Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Fred Anderson's recent statement claiming he warned Apple CEO Steve Jobs of the financial and legal repercussions of his backdated option grant, SiliconValley.com reports that the SEC may have renewed interest in Jobs.

"The SEC would typically find (allegations such as Anderson's) important," added Kathleen Bisaccia, former chief of enforcement for the SEC in San Francisco.

[...]

Lawyers familiar with the case say Anderson's statements could prompt government lawyers to examine whether Jobs made any false statements to investigators. "From a due diligence perspective, you'd have to look at it," said one former prosecutor familiar with securities fraud probes.

The article goes on to point out that Mr. Anderson's own conduct could come under further scruitiny. Lawyers familiar with the case have reported to SiliconValley.com that Anderson took his 5th Amendment right not to testify during the investigation. Therefore, his election to disclose this information in a formal press release after he settled with the SEC is quite interesting indeed.

The SEC has not yet formally responded to Mr. Anderson's statements, although Apple's Board of Directors has expressed confidence in Mr. Jobs.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Even if what Anderson said is true, would it really matter? Jobs still isn't the one that fabricated false records of a board meeting.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Even if what Anderson said is true, would it really matter? Jobs still isn't the one that fabricated false records of a board meeting.

If the SEC finds out that Jobs made innaccurate statements to them, Jobs could land in a lot of hot water. If he made false statements... well, lets just say game over.

That's IF he made false statements, mind you. Currently, I'd believe Jobs over Anderson, given the information we have today.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
If the SEC finds out that Jobs made innaccurate statements to them, Jobs could land in a lot of hot water. If he made false statements... well, lets just say game over.

That's IF he made false statements, mind you. Currently, I'd believe Jobs over Anderson, given the information we have today.

it would seem awfully stupid of Anderson to make a comment - actualy issue a press release - without some foundation, because he would have known the repercussions of doing so. With that in mind the problem is definitely not over for Jobs.

Saying that, this woman, Kathleen Bisaccia, is former chief of enforcement for the SEC in San Francisco, so she's speculating herself. it could well be that the SEC has already dealt with this issue in its own investigation, hence the delayed response while they get it down in writing all nice, tight and legal.

vertgo

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
I bet the SEC already knows and drops it

From what I gather, I think that Anderson's lawyer wouldn't let him say anything that would get him into more trouble, and I bet that he's released this information to them already. As a result of his own freedom of speech, i think he just felt it necessary that he said this so that his career isn't cut short. Of course if i made as much money as any of those guys, i woulda retired a long time ago.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't know if Steve did anything wrong or not, but CEOs get away with too much these days, and his creative vision doesn't justify anything. So if he DID do something illegal (big if), I won't object to seeing him spend some minimum-security time, followed by demotion from CEO to some kind of special advisor, with the same input he always had... at the reduced salary of 75 cents :)

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
I don't know if Steve did anything wrong or not, but CEOs get away with too much these days, and his creative vision doesn't justify anything. So if he DID do something illegal (big if), I won't object to seeing him spend some minimum-security time, followed by demotion from CEO to some kind of special advisor, with the same input he always had... at the reduced salary of 75 cents :)

It's the accountant vs. the rock star.... let's see who wins.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
This is indeed a dead horse. The SEC already said they will not pursue further investigations against Apple because Steve Jobs and the rest of Apple had co-operated to well with their inquiries. This statement came "after" Anderson made those statements.

It gets to be a little tiring when reporters like this make up news about an already dead story in order to justify their salaries.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
This is indeed a dead horse. The SEC already said they will not pursue further investigations against Apple because Steve Jobs and the rest of Apple had co-operated to well with their inquiries. This statement came "after" Anderson made those statements.

Not going after Apple and not going after Steve Jobs are two different things.

That being said, yes I agree this story feels old. But as long as there is news about it, this is a very important story, so unfortunately we need to cover it. We don't want to be in a position where we don't cover it, and all of the sudden Steve Jobs is sacked as CEO and we have to report the entire back-story! :eek:

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
I don't know if what Anderson said is true or not. It is not up to me to decide given the information I do or don’t have.

[STANDS ON SOAPBOX]

But, as said elsewhere in this and related posts, CEO's in general seem to be under tighter scrutiny - and rightfully so given their positions - and some are engaging in questionable activity, maybe not illegal, but questionable. And they should be accountable. It has happened at a few companies in the past and should continue if justified.

