See-Through Laptop screen - Will we see this on MBP

Jon-Luke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2009
Cape Town
CES 2010: http://www.wired.com/video/ces-2010-hands-on-with-transparent-display-of-the-future/60826805001
Samsung is developing a see through screen is this some thing we will ever see on Apple products? Personally I don't really like it - I can see the use of something like this in a car (Heads up Display) but why would you want to be able to see through your laptop screen? It just messes with the image quality surely (And if you add a white or black background to what you are doing then what is the point?)

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Amen. Haha

There is really no use for a see through screen.
Unless you want to watch tv through your computer screen while you're typing....

I think that you've overlooked that important application.

EDIT: Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, a see-through screen is a sure way to future-proof your computer.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
There will never be a good reason to utilize this screen. I think the tech with the guts in the border will be used to make displays thinner though.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
Unless you want to watch tv through your computer screen while you're typing....

I think that you've overlooked that important application.

EDIT: Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, a see-through screen is a sure way to future-proof your computer.
I severely doubt that as future-proofing as nothing to do with gimmick hardware.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
this is not a gimmick. it was not meant for a laptop it is meant for other uses. this is used by the military all the time. it is great for a heads up or advertising and such.

TheWelshBoyo

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I severely doubt that as future-proofing as nothing to do with gimmick hardware.
Shambo just got trolled good and proper!
Nice one guys :p
Anyway Shambo, what if it was a 15" screen rather than a 13". Surely that'd mean it'd be futureproofed!

PS. I know the Samsung one is 16.4".

Spandexman

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2009
Advertising in places with glass panels. e.g. metro,train.
Wouldn't it be unbelievably expensive to replace the windows on a train with a see through screen? I mean, they must be about 5 x 3 foot, the cheapset low tech screen would cost hundreds, if not thousands of pounds at that size. Plus, one good punch from a drunk and it'd need replacing (i don't know about american trains, but this'd be a frequent occurrence on a british train!).

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
Car windscreens perhaps? Windshield in the USA?
Yes anything to distract the eye from the road will be a fantastic breakthrough and great for road safety. As stated this is nothing more than gimmick hardware.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
No, it's that there's no real consumer use for it... Can you really think of a use of a transparent screen (excluding Military)?!?!?
Advertising (Shop Windows, Bus/Coach shelters) - HUD style car windscreens - Interactive oven doors for temperature readings etc - Refrigerator door display.

Many inventions/evolutions in the technology space often trickle down to the consumer market.

I'm sure there are many more uses that just need some more imagination.

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
Wouldn't it be unbelievably expensive to replace the windows on a train with a see through screen? I mean, they must be about 5 x 3 foot, the cheapset low tech screen would cost hundreds, if not thousands of pounds at that size. Plus, one good punch from a drunk and it'd need replacing (i don't know about american trains, but this'd be a frequent occurrence on a british train!).
With today's tech and market it is. But who knows what will be available in 5 years from now?

10 years ago I got a pretty average 15" CRT monitor for 400 euros. There are 19inch monitors for 80 euros now.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Yes anything to distract the eye from the road will be a fantastic breakthrough and great for road safety. As stated this is nothing more than gimmick hardware.
Is there a current law in your country that prohibits the use of a cd player or sat nav system in the vehicle? These can be distracting and are often used whilst driving.

Does the USA still allow the use of Cell Phones in a moving Vehicle? :)

Mintin8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2009
United Kingdom
Wrong.

Imagine having all the driving info (speed,revs etc) on your windscreen? Instead of having to look down for a even only a second all you would do it keep looking at your normal viewpoint. I think having that information implanted onto your windscreen would be amazing and samsung were demonstrating that technology on this laptop.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Wrong.

Imagine having all the information on the HUD of your windscreen? Instead of having to look down for a even only a second. I think having that information implanted onto your windscreenwould be amazing and samsung were demonstrating that technology on this laptop.
I like your thinking (I did note you're from the UK too) ;) It's plausible and I like the explanation you gave to looking at the current car instruments.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
Is there a current law in your country that prohibits the use of a cd player or sat nav system in the vehicle? These can be distracting and are often used whilst driving.

Does the USA still allow the use of Cell Phones in a moving Vehicle? :)
These items are not in direct view of the road. Imagine a windscreen where data is interspersed on it your eye would be immediately distracted and often have difficulty discerning whether or not that is a pixel or a person in your view. And yes the police can pull you over for not having a fully clear windscreen. As stated this is nothing more than a stupid gimmick.

Spandexman

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2009
With today's tech and market it is. But who knows what will be available in 5 years from now?

10 years ago I got a pretty average 15" CRT monitor for 400 euros. There are 19inch monitors for 80 euros now.
True, I suppose we can never know the speed at which technology will improve. Though I would have to think that it'd be considerably more than 5 years before it'd be economically viable to put it instead of a window. Though that wasn't really the point, it's still a use. Also, the screen material could feasibly be strengthened hugely in 5 years... I concede defeat, well played sir. Your considerations of future technological applications outstrip mine :)