Second thoughts about Aluminum...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dtlee1974, Sep 17, 2018.

1. jlgreer1 macrumors newbie

jlgreer1

I have a Seiko Titanium dive watch that I have had for 20+ years. It has been banged around a lot. The "glass" is Seiko's Sapphlex. It is very thick and tough. Over the twenty years it scratched once. At the next battery change, the crystal was replaced and it remains unscratched. (The watch still keeps practically perfect time.)

I do used a Fitbit Flex at the gym for a couple of years. (I know, blasphemy!) I had a screen protector but scraped it up dragging it against a wall. I removed the protector and have been using the watch bare for about six months. Surprise! No scratches.

I'm moving up to an S4. I have always wanted an Apple Watch. I'm going to use the Mickey Mouse display. ;)

Jeff

2. nealh macrumors 6502

Reality is what will AppleCare truly cover... can I request replacement for scratches in the screen??

Do they have a criteria for what they consider accidental damage that will allow replacement screen??

3. IngerMan, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

Yes to their criteria and Yes

4. 1136629 macrumors member

Requesting replacement due to scratches may be a no go. Traditionally Apple deems scratches as cosmetic. Unless something has changed with the release of these new products.

5. IngerMan, Sep 23, 2018

IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

6. 1136629 macrumors member

Do what you feel you have to do man, my response was in regards to you saying yes about being able to request a replacement through Applecare+ due to scratches. That's simply false.

7. IngerMan, Sep 23, 2018

IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

I was just stating the obvious if you want a replacement due to scratches. Use your head you have 2 accidental incidents. A $300 plus watch should not scratch easily.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You Definitely misunderstood what that member said. With Applecare Plus, you have two accidental incidents you can use within the lifespan of the device.

9. nealh, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

nealh macrumors 6502

Understand the AppleCare + has criteria
    But for a watch what seems coverage.

Obviously a cracked screen but I have not seen how they determine what Apple calls accidental damage

I re-read their terms.... I doubt any scratch falls in coverage...deep etc. you need to crack the screen since it states it has to affect the functioning of the device.

10. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

I had one on my S1 Sport, not the GREATEST look, but it was piece of mind. I do remember after I first got the watch, it had the protector...I went to Target, opened one of the fridges for Half and Half and hit the watch on one of the sharp shelves. Nice little gouge, slight cut to the rubber face protector, but absolutely no damage at all to the actual Watch face thank god If I didnt have the protector, that would have been a nice deep gouge in the face.

11. nealh macrumors 6502

Did you damage the SS? but nothing to the watch screen?

12. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Yeah I hate those shield protectors on the watch they are so hideous looking. I put a film screen protector on that covers the entire face glass. Seems to be ok. The moment it comes off though I doubt I’ll put another on.
    The best feature of the stainless steel version is the sapphire. I put the S0 through some hell it never scratched or chipped. The S3 I had hit a couple things accidentally like the buckle on my seat belt & corners on my kitchen counter like the S0 didn’t even phase it. I’m not that confident the aluminum would hold up to that. But when I picked it up at the Apple store some of the aluminum models I saw traded in looked near destroyed IMHO and they still got $225 from Apple on their trade-in. So F-it, the stainless steel version losses to much value in a year to continue bothering with until the tech starts to peak I’ll continue with the aluminum. It’s still a nice watch just needs a little care.

13. 1136629 macrumors member

I understood fully as I always purchase Applecare+ for my devices. You have two accidental incidents over a two year period, not the lifespan of the device. Secondly, Apple traditionally has not granted a replacement under Applecare+ over scratches. They deem that cosmetic and would almost certainly deny the replacement claim. Same with iPhones, your chances of going into an Apple Store to get a replacement phone under Applecare+ because your screen is scratched is slim to none as well.

The member followed up suggesting if you want to get a replacement because your screen is scratched simply take it upon yourself to further damage the product so you can get the replacement you want. I wouldn’t condone or recommend that - it’s unethical.

14. Rangers94 macrumors 6502

Rangers94

Haha please. Apple is a trillion dollar company. I don’t care what’s ethical or not. If my screen is scratched and they won’t replace it because it’s not scratched “enough” even though I have AppleCare+, damn right I’m gonna scratch it to the point they replace it.

