Secret features in iPhone 2.2 Firmware?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Nov 20, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Does anyone think there will be secret features that Apple intentionally left out of the developer builds for 2.2? It would be amazing if tomorrow Apple announced a totally new native App for iPhone 2.2. They developed most of the iPhone's features in house before the Original iPhone was even announced. Who's to say that the developer version of 2.2 is the complete version? Does anyone remember hearing about 2.1 having the genius button or seeing screenshots of genius before 2.1 came out?

2. detz macrumors 65816

They could release a new App, maybe even something like MMS but they couldn't add features without letting developers know.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It would generate a lot of buzz if Apple threw in a a few positive surprises--they could advertise new functionality going into the holiday season.

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Why can't they add features without developers knowing? They could simply just give developers a different version of 2.2 that has the everything but, the new app.

5. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Would be great if there was a hidden feature! :D

I keep hearing from different sources that it'll come out tomorrow... Hopefully it does!

Streetview would be nice on the iPhone :)

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

To be honest, I think we will see something major added. If it was just the new google maps, the reorganization of the app store and other little things, i think the name would of been 2.1.1, but since Apple is using 2.2, something tells me they have something else up their sleeve.

7. icewing macrumors 6502

I keep hoping that they've done this with....yes, copy and paste. :rolleyes: Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow...

8. goobimama macrumors regular

Maybe if we chant loud enough, Apple will listen.

With me now…

Copy-Paste! Copy-Paste! Copy-Paste!

9. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

I wouldn't use copy/paste much but I have come across some situations when it would've come in handy.

For me push is more important than copy/paste.

10. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

MMS will come via AppStore.

Copy/ Paste wont happen. Flash not anytime soon.

Other then Google Street view which we all know about what would else could we have?

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Video recording anyone? I like Cycorder and all but it's lacking when it comes to syncing videos with my mac. :(

12. TechJunky macrumors regular

This is far more important to me than MMS or copy paste.

And what about push being offered in September? Were we supposed to forget about that?

13. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

I would love video recording! That's the only reason why I would jailbreak my iPhone. But since I most likely never will.... I guess I'm dependent on Apple to release a video recording app.

14. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

...landscape SMS and forward/ save etc?

Are people confident 22nd Nov is the day hehe just realised 2.2 November haha

15. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I have been out of the iPhone loop, so to speak, ever since I got my MB but what sources indicate that we will see the update tomorrow? That would be really great if it turns out to be true. I always get excited for updates for some odd reason.

16. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Here's to hope for landscape SMS! :)

pfft.. who am I kidding?

17. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

You know what would also be nice? Having an 'attach' button in the mail app. This past week I found myself typing the email only to realise I hadn't attached the photo. I had to go back to the photo album and hit 'send in email' and re-type the email.

If they add a button in the mail app while writing an email, you can also have an option to attach multiple photos or, who knows, maybe even files from other apps like airsharing?

18. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I'd love to see copy/paste but I'm not holding my breath.

19. Ademius macrumors regular

Maybe, but it won't be anything that's integrated through out the entire OS (e.g. Copy/cut/paste). It would rather be something independant and sandboxed.

I don't get the complaints about lack of video recording though. Would you really want to record videos in craptastic quality? The whole thing would just be a blur. Look what happends if you move the phone too much or the motive moves when you try to take a picture with the camera app. I really think we need a hardware upgrade of the camera..

I'm just hoping for A2DP :)

20. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

Ive just had a Safari and MobileMe update...has anyone checked for 2.2?

21. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I second this. I did that the other day! I was typing an email and I realized that a photo would go really great here... nope, gotta retype the entire email again.

22. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

ya wur da push at!

Not a peep about it since they said it was coming Sept.

It would be nice to hear SOMETHING.

23. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

There's been a secret feature in every version of the firmware since 2.0... craploads of unfounded speculation on forums like this...

24. firewood macrumors 604

Apple is using seeded developers as beta test guinea pigs. Anything not in the seeded developer build would not be widely tested. Possible for a last minute and fairly user hidden security patch.

25. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Oh I see... did Apple use (outside) Beta testers for 1.1.3? Did Apple use Beta testers for the initial 1.0 firmware? If they did, then I'm sorry... I was wrong... of course Apple can't build and test something internally without the help of the ultra fine Beta testers right? Like I said before... I didn't see screenshots of Genius before 2.1 came out. It was a secret and it wasn't mentioned in the Beta versions of 2.1. So THERE!