Second-Generation Apple Pencil Rumored for March of 2017

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple may be planning to introduce a second-generation Apple Pencil this year, according to rumors out of the Asian supply chain. The new Apple Pencil could be unveiled at an event rumored to take place in March, where it would be shown off along with the next-generation iPad Pro.

Prospective features for a second-generation Apple Pencil aren't known, but a previous report from Bloomberg has suggested Apple is considering new iPad capabilities that would let the Apple Pencil to work in a larger range of apps, which could be introduced alongside the new accessory.

[​IMG]

There's also been some speculation that Apple could build in functionality outlined in several patents, including new antenna technology and a magnet that would allow the Apple Pencil to attach to an iPad's body when not in use.

While we don't yet have any concrete detail on what could potentially be included in a second-generation Apple Pencil, given the major changes expected to be introduced to the iPad Pro lineup, it makes some sense for Apple to unveil an updated pencil accessory.

Rumors suggest Apple will introduce a new iPad Pro model somewhere around 10 inches with an almost bezel-free design. Though the rumored iPad will use a larger 10-inch+ display, it's said to be the same size as the existing 9.7-inch iPad Pro. Features like Touch ID would reportedly be built into the display, much like the rumored iPhone 8, and it is expected to include improved display technology and an upgraded A10X processor.

Article Link: Second-Generation Apple Pencil Rumored for March of 2017

2. jyen macrumors regular

Let me guess... thinner, shorter battery life, price bump, now available in jet black.

3. gugy, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017

gugy macrumors 68030

gugy

Cool, I like the Apple Pencil, if they can make it better, props.

Maybe if the could make charging port female, that could be great. The fact the port is male, every time I charge on my iPad I have the fear it can break easily on an accident. They have to figure out a more elegant way there.

4. citysnaps macrumors 601

Makes sense. My wife the graphic artist could be interested.

5. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Hopefully becoming more like the Surface Pen in many ways.
    And they need to get rid of the current charging... it should charge wirelessly from the side of the iPad and the battery life should be longer. That should allow them to implement an eraser.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Interesting. This isn't the type of accessory I expected to get major updates, though I do think they may expand support for it, perhaps to a special iMac if the Surface Studio takes off.

7. dantroline macrumors regular

dantroline

I only hope the old Apple Pencils will work on the new iPads and vice versa, but this is very interesting news.

8. m.x macrumors regular

m.x

I hope this rumor is true. An eraser would be a welcomed addition, and maybe a button to perform tasks like choosing objects seamless without having to touch the screen with the hand.
    And I really hope they don't use the Stylus 2 as a USP for the Pro 2. Please make it backwards compatible!

9. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

An 'eraser' feature like the Surface Pro tablets have would be wonderful. The magnet to attach to the iPad seems like it should have been a generation one feature.

10. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

Ming Chi Kuo stated Apple Pencil 2 will be 'lead free' in order to reduce weight.

11. Coconut Bean macrumors member

Probably new port (lightning air) so it can be thinner. Also expected: new dangles.

12. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

Introducing Apple Pencil Pro

Features:

Jet Black color option so it's easier to lose
    Faster response time and higher precision
    No more ports - just shake vigorously to charge
    Priced at $279 - Replacement tips (4-pack) - $99

13. macTW Suspended

I don't care for the pencil much, but I want the bezel-less iPad.

14. AngerDanger, Jan 18, 2017

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

On a dadaist whim, Apple will release the Pencil 2 with iPhone 7 compatibility and, inexplicably, a headphone jack where the Lighting connector currently is.

pencilphonessans.png

Critics have already described the new Pencil as, "You want me to describe what? Why are you holding a pencil that's dripping white paint?"

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

Since I lost my pencil... I'll wait until March to see what happens!

16. McCool71 macrumors 6502a

and a magnet that would allow the Apple Pencil to attach to an iPad's body when not in use

This is so basic though that it blew my mind that it wasn't there from day 1.

17. rudychidiac Suspended

rudychidiac

I hope they get rid of its lightning port, and instead of that, they add an eraser... as for charging, i hope they ship it with dock that can be placed on the desk, and when pencil goes in it, it charges, like AirPods

18. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

I've never understood why there weren't more cases with Pencil holders. In Europe, they're basically non-existent. In the end, I ordered something on AliExpress:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item//32692991593.html
    Note that I don't give a fig whether you buy it or not, I'm not affiliated with these guys. But that case is simply so good that I don't want to withold it from people, especially because if you lose that Pencil, you're out a cool $100.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2017 ---
    Yesss this. It would be so natural and I've longed for it many times.

19. alphaswift macrumors regular

Thank you, powers-that-be. Apple engineers should be commended for making a Pencil that sucks and blows at the same time. Please steal the Microsoft Surface pen and we'll all be happy clams.

20. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Makes me wonder if we'll see the second-generation AirPods this September.

21. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

I've tried flat pencils and pens. They're actually quite comfortable compared to the round ones. Plus they don't roll around if you set them down.

22. fokmik, Jan 18, 2017

fokmik macrumors 68040

i wonder where do you attach the pen with magnets? since the device is so thin, i guess not on the edge,but on the left of the screen?

23. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I just hope it'll be compatible with the current lineup of iPad Pro (12.9" and 9.7"). I'd have to see what the improvements are before I leap though. I love the Pencil as it is now, but the battery drain when not in use is terrible. It's nearly always dead when I go to use it (infrequently about 2x a week lately).

I suppose I could turn off Bluetooth on my iPad Pros when not using Pencil, but I'm a heavy AirDrop user, so that's a somewhat lame workaround.

24. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

After seeing that one patent from a while ago, I'm mostly hoping they finally add compatibility with the new MBP trackpads. The larger surface area would really lend itself to the Apple Pencil and it would definitely convince me to buy one on release day.

25. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

Wonder if it'll have a W1-like chip for easy pairing/device switching + longer battery.