Now, all things considered, I think the media has a responsibility to society that it seems to have either forgotten or ignored. And that is balanced reporting of the facts. Too often someone stands up and says something that may or may not be true and before you know it, it is reported as 'fact' all over the place. And worse still are opinionated news reporters - most notable Fox News - who claim their opinions are facts and their viewers end up believing them.

And at the end of the day no-one apologizes for the false accusations or supposed news commentary when what was widely reported is proven inaccurate.

And don't give me any of those free speech excuses - free speech should not allow you to make whatever statements you feel like especially if these statements are not based on fact or substantiatable (is that a word?).

So, if Anderson is telling the truth then the SEC should apply whatever sanctions and/or penalties the law requires. If what he says in not true then the media should make it clear as such -- and even devote as much time refuting the claim as they have reporting it.

[\STAND ON SOAPBOX]

Macbie

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
Anderson should know he could get him self in a lot trouble again if SEC decide to review this case again
I think Anderson probably told SEC about this in the beginning or during the investigation, I really doubt if he wanted to cry foul he will do it after the SEC went easy on him

Macbie

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
unless he got good evidences otherwise it's just he said he said stuff, if SEC really are after Stevie they should have already done it the day they settled the deal with Anderson

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I really wanted to add the following to the article :rolleyes:

In other related news, Apple has issued a statement officially apologizing for releasing a dead horse into the wild that news and rumor sites like to beat

PINIATA!!!!! Beat it up and get the iPods and mac Minis that fall out!!! :eek: :p

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
Again, how can anything Thompson says be really proved or disproved?

How much hard evidence could this man produce that the SEC couldn't have found on their own? And his testimony alone is worth squat, it's his word versus Jobs', and only one is an admitted criminal.

All this article says is that the SEC may just make sure no detail was overlooked with Jobs, but I highly doubt a convicted man's PR stunt would alone would lead to a formal large-scale investigation of Jobs after the fact. And if this was the last piece in the puzzle to build a case against Jobs, I doubt the SEC would have made the comments they did a few days ago.

Uragon

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Does this means that SEC did not do their job properly during the investigation? Or would they simply, take Mr. Anderson's new statement as a fact? I read somewhere (not sure though, now) that SEC was satisfied with the investigation and cleared jobs.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Not going after Apple and not going after Steve Jobs are two different things.

That being said, yes I agree this story feels old. But as long as there is news about it, this is a very important story, so unfortunately we need to cover it. We don't want to be in a position where we don't cover it, and all of the sudden Steve Jobs is sacked as CEO and we have to report the entire back-story! :eek:

By not going after Apple it implies there is no person left on the board of directors to "go after" because Apple is run by the board.If they were to go after Jobs they never would have exonerated Apple.

Tacitus

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2004
UK
What will be interesting is when they take Heinen to trial. At trial an awful lot of skeletons start falling out of cupboards.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
If Anderson is not lying Jobs is finished.

Remember, It doesn't matter if they prosecute or not. Jobs would be a total scum bag to let others take the fall and he would be better off making license plates

IMHO and (hopefully) yours

I've already mentally acclimated to moving back to Windows ;)

(just kidding-about Windows ,that is)

as a note:
I remember being somewhat surprised when Steve announced the iPhone. He seemed to make such a big deal out of it. I couldn't help thinking something was amiss and right then thought that he may be guilty and distracted and maybe losing it a little . It wasn't that the iPhone was bad or anything, it just seemed that he was inordinately excited about it.

STLSigns

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2006
USA
Like the movie says...

"Tell me, Mr. Anderson... what good is a phone call... if you're unable to speak?"

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
as a note:
I remember being somewhat surprised when Steve announced the iPhone. He seemed to make such a big deal out of it. I couldn't help thinking something was amiss and right then thought that he may be guilty and distracted and maybe losing it a little . It wasn't that the iPhone was bad or anything, it just seemed that he was inordinately excited about it.

That's a real shame you see things that way. Your life must be a living hell!

I'm GENUINELY serious here - Have you sought professional help for this condition ?

STLSigns

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2006
USA
Can't stop now...more...

"Why, Mr. Anderson? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more than just your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desparately to justify an existence that is without meaning or porpose."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.