Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
That's a real shame you see things that way. Your life must be a living hell!

I'm GENUINELY serious here - Have you sought professional help for this condition ?

Your GENUINELY?

That's very emphatic, you were obviously VERY excited about the iPhone.

Well your not alone.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Why is this news??
Everyone already knew steve was aware about the backdating, he just wasn't cognizant of the legal repercussions. The SEC knew that, so Anderson's statement isn't revelatory in any way that I can see.... he's just trying to say "its not my fault."

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
Your GENUINELY?

That's very emphatic, you were obviously VERY excited about the iPhone.

Well your not alone.

I'm only trying to help....

Yes I am excited about iPhone - It's virtually a mac' in my pocket - what Apple fan wouldn't be excited about that ?

Chimaera

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2002
Why is this news??
Everyone already knew steve was aware about the backdating, he just wasn't cognizant of the legal repercussions. The SEC knew that, so Anderson's statement isn't revelatory in any way that I can see.... he's just trying to say "its not my fault."

Maybe the SEC did accept that Jobs was unaware of the legal issues and as such chose to cut him some leeway. Unfortunately the CFO testifying that he'd made Jobs aware of the issue would at best cast doubt on that defence, if not knacker it completely.

The SEC are these days absolute death on improper accounting practices so if they do get sufficient information to prosecute I would expect them to throw the book at Jobs (and with good reason).

Personally I have no idea what really happened but have to let the SEC do their job - if that means reopening the investigation then so be it, if not then fine.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
None of this is news and all is gossip/rumors/spin/distraction, pushed by hedge funds, etc., intended to create uncertainty and volatility in Apple stock. Like clockwork, in the past couple years, good news at Apple has been accompanied by "SJ ate my dog" caliber stories. Further, IMHO, the SEC is unlikely to do anything since any action against SJ would hurt Apple and the shareholders, thus hurting one of the few innovative US companies doing well on the world stage. The Bush administration has enough trouble without shooting itself in the other foot.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
If the SEC finds out that Jobs made innaccurate statements to them, Jobs could land in a lot of hot water. If he made false statements... well, lets just say game over.

That's IF he made false statements, mind you. Currently, I'd believe Jobs over Anderson, given the information we have today.

If he did make false statements, that would be perjury. Not only would he not be able be an officer in any publicly traded company, he would be spend a couple years hanging with Scooter Libby in a federal prison. That's not so good.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
If he did make false statements, that would be perjury. Not only would he not be able be an officer in any publicly traded company, he would be spend a couple years hanging with Scooter Libby in a federal prison. That's not so good.

But a press release can't be perjury.

Its possible that Anderson is trying to throw Jobs under the bus. Its also possible that Steve knew about what was going on an that it was illegal. Then again I think all of this happened pre-Sarbains-Oxley(damn scary that the spell checker recognizes both names!)

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Ya know,

I really, really hope this ain't true. I will feel pretty let down.

I think we all had a soft spot for the Jobster. If he turns out to be a another callous, self serving, arrogant, egocentric, (ok, i'm getting carried away)

then....I don't know.

I mean,

Bummer man.

Stevie, say it isn't so!

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
Ya know,

I think we all had a soft spot for the Jobster. If he turns out to be a another callous, self serving, arrogant, egocentric, (ok, i'm getting carried away)

Well, we knew all that already. The only issue for me is, what happens to Apple once he's out of the picture? Does he have any capable underlings, or would it suddenly be like the 90s all over again? We've already had the cancer scare; I was looking forward to old age and retirement being the only barriers to keeping him in charge permanently. Frickin' SEC... well if he deserves it they should throw the book at him; I just hope the judge and jury value their iPods and MacBooks more than, like, the law, or the truth or what have you... :rolleyes:

I guess if he had some smoking-gun type evidence, he would have used it in his defense. Instead he cried mommy and made a plea deal. I don't know if that means he does or doesn't have hard evidence.

Now something else to consider is the other defendant that did NOT make a plea deal. She might have firm evidence of Jobs involvement.

In any case, I feel Jobs, being CEO, should have personally made sure this (and ANY financial statement) was properly filed knowing people go to jail for things like this.

Whiskerdreams

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2007
Michigan
He isn't gone yet!

Ya know,

then....I don't know.

I mean,

Bummer man.

Stevie, say it isn't so!

