Second legal owner of an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nicko4882, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Nicko4882 macrumors newbie

Nicko4882

I recently purchased an iPad mini form police auction of unclaimed merchandise. It was explained at this auction that a lot of times people reported things lost or stolen, file an insurance claim, and then when their item is recovered they refuse to claim it because the insurance company has already paid them for the lost or stolen merchandise. If they did claim it they would then have to reimburse the insurance company.

I have tried working with apple support to get my iPad unlocked because it is cloud locked. I have provided a copy of my receipt of purchase and was told since it is not a receipt from when it was purchased New that they can't do anything. I have followed the letter of the law in the state of Massachusetts to purchase my iPad legally. Is there anything else I can do? How do you feel about the situation?

2. 0007776 Suspended

If they advertised it as working you might be able to get your money back from the police or whatever company they had hold the auction for them. If it was sold as is then you're probably out of luck.

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

Yeah, you're more likely to get satisfaction from the police than Apple here.

4. Nicko4882 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nicko4882

Returning it is not an option for me. I just think it's a little ridiculous that there's no policy on how to deal with this type of situation on apples end. from my research it seems it happens often enough that apple should start coming up with a solution for this type issue

5. triple-tap macrumors 6502

The proposition that Apple should make their devices LESS SECURE is a bit ridiculous. Your are upset that Apple won't (or "can't") override their security protocols to appease your decision to buy a device recovered by police. I guarantee that, had you asked this forum whether you should buy a device from the police, you would have been advised to save yourself the time and money you have now wasted.

I'd look at craigslist for someone who is willing to buy your device as "iCloud locked."

6. Puonti macrumors 6502a

It is really unfortunate if indeed you don't have the option to return the iPad. I'm assuming it's not an option because the auction description for this item was accompanied with the caveat "sold as-is" or "sold iCloud locked" or other words to the effect of "there's no guarantee it will work". If it wasn't accompanied by such, I'd definitely take it up with the police / auction house, to see how they feel about the fact that the device's locked state / status was not clearly advertised. They might refuse to reimburse you regardless, but it would still be worth trying since otherwise you're automatically and without recourse out of whatever amount you paid.

As for Apple not having a policy for dealing these types of situations - they do. Their policy is not to unlock iCloud locked devices unless original proof of purchase is provided. It's a great policy when you're the one whose device has been stolen, and a hindrance that can be avoided if you're buying a second hand device.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If it were my stolen iPad I would wish it never came back to life again. I believe you would too.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It definitely should have been made clear that the iPad was locked, there is no way to unlock it, and that the buyer should consider it for parts only as is. Perhaps that was a disclaimer somewhere that all items were as is?

That being said, if my iPad was stolen, I was reimbursed for it, and then declined it when it was recovered I'd be willing to help the legitimate new owner unlock it. I'm pretty sure the cops wouldn't give you that info though.

Regardless, sorry this happened OP.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For Apple to verify claims from people claiming they legitimately purchased iCloud locked iPads would be a very complicated process. In your case, they'd need the police to provide them with some document showing how they came into possession of the iPad, showing how they attempted to contact the owner, how the owner refused to claim it, and then they'd need proof that the original owner had legal possession of the iPad to begin with. That's a lot of paperwork for just one iPad. Imagine it multiplied by thousands or even tens of thousands. There's no way Apple wants to deal with all that, and there's no obligation for them to take on such a task.

10. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Honestly, the police department have better things to do with their time, too.

11. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Since the insurance company paid the person that it was stolen from, shouldn't the item be sent back to the insurance company since they are now the rightful owner

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Obviously Apple never helped known thieves to unlock iPhones or iPads. But it has happened in the past that someone convinced Apple support that they were the legitimate owner of a device when they weren't, with all kinds of problems following. Especially if someone stole your iPad to uncover your secrets. And of course if an Apple employee _can_ unlock your iPhone or iPad, then some unscrupulous employee could do that being paid by thieves.

The conclusion: If Apple is absolutely, one hundred percent incapable of unlocking your device, then this drives down the value of stolen devices and therefore the number of thefts, and it prevents situations where people's secrets are uncovered. On average, this is of beneficial to Apple's customers. Sometimes it isn't.

Now something that you might not have realised or connected up with your experience... A few months ago some guy shot over a dozen people, the FBI found his work iPhone and asked Apple to unlock it, and Apple said they couldn't. And that was that. So obvously they won't unlock your device.

13. bufffilm, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Never should have bought it as Apple will not unlock it. Had you asked, we would have told you that.

14. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

I wouldn't recommend buying Apple products unless the original owner explicitly wants you to own it for reasons like this, heh.

You might just be out of money on this one.

15. Spink10, Aug 27, 2016

Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

It's unforntate situation. I agree with Apple on their policy.

16. Spink10, Aug 27, 2016

Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Hopefully OP can return iPad if it was incorrectly described.

17. bufffilm, Aug 27, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Those sales are usually final...they never include any warranty or guarantee. As is.

18. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

There is a policy at Apple, not to unlock the device unless you are the owner. How would you like it if you were the original owner that it was stolen from. Would you want Apple to unlock your device for a new owner that could then ruin your life with your information that you had taken precautions to protect?

19. masotime macrumors 68020

masotime

It's not ridiculous. Just avoid this kind of situation by paying the full price for an Apple product from a reputable store next time.

You should have realized that buying something from an auction is always going to be risky - you just happened to draw the short straw.

20. Nicko4882 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nicko4882

My only question is since I'm verifying the serial number with this shouldn't apple be able to contact the owner through the cloud account and at least give the original owner an opportunity if they decides to communicate via email with me to get it unlocked. All the owner officially has to do is remove The device from their cloud account. As for the owners precious information being seen by secondary buyer that's complete a nonexistent situation, in order to gain access to the cloud device you have to reformat the device to as new condition as part of the unlock process
    --- Post Merged, Aug 29, 2016 ---

In reference to the FBI case the FBI was looking to gain access to the persons cloud account I'm not looking to gain access to their cloud account I'm looking for the device to be untethered from the cloud account which requires a reformat of the device which would delete any information that the previous user had placed on it therefore would make it a factory fresh device no compromise of any information

21. triple-tap macrumors 6502

Bottom line is that you screwed up, and should have done more research before buying the police recovery iPad. Lesson learned. As recommended above, sell for parts and recover as much as possible. Then, go buy yourself a refurb or watch for a sale at BestBuy, Target, etc.

22. 617aircav Suspended

Didn't you test it out before paying for it? Surely you should have.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

And suppose Apple or the police were able to get in touch with the original owner, why should the previous owner accommodate you? Sure, it might take five minutes of their time, but it's still their time, and they have no obligation to spend it helping you, a total stranger. And Apple also has no obligation to spend time and resources helping you get in touch with the original owner. You brought the device from the police/auction house, you have no contractual or financial relationship with Apple. The only party who might have an obligation to help you is the police/auction house, but if they sold it with the caveat that the device is being sold "as is," with no guarantee that it'll work, well, no dice. As other posters have said, in the future, stay away from buying devices being sold "as is."

24. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Iirc, law enforcement wasn't trying to get to the iCloud account. I believe they can issue a subpoena for that. What they wanted Apple to do was override the encryption on the device itself so they can retrieve local information or provide a tool to override encryption and that's what Apple was refusing to do.

Granted, this isn't the same scenario. Iirc, Apple policy is they wouldn't even contact owners for lost and found iPhones. If you can't find the owner on your own, you'd just have to bring the device to the police. Given you seem to have acquired one of those devices, I really don't see Apple helping with your case.

25. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030