Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Just downloaded, runs fine, but my copy of newsfire wanted an upgrade from 24 to 26, what happened to 25? :confused:

i dunno... the more and more times i see security updates from apple that are 16 and even 21 megs i worry... microsofts only seem to be 224 k or 345 k at times...

Just loaded XP on a P2 350, then upgraded to SP2, wow that took a whole day, but it runs, and all to try napster togo :(

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Philoman said:
CubaTBird, would you rather use XP daily for your work? How many security issues do you face on the mac versus a XP? You should not judge the update by its size. one line of code can do wonder or vise versa. Perhaps, apples updates are an overwrite of a long code. They could also be working 16mb minus 345k harder than Microsoft?

I'm not a mac fanatic like some worshipers. Just telling it like I see it.

I'm a Mac fanatic, Fan Boy and a lunatic worshipper. :D

Philoman

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2003
iGary said:
I'm a Mac fanatic, Fan Boy and a lunatic worshipper. :D

Ya, let steve and apple take all your hard earned money on a quarterly ipod and hardware updates.

Try to take back a purchase back to the apple store and see if they are on your side, sucker.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Philoman said:
Ya, let steve and apple take all your hard earned money on a quarterly ipod and hardware updates.

Try to take back a purchase back to the apple store and see if they are on your side, sucker.
Who said you have to update just because new models come out? Do you buy a new car every time a new model appears?

I have 3 Macs and a 2nd gen iPod; Apple service has treated me well on the few occasions I've needed them.

You're not trolling, are you?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Dude, I just bought a 20GB iPod last week to replace a 3G - and gladly.

Am I upset new ones are coming out? Um, no....

I just bought a new camera about a month ago and they just anounced a 500 dollar cheaper version that has some similar features...am I pissed?

Um, no...

You buy what you need, when you need it.

Sure, I WANT a Dual 2.5 G5, but my PowerMac G4 at home runs all my Photoshop batches and actions fine...

I smell a troll.

:rolleyes:

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Good update. No more slow downs in Safari

Updated and no longer seeing those slow downs in Safari. Previously, Safari would ramp up its CPU usage to 100% and the cursor would spin for seconds at a time before proceeding. It's now gone after this update. Good stuff!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
longofest said:
My god people! Do you really expect a Security Update to "fix" all of Java's problems?

This fix is actually only fixing one bug in Java, even though it has to be implemented in a bunch of places in order for it to work properly. It has to do with Applet handling and such. You all shouldn't be expecting to see 200% speed improvements.

Then again, if you install this update, and then shutdown your computer and then install a CPU upgrade card before you restart, and then reboot... I guess then you would see a modest speed boost.
I certainly don't. I was just wondering whether the applet handling bug fix had any performance side effects, good or bad (hopefully good).

Philoman

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2003
daveL said:
You're not trolling, are you?

No, i just do not have all day to sit in front of macrumors forum, although i read the rumors daily.

I enjoy using a mac and owning mac products. I just want other mac users to see the light sometimes. For apple, it is business first. As long as you understand that every action is up to you.

Since i'm at it, I'm really disappointed at apple for putting out crappy hardware like the Cinema 23 (alum). the LCD they used is below microsoft standards. I returned three of them and waiting until they address the issue.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Philoman said:
No, i just do not have all day to sit in front of macrumors forum, although i read the rumors daily.

I enjoy using a mac and owning mac products. I just want other mac users to see the light sometimes. For apple, it is business first. As long as you understand that every action is up to you.

Since i'm at it, I'm really disappointed at apple for putting out crappy hardware like the Cinema 23 (alum). the LCD they used is below microsoft standards. I returned three of them and waiting until they address the issue.

Microsoft does not manufacture monitors. You'll be waiting for a while. :D

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
iGary said:
Microsoft does not manufacture monitors. You'll be waiting for a while. :D

I do not think that he was referring to Mircrosoft monitors since they obviously do not exist. I think he was referring to the quality of Microsoft products in general and how they are subpar then comparing the quality of Apple's 23 inch monitor to the low quality of Microsoft products.

Philoman

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2003
auxplage said:
I do not think that he was referring to Mircrosoft monitors since they obviously do not exist. I think he was referring to the quality of Microsoft products in general and how they are subpar then comparing the quality of Apple's 23 inch monitor to the low quality of Microsoft products.

Thank you auxplage, for your intelligence. God you could not have said it better.

ElusiveMind

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2005
Nashville, TN
Just a note...

There doesn't seem to "yet" be an update for 10.2.8. I usually update the one 10.2.8 machine I have with the others when these things come out. I'm not getting any updates for 10.2.8. Will this be released for 10.2.8 does anyone know?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Yeah, it doesn't fix that..I rated it negative as a result.

It did change my 14-bounce time for Disc Utility to one bounce though...weird.

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
It did something with Java 1.4.2 because on restart it loaded it for the first time ever, said something about archiving Java. However, I also cannot tell what this update really did? There is no visual difference, pop up windows that it should be blocking are still appearing.

Brian

MaCaDDiCT21

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2004
Chandler, AZ
what's the pop-under thing everyone here is talking about. I haven't noticed anything of the sort. And CNET seems to load just fine on my machine.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My wife has already updated her PowerBook, no problems. Wonder if this update is in preparation fro Mac OS 10.3.9?

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
wdlove said:
My wife has already updated her PowerBook, no problems. Wonder if this update is in preparation fro Mac OS 10.3.9?

Sorry, do not think this has anything to do with an updated OS. Has more to do with a hole in Java that could have been dangerous possibly.

Brian

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
would love a security update to kill these pop-under ad's. don't know if that could be done on the OS level but it is slowly becoming an annoyance. once you get used to no popups, they seem more annoying than ever when they return.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.