Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Maine

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
lmao @ 160 for a case good god

you gonna look really silly when you get tired of it and want a change after a few months and ditch a 160 metal case for a 25 dollar plastic one

smh

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
If you take your cell phone which you already own and open a verizon account you are paying month to month but the contract charge is exactly the same as a person who walks in a buys an iPhone 5. Now if you don't sign the contract you paid $650 at least for that iPhone 5 and you are also paying for the service which is the same as the person who paid $199 but signed a two year contract. If you and that person keep your service for 6 months you pay exactly the same. If you decide to go you don't have to pay a fee but you still paid $650+service. If the guy who signed the contract leaves he paid $199+service+$290 ETF. So really who is better off. Now obviously if you don't want to use Verizon that's another story.

How did you get this phone? Through a contract right? So that means you had to wait two years to go to verizon so you can open up a contract free agreement.

So when you want to go get that new iphone, its 199, but guess what you are locked into that new plan for another TWO years! That means when the next iphone comes out, you are going to have to pay full price. MEANING that you will have to either:

Pay full price, or wait two years.

You pay full price, you cough a lot of dough.
You wait two years, you miss out on technology, or cough up a lot of dough.

So essentially getting a new iphone will "COST" you in the long run.

----------

One week till I get this case, can't wait...

remember! its not one week, it ships thursday! so it will be one more week after that! :D

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
How did you get this phone? Through a contract right? So that means you had to wait two years to go to verizon so you can open up a contract free agreement.

So when you want to go get that new iphone, its 199, but guess what you are locked into that new plan for another TWO years! That means when the next iphone comes out, you are going to have to pay full price. MEANING that you will have to either:

Pay full price, or wait two years.

You pay full price, you cough a lot of dough.
You wait two years, you miss out on technology, or cough up a lot of dough.

So essentially getting a new iphone will "COST" you in the long run.

----------

remember! its not one week, it ships thursday! so it will be one more week after that! :D

Actually you just sell the phone you bought to begin with for about 350 and end up paying another 300 to get the new phone. Rinse and repeat each year. You don't end up spending that much if you resale your old phone.

Jasonv2

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
That case is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. How hard is that to understand? If it was made of straws and cardboard, nobody would be dropping that kind of cash on it. However, it is a precision engineered and manufactured case that appeals to a small niche in the world of phone cases. The fact that they are having to tier their release and take an extensive waiting list is evidence that there are plenty of people who are willing to pay the price they've set. It doesn't make it right or wrong.

Heck, I've seen $5 canvases with $2 worth of paint smeared on them sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Is it worth it? Apparently someone thinks it is. Worth is completely in the eye of the beholder. To YOU, it may not be worth $160, but to many many people, it certainly is.

Just because a single person, or a few are willing to pay an obscene price for an item, does not make the item retain that value. If I sold you into some Hot Wheels Toy Car that I paid 25 cents for, and got you to pay me $100k, that toy car doesn't suddenly retain the $100k value. You mention people paying thousands for paint smeared on a canvas, I'm sorry but you can't compare the value of art to that of something made of x material which does have a set value to produce.

I stated previously, people will spend more for the purpose of vanity, because that is hard to get a true value/worth on. However, when you're dealing with a case that is currently in mass production for a far cheaper price then you're paying for it, that's when the subject of value comes into play. How much more over production costs are you willing to go? You have to realize this item isn't rare, it also isn't art, just mass produced by machines. There has to be a set limit on what would be a fair value.

The fact is this case costs element a set price to produce, and element has the price inflated to make a profit. That's how business like this works, but just how much have they inflated it? Now that's another story. I personally feel at this price, Element seems to be running more of a money grab than anything else.

