through and in one piece rather than sloppily. It's definitely the preferred option. Which is why that was my question. And why anything with the word "email" in it is not a proper answer

----------

How old the tech is is irrelevant, IMO. There just doesn't seem to be enough people clamoring to get all text MMS messages sent. I am not saying we won't ever see this, but this seems like it would be almost a tthe bottom of the priority list, just above selling a phone that is pre-rooted! ;)

I can agree with that. It's absolutely not top of the list, this is next gen's killer feature!! lol. Besides I only wanted to know if it were possible. Or if there were an app out there. But I think it may be possible via group messaging. Group messages are MMS by default to allow the functionality Apple wants in group texts. Add my own # in that group - might force an MMS to that person. Will let you know if it works.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
In my opinion sending as MMS is nicer, and less of a headache. It ensures the whole thing goes through and in one piece rather than sloppily. It's definitely the preferred option. Which is why that was my question. And why anything with the word "email" in it is not a proper answer

Sending as MMS also only counts as 1 message, regardless of the number of characters within. Something to think about for the naysayers. :)

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
I'm sorry but it's not a good resoonse. My question was not "Are you of the opinion I am using SMS correctly?" or "Is there an alternative to SMS?" It was specific. I know the definition of SMS, I know it's archaic and outdated limitations. But this isn't the year 2000 anymore. A majority of people carry full conversations via text. Well over 160 characters is the norm. Phone makers know this and have adapted to the real definition of texting - how it's currently used. Each phone handles large texts differently.

Some people prefer Apple's method of sending in pieces and having the carrier at the other end re-connect the pieces in order. Problem is, not all carriers or phones do the re-connecting. Many other smart phones on the market today take the alternative option (or offer you a choice), which is send as MMS, allowing for basically as much text as you need.

I'm happy that some people prefer Apple's method, but Apple does not dictate how SMS or MMS work. The fact is that you are trying to force another type of phone or service to function how you think/want it to function and that simply is not how it works. Maybe if you JB you can send MMS only but there is nothing native that is going to let you do this.

You can send only a certain amount of text per SMS. Live with it or find another method to do your communicating. :rolleyes:

+1 for email as that is what you are trying to do.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm happy that some people prefer Apple's method, but Apple does not dictate how SMS or MMS work. The fact is that you are trying to force another type of phone or service to function how you think/want it to function and that simply is not how it works. Maybe if you JB you can send MMS only but there is nothing native that is going to let you do this.

You can send only a certain amount of text per SMS. Live with it or find another method to do your communicating. :rolleyes:

+1 for email as that is what you are trying to do.

Based on everything you said here, you have completely missed what the OP is saying, or you have at least dismissed it. You seem to think "Apple didn't allow SMS to MMS conversion prior to sending so it shouldn't be an option". That's just plain ridiculous. Telling someone to get another device is equally ridiculous. If nobody talked about new features they wanted in the iPhone I bet half the features we have today wouldn't even exist. Remember how Apple said MMS wasn't necessary for pictures because we have email (Steve Jobs HIMSELF said this)? Do you also remember what happened right around iOS3? They gave it to us because enough people asked for it.

Last edited:

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
I completely disagree with your premise that 'most people' are sending texts over 160 characters long. I text all the time, and rarely do I have one go longer than 160.

Because, like others have mentioned, if I need to send a longer message than that, it's easier to just email it.

So I don't see anyone clamoring for a 'new' text messaging system . . .

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I completely disagree with your premise that 'most people' are sending texts over 160 characters long. I text all the time, and rarely do I have one go longer than 160.

So you have a sample size of what, 1? :rolleyes:

I am sure there are plenty of people that send 160+ character texts. Whether that is the majority or the minority could only truly be stated if we had a look at carrier records of texts.

Why are people so hung up on this? Giving users an option to send a text as MMS instead of SMS isn't a horrible idea. You would think this guy is proposing installing windows phone 7 instead of iOS on our devices. He didn't even bash Apple or the phone. He simply made a statement along the line of "Wouldn't it be wonderful if..." And yes, it would be wonderful.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Based on everything you said here, you have completely missed what the OP is saying, or you have at least dismissed it. You seem to think "Apple didn't allow SMS to MMS conversion prior to sending so it shouldn't be an option". That's just plain ridiculous. Telling someone to get another device is equally ridiculous. If nobody talked about new features they wanted in the iPhone I bet half the features we have today wouldn't even exist. Remember how Apple said MMS wasn't necessary for pictures because we have email (Steve Jobs HIMSELF said this). Do you also remember what happened right around iOS3? They gave it to us because enough people asked for it.