Man, he isn't gone yet... Let's give Steve the benefit of the doubt and not talk about him in the past tense like he's already in jail... :eek:

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
By not going after Apple it implies there is no person left on the board of directors to "go after" because Apple is run by the board.If they were to go after Jobs they never would have exonerated Apple.

I'm not sure that is correct. I believe that Apple itself can be sued as a company, and then in a quite separate instance, the SEC can go after individuals within Apple.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Even if what Anderson said is true, would it really matter? Jobs still isn't the one that fabricated false records of a board meeting.
Yeah, why would it matter if he lied to officials charged with investing possible illegal corporate activity? What's the big deal, right? :D

I'm impressed with Steve Jobs' skill at running Apple and providing market vision but that is completely irrelevant in relation to this investigation.

If he was involved with back-dating stock grants this is equivalent to stealing from the company, stealing from every shareholder of Apple stock. I never understood why people view burglars and shop-lifters as horrible people but a criminal that uses legal documents and accountants is only being a little mischievous. At least most criminals that commit traditional thievery do it out of desperation. White-collar crime is not done out of desperation - it's done out of greed and that's far worse in my opinion.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Steve Jobs and Apple cooperated fully with the SEC. Anderson pleaded the fifth; The SEC should either drop it or investigate Anderson more since he seems to be the one who wasn't initially being very cooperative and then all the sudden drops this bomb.

Maybe under good faith Apple should pay the stockholders the difference.

Since all of the happened before the new law was added; it makes sense that any wrong doing should be punished how ever it was before the new law.

-mark

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
If he was involved with back-dating stock grants this is equivalent to stealing from the company, stealing from every shareholder of Apple stock. I never understood why people view burglars and shop-lifters as horrible people but a criminal that uses legal documents and accountants is only being a little mischievous. At least most criminals that commit traditional thievery do it out of desperation. White-collar crime is not done out of desperation - it's done out of greed and that's far worse in my opinion.

Hello?? Do you understand the issue? It's not stealing. It's not greed. It's accounting. SJ didn't just give himself options at a lower price w/o the knowledge of the board. What he received was bargained for compensation. More options would have had to have been given if at a higher price to confer the same benefit. Generally, under existing rules, options grants are supposed to be at the price on the date of the grant, or if at a lower price, under accounting rules there's an immediate value, and expense to the corporation. If over the course of a week a stock goes up 10%, those options are worth 10% more a week later. Backdating confers an immediate benefit, even though not presently exercisable, and even if drop 10% a week later, becoming worthless. But substantively, nothing has changed. The options are there. The exercise price is the same. It's an accounting issue. It's wrong. It's now clearly against the rules. But it was fairly common back then in accounting circles. That doesn't make any of it right, but put it in the proper perspective.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
Isn't what happens in these instances (backdating) a bit like being able to bet on a horse when the race has already finished?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I think it may have been mentioned already, but there's little doubt that whatever Fred Anderson had to say to the SEC, he said to them long ago -- or a least before they struck the plea agreement with him. It looks to me like Anderson is the guy who feels like he's been thrown under the bus and is getting back at Steve Jobs in the one way he can -- by making public statements he's already made to SEC investigators.

WillGonz

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2005
It's all a bunch of hear say. If former CFO Fred Anderson did not verify the Stock Options Grants with the board, then that is his error. It's Fred's fault for taking Steves word. Cover your a$$.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Isn't what happens in these instances (backdating) a bit like being able to bet on a horse when the race has already finished?

No. First, it may be like betting on a 10 lap race after the first 100 yards when there are restrictions on exercise. Second, it's betting with the same entity granting the options which is willing to give that little, potential head start, not with the general public. There is nothing wrong with getting options with a backdated lower price. It's how they are accounted for that's the problem.

pyramid6

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
There is something illegal about falsifying board meetings to get your back dated stock options. In my opinion, the only reason SJ is still Apple’s CEO is because if they fire him, Apple’s stock will lose 25% of it’s value. The thing that pisses me off is, SJ has more money than 100 of us will ever see in our lifetime,s and he still is involved in a scheme to get more. If he in innocent, then he will proven so, if he is guilty, then he needs to be punished for it.
I love Apple products as much as the next guy, but I’m tired of people being greedy. It’s the little guy that always pays.

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
"Why, Mr. Anderson? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more than just your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desparately to justify an existence that is without meaning or porpose."

I really thought the last word was porpoise. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.