INTERNETUAL

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
I'm pretty sure that in the invite it tells you that in order to pre-order you have to not only use the link provided, but also once you make the order you have to put in the email, in which you received the invite, into the "special request" box upon check out. This way they can verify you legitimately are the "pre-orderer". I know that's how they did the first batch. So no one can just use anyone's order page, and it can only be used once. Good luck though, to whoever uses it. :p

Goloud

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I'm pretty sure that in the invite it tells you that in order to pre-order you have to not only use the link provided, but also once you make the order you have to put in the email, in which you received the invite, into the "special request" box upon check out. This way they can verify you legitimately are the "pre-orderer". I know that's how they did the first batch. So no one can just use anyone's order page, and it can only be used once. Good luck though, to whoever uses it. :p

It's a pre-order. Not a contest or lottery. So what if I give my spot in line to someone? It doesn't effect anyone else in line. You can only buy one.

Although this case is really nice looking, polished and uniquely engineered, it's an expensive iPhone bumper. Not a cure for cancer, not a magic bean, not a ride on a moon rocket.

Element should be happy that I passed of my $160 to someone else who will spend the money. Unless of course you, in fact, work for Element. Then I guess you aren't happy.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011

I suede the one from a couple pages back and it worked. Got my confirmation email as well. I was already signed up on the list and in their system from a previous purchase.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
If your not interested in the bumper and you think it is ugly why keep coming back to state it. Do you go to other threads and tell people that their luxury purchases are unnecessary as it costs the company less to produce?

silverpilate

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
I used the last order link provided. I am on the list but haven't received an order link. I used the one posted, and it worked fine. Got the confirmation and all.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
If you have received this email, you are a valued Element Case customer who has a new Sector 5 case reserved just for you.

Read

If you have recived this email, you are a valued Element Case customer who we think is a **** that we think we can rob again for a overpriced case that you will end up taking more car of than the phone itself.

Last edited:

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Just received my e-mail for ordering the sector 5. And just purchased it. Orders begin shipping October 18th.

Can't wait.

Email here :

If you have received this email, you are a valued Element Case customer who has a new Sector 5 case reserved just for you.

Design and development is over for the new Sector 5 FE and we're going into production. Limited quantities of the FE will be made and you are the first to have a chance to purchase one.

You only have 24 hours to place your order and you are limited to ordering one case.
Begins shipping October 18th.

The new Sector 5 features:

- Ultra thin multi-link system for fast and easy installation
- Modular design for replacement and upgrade parts options
- CNC machined in the US using aerospace grade materials
- Large volume control ports for easy access
- Laser engraved FE First Edition insignia
- Large peripheral ports, fully compatible with the 30 Pin or Lightning cable
- Protective zipper case with Transit Kit (screen protector and speed wrench)

Are these real photos?...they look like computer generated images...are there any more photos of this item?

silverpilate

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Jeez. If you don't like the price, don't get it. They have plenty of customers who will pay for the product. Just because they can sell it for that price doesn't mean they're ripping people off. Hell, no way the iPhone is worth $700, but that's what Apple will get from you if you want one bad enough.

Some people drive Geo Prisms. Some people drive nice trucks. Some people drive Ferraris. That doesn't make any of them wrong or mean they got ripped off.

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Anyone here have the sector for iPhone 4S. If so what are your impressions?

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
Just ordered this one on eBay for $ 13.99 free shipping:D

Attachments

• app-ip5-amb003a.jpg
    app-ip5-amb003a.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 161
  • app-ip5-amb003b.jpg
    app-ip5-amb003b.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 131

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
I see its been two years and element is still suckering people into buying their overpriced cases that are always in "short supply" and kill the phones signal.

I played the aluminum bumper game back when IP4 came out. Not this time element.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I see its been two years and element is still suckering people into buying their overpriced cases that are always in "short supply" and kill the phones signal.

I played the aluminum bumper game back when IP4 came out. Not this time element.

I used Element cases on my iPhone 4 for 2 1/2 years. The Pro model didn't degrade my signal at all. You're trashing something that looked great and worked well. You're not talking me out of the Sector 5 case, "not this time" Rooskibar03.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
I used Element cases on my iPhone 4 for 2 1/2 years. The Pro model didn't degrade my signal at all. You're trashing something that looked great and worked well. You're not talking me out of the Sector 5 case, "not this time" Rooskibar03.

I believe my sentence started with the letter "I". You are free to buy and use whatever you want.

I personally don't want to give this company any more of my cash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.