And you are missing my point. He is complaining that his friends device can't handle an SMS that is being broken apart by his device. He is looking for a way to either circumvent this or use MMS to send just text.

My point is that instead of trying to use systems that are not designed to do what he wants, that he find a system that can do what he wants. Mail is suited for what he is trying to do but he just doesn't want to hear it.

Apple using systems that are in place is one thing, but Apple can't change limitations that the carriers have. SMS is not going to change and MMS is for multimedia which is what the carrier wants it to be.

In this case the OP simply needs to find a better way to send his message rather than trying to bend a system to fit his needs.

FYI, I am also one of the "1" that don't send long texts. Why? Because that isn't what it was for and there is a limitation. If it is long, I use e-mail, simple enough.

pic620

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Killadelphia

Because, like others have mentioned, if I need to send a longer message than that, it's easier to just email it.

So I don't see anyone clamoring for a 'new' text messaging system . . .

You're right. Because a majority of phones handle large texts correctly with a text system that is already in place. By using MMS automatically. I mean phones from 2004 do this. The problem here is that, the iPhone does not. Not only that, but the SMS system on the iPhone is instant message styled. It encourages longer text messages. & I am assuming you were not born in the information age then. I take it you're somewhere between the age of 28 and older.

Lastly, a few years ago many people were "clamoring" for a new text message system. Verizon and a few others adapted it. Called EMS. It died because it didn't become universal - AT&T and one or two others didn't adopt. Had they, we'd all be using that new text messaging system that supposedly no one in the world wants. And again, I reiterate. If longer texts were handled as smoothly by my phone - the iPhone - or all carriers strung SMS together like Verizon and AT&T do (for instance, in iPhone to iPhone communication before iMessage), then the current system would be fine, albeit more complicated than necessary. Unfortunately when sending to other carriers, the "send multiple SMS" option that the iPhone takes is less than ideal. Many other phones handle this without a hiccup. With the instant-message style of the iPhone, I expect the MMS option of handling long texts.

This is not an unusual situation as some people seem to be suggesting. Anyone who is 25 and under sends a text over 160 characters at least once a day. And I haven't jumped to this conclusion, but I hope to god that the ridiculous opposition to my simple question is rooted in "Da Ip0nez iS da best n0 matterz wh@T" mentality. Im just as much as an Apple product lover as everyone else on this site. I was seeking a resolution for something I feel iOS doesn't do smoothly enough and other (much older) phones do. Like I said, in some situation stringing together multiple SMS works well - if the carrier does it well. For small carriers, this isn't the case. Why I sought a solution. Why other phones not only use MMS by default, but have the option to toggle how you want it sent. 1) Because texts over 160 are common. 2) Because broken SMS is unbecoming but some people don't get MMS. Which is why I admire an option over this area. But, again, most phones default to MMS - that is the norm.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Why are people so hung up on this? Giving users an option to send a text as MMS instead of SMS isn't a horrible idea.

Apple can't do this, it would be against the carriers rules of how MMS will be used.

You're right. Because a majority of phones handle large texts correctly with a text system that is already in place.
LOL, then tell your buddy to buy a new phone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Apple can't do this, it would be against the carriers rules of how MMS will be used.

I don't see any amount of truth in this when there are other phones out there that do EXACTLY what the OP is wanting be done on the iPhone. He even gave examples (SGS2), and yes, it does do this, and yes, it is on just about every carrier the iPhone 4S is, and THEN some...

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
I don't see any amount of truth in this when there are other phones out there that do EXACTLY what the OP is wanting be done on the iPhone. He even gave examples...

Really, which phones do this native? I have several (a couple of android, a windows and iPhone) and none of them will do this without taking a picture or loading a movie.

If there are phones that are doing this, they are most likely rooted or Jb. My mother has the SGS1 and it won't do it. It will also depend on the carrier and what they will allow.

As I said, it could most likely be done if he jb the phone or have his buddy upgrade his phone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Really, which phones do this native? I have several (a couple of android, a windows and iPhone) and none of them will do this without taking a picture or loading a movie.

If there are phones that are doing this, they are most likely rooted or Jb. My mother has the SGS1 and it won't do it. It will also depend on the carrier and what they will allow.

As I said, it could most likely be done if he jb the phone or have his buddy upgrade his phone.

I edited the post after you started your response, apparently. Apologies. He did use the SGS2 as an example. And it does do this. No need to take a pic, send video, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.