15. 1136629 macrumors member

Haha, I am not questioning who or who would not do that but I think recommending others do it on a forum is not the best practice or advice. Just a personal opinion - that is all.

16. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

Different from person to person. Someone I know has the aluminium and it looks like it’s been through hell.

I’m still rocking the SS series 0 with zero scratches on the screen. I know for a fact that if I had the aluminium the screen would be scratched up with some of the things that have happened to my SS. It is so worth the extra money.

17. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

"the stainless steel version losses to much value in a year to continue bothering "

You nailed it on the head. And THAT is why I'm back a forth with this upgrade decision, is dropping another $300 really worth it. OR it may sound a bit tacky, slap a plastic silver chrome bumper over the watch. (Yeah I admit I did that with the sport..it made it look bigger I guess.lol, other than that it looked cheap)

The trade in value for my S1 Black Stainless Steel ranges from $25 from Apple to about $60, 65 on other sites. Sure I expected it to lose value..but wow, that's insulting. I have to look at it as a computer that loses a boatload of value in 12 month, not a fine timepiece like a darn Rolex.

18. 1136629 macrumors member

Your first mistake would be trading your Apple Watch or any other Apple product into Apple. Their trade in values are absolute robbery.

Trading in through other sites and retailers would be too.

If you sell privately you would get far more money. In Canada Apple Watch devices do an excellent job at retaining their value. I sold my Series 2 SS when I got my S3 for $700 CAD. I bought it brand new for $950 and used it for a year. It was in brand new condition. I already have a buyer lined up to buy my one year old Series 3 SB SS with one extra sport band for $780 (it has Applecare+). It will be sold when I get my Series 4 Watch.

SS is the way for me, would never ever get the aluminum. Just my personal opinion, what you get for the extra money is worth it to me.

19. 1136629 macrumors member

For the record I’ve seen S1 SS sell for upwards of $300. CAD that is. If you upgrade every year though you will more or less pay a buck a day to use the watch when you take into account what you paid versus what you sold for a year later. If you only upgrade every few years than yes, the return won’t be as good.

20. Relentless Power, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is mainly untrue. Others have attested to this, The reason Being, the Apple Watch display if scratched Can’t be repaired or replaced in store, and its easier, and quicker/more efficient for the Apple store to replace the whole Watch with a replacement watch rather just replacing the dispay, Which by the way, the Genius techs are not trained to do. The Apple Watch has to be sent out to a repair depot and they do not carry replacement watches in store, so due to the timeline, Apple will replace the whole device. Another example would be if the battery is faulty, the watch repair depot will replace and send back to the customer with the same watch. However, if an iPhone display is scratched/broken, they can do so right away in store to replace it, which is far less difficult and less time consuming to do so.

21. nealh macrumors 6502

Individuals are getting coverage for scratches ?

Wonder how bad they have to be?

22. Relentless Power, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Its variable. One Member started a thread right before the Apple Watch launch and they had a deep scratch into the display, which was past the oleophobic coating and had it replaced. It likely has to be a very deep scratch I imagine would have to be severe enough with the display, however; lighter scratches that hardly visibile would be questionable.

23. 1136629 macrumors member

This is mainly untrue. A scratched Apple face doesn't warrant a repair nor does it warrant a replacement through Applecare+. If you walk into an Applestore with a scratched Apple Watch screen they are going to treat it just like a scratched iPhone screen. COSMETIC. Deny replacement. The only way for one to get a watch replacement under Applecare+ for an Apple Watch is if the screen is so scratched the ability to see the screen a D therefore use the device is incredibly hampered. Walk in there with a few scratches and you are walking out with the same watch.

24. 1136629 macrumors member

Exactly my thoughts. Your watch would have to be in real bad shape, we are not just talking about a few scratches, to get coverage for screen scratches.

25. donster28 macrumors 68000

I want to agree with you but being from Canada like you, I got better value selling my S3 Aluminum with Cellular than my S3 Stainless Steel.

I ended up trading my Aluminum at the Apple Store and got to keep the original bands and accessories it had...that’s maybe about an additional $100 worth. The store is also not as worried about minor scratching either.

Tried selling both on Kijiji but people are not biting even though I had some that commit but backout the last minute. They would rather get the refurbs at this point in time, for which I don’t blame them for.

In summary, I agree that the SS loses too much of its value at the end than the Aluminum.