Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Second-Generation AirPods Pro Widely Rumored to Launch in First Half of 2021

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release second-generation AirPods Pro within the first half of 2021, according to unnamed industry sources cited by Taiwanese publication DigiTimes in a report focused on flash memory supplier Winbond.

From the report:
Winbond is also expected to be among the NOR flash suppliers for Apple's next-generation AirPods Pro slated for launch later in the first half of this year, the sources indicated. The Taiwan-based chipmaker will be running its NOR flash production lines at nearly full capacity utilization during the six-month period.
This follows a report from Japanese blog Mac Otakara that claimed the new AirPods Pro will be released in April alongside a third-generation iPhone SE. That report did not offer any details about the new AirPods Pro beyond claiming that the wireless charging case will have slightly tweaked dimensions compared to the original.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has previously reported that Apple is aiming to make the AirPods Pro more compact by eliminating the stem that sticks out from the bottom of the earphones, but it's unclear if Apple will achieve this feat. Gurman said Apple had a design in testing with a rounder shape that fills more of the ear, similar to Google's Pixel Buds or Samsung's Galaxy Buds. That report likewise mentioned a 2021 release date.Introduced in November 2019, the current AirPods Pro feature an in-ear design with three sizes of soft, flexible silicone tips included in the box, along with shorter stems below the ear. AirPods Pro have several upgraded features over regular AirPods, including active noise cancellation, improved sound quality, and water and sweat resistance.

Previous rumors have suggested that Apple also plans to update the standard AirPods in the first half of 2021 with a similar design as the AirPods Pro, but without active noise cancellation, allowing for a lower price point. The current lineup includes the standard AirPods with either a wired charging case for $159 or a wireless charging case for $199, and the AirPods Pro with a wireless charging case for $249.

Article Link: Second-Generation AirPods Pro Widely Rumored to Launch in First Half of 2021

Reactions: Mike_Trivisonno

monroerr

macrumors member
May 25, 2018
I cannot use the first generation AirPod Pro's as I am one of the unfortunate individuals allergic to the silicone they use. I have passed them on to others and every person has had the same irritation or reaction. I have gone back to my original all plastic AirPods which are good enough.

Reactions: Doodah7 and Jeddd1
Comment

contacos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I learned my lesson and will never get AirPods without AppleCare+ ever again. Not sure if that speaks against the product itself or myself for supporting it by still buying them lol

1st Gen AirPod had to be replaced during warranty (left one stopped working). At this point they last about 30 minutes

1st Gen AirPod Pro also had to be replaced for cracking noises and I fear the worst now.

i know they are very popular and i enjoy them for the convenience but certainly not for their longevity

Comment

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I cannot use the first generation AirPod Pro's as I am one of the unfortunate individuals allergic to the silicone they use. I have passed them on to others and every person has had the same irritation or reaction. I have gone back to my original all plastic AirPods which are good enough.
You can always buy replacement tips from a third party. Check out Comply foam tips for the AirPod Pro. Comply has been around, and many swear by them.

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
guessing better sound and better battery life. hope to see more colour options at last

Comment

icwhatudidthere

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2019
Comply make foam tip replacements for the AirPod Pros. They fit great both in my ear and in the case.

ETA: Ninja'ed but here's another vote for Comply. Stay away from any of the cheap Chinese ones on Amazon.

Comment

apb87

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
I really hope they expand the different gestures. Being able to mute/unmute directly from the Airpods would be a nice feature, and is currently missing from them compared to other bluetooth headphone options.

Reactions: jyw104
Comment

MacLoveMacHate

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2017
Unless they were facing that much competition elsewhere it seems premature to update headphones less than two years later, but hey not gonna complain

Comment

alfonsog

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
I mean were they just never going to update them.. not much of a rumor... and the first half of 2021 so June 30? Apple is getting much better at not leaking.

Comment

AmazeSE

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
Yes but please make the stem longer, so that you can use them for phone calls.
Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has previously reported that Apple is aiming to make the AirPods Pro more compact by eliminating the stem that sticks out from the bottom of the earphones
lol. I don’t think the stem will be getting longer. But I do
believe that the AirPods Pro are more than good enough for phone calls. In fact they have one of the best mics compared to it’s competitors.

Last edited:
Comment

AmazeSE

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure about the SE3 part, seems a bit soon?

I'm all over a new pair of Pro's though.
Yeah even I feel it is too soon. But the new rumored SE is said to look totally different from the current one.
It’s rumored to have all screen display with Touch ID in the power button. The display size is rumored to be 5.5 to 6.1 inch.

Reliable Analyst Ming Chi Kuo expects a SE plus this year. On the other hand Barclays analysts do not think that a new SE is coming in the foreseeable future.

Comment

macaddon

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020
yep hope they are better than the current ones ,RH one ran down fast lh 95% rh 10% contacted apple they put a hold on the my cc new one came but that was DOA rang them again unless individual at the end of the phone could not understand it don't work , then he wanted to put another hold on the cc now at £170 I refused and sent the new duff one back , then they sent a survey on their performance it started as extremely dissatisfied and when down hill from there

Comment

clive27

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Current Airpods Pro is pretty much perfect earbuds for me. I can wear it when I work in office (transparency mode), or in lab (NC on), while exercising (doesn't drop out and NC cancel out my internal sound).
I don't know what they can improve from the current version..

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.