Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
It's starting get boring seeing everyone use the same face type. Apple not allowing 3rd party watch faces with 2.0 really sucks and the new ones they added just aren't practical in the slightest

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
It's starting get boring seeing everyone use the same face type. Apple not allowing 3rd party watch faces with 2.0 really sucks and the new ones they added just aren't practical in the slightest
I think it's because the complications are larger than the other faces and thus easier to read. Plus it has up to 5 of them, more than most.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I think it's because the complications are larger than the other faces and thus easier to read. Plus it has up to 5 of them, more than most.

That's why I use modular, most useful with max complications but it's the most boring and ugly design. I wish they had more complications in the utility and chronograph

Reactions: batristain

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
That's why I use modular, most useful with max complications but it's the most boring and ugly design. I wish they had more complications in the utility and chronograph
Or at least the ability to change their colors independently. Being tiny and all the same color as the watch numbers makes hem blend in more. Many of the modular complications appear in white and whatever other color you've chosen, creating more contrast and viewability.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Use Simple. You get the same number of complications as Modular. 4 at corners and one (date) in the center.
But not details and I like knowing the numbers for my Activity App.

IMG_0408_zpskjyuldlu.jpg

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
I wonder if there is an association between people who have never worn a watch (or are accustomed to reading a digital clock) using modular versus those who have worn a watch (analog) using one of the analog watch faces?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I use modular for the same reason as above, it gives a lot of info. In my eyes, I want a smartwatch to give me info at a quick glance.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I wonder if there is an association between people who have never worn a watch (or are accustomed to reading a digital clock) using modular versus those who have worn a watch (analog) using one of the analog watch faces?

I wore a watch everyday before this Apple Watch, but the point of a smartwatch is to have that instant information at a glance which is why I always go back to modular after using utility or chrono, even though the latter 2 look much nicer

Reactions: anez

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
I wore a watch everyday before this Apple Watch, but the point of a smartwatch is to have that instant information at a glance which is why I always go back to modular after using utility or chrono, even though the latter 2 look much nicer
Cool, not what I expected. I am the opposite-- I like the analog representation because of the spacial visualization. I can process the time and the meaning of the time faster from an analog view than digital. Though, I like all of the other data, but it is not as available on the analog faces.

It still annoys me that the screen takes so long to wake up. With my old watch, I was already done looking at the time and lowering my arm long before the AW screen first wakes. I imitated my old look-at-the-watch gesture, and my wrist is turning away just as the screen pops. I hope Apple improves the watch's ability to wake and show its face better.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Cool, not what I expected. I am the opposite-- I like the analog representation because of the spacial visualization. I can process the time and the meaning of the time faster from an analog view than digital. Though, I like all of the other data, but it is not as available on the analog faces.

It still annoys me that the screen takes so long to wake up. With my old watch, I was already done looking at the time and lowering my arm long before the AW screen first wakes. I imitated my old look-at-the-watch gesture, and my wrist is turning away just as the screen pops. I hope Apple improves the watch's ability to wake and show its face better.

By Apple Watch 3 or 4, the screen will always be on. I think the responsiveness if pretty great so far with the wrist detection

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
So I wish they would just let dev's create watch faces, but I am wondering if their concern is IP rights - Pebble gets a lot of watch faces, but there are a ton that violate copyrights, but nobody cares because they are a small company with a small user base.

At the very least, they should add reorganizing to the modular face.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
By Apple Watch 3 or 4, the screen will always be on. I think the responsiveness if pretty great so far with the wrist detection
I agree, it should. The Garmin vívoactive and fēnix 3, a couple of my reference-standard activity tracking smart watch devices, have 3 to 6 week battery lives with screens always on. Apple should be able to get to an always-on screen with a one day battery life. Then, we won't have to wait 1 - 2 seconds for the AW screen to wake up.

anez

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011

I use modular for the same reason as above, it gives a lot of info. In my eyes, I want a smartwatch to give me info at a quick glance.

I was a big-time regular/analog watch enthusiast for years, but being able to see things like weather and my activity stats in less than two seconds is part of why the Watch has more or less replaced my analog watches completely. IMO, a smartwatch has to do more than a traditional watch to justify purchasing one when it has drawbacks (in terms of obsolescence and design) a standard watch does not.

I'd like to see simpler faces become available, since I'm all for consumer choice, but personally I would not use them, as they would offer nothing of value to me.

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
I agree, it should. The Garmin vívoactive and fēnix 3, a couple of my reference-standard activity tracking smart watch devices, have 3 to 6 week battery lives with screens always on. Apple should be able to get to an always-on screen with a one day battery life. Then, we won't have to wait 1 - 2 seconds for the AW screen to wake up.

Not sure how you guys use your watch, but the instant I raise my wrist the screen is on. I'm not waiting even 1 second.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012

It's definitely less then a second before the screen turns on

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
If you turn your wrist slowly, it can seem instantaneous. If you turn your wrist quickly, it seems slow to wake. It is about a second with a quick turn of the wrist.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
My wife started with Modular and I gave her a hard time. I have been an analog watch fan so I used the analog like faces. Well, Modular has become my day-to-day face. It offers 5 large complications. Not as nice to look at but not awful, just digital.

I want to like Utility more but the large complication at the bottom limits me to 4. I like Simple but you can't put the day with the date on the face. There are others that look nice like Solar but I want more than just the time. So, Modular it is for now.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wait, where is this "majority of people" data coming from?

MR members have never represented the majority of Apple users, and the few MR members that have posted photos of their Apple watches don't even represent a majority of members of MR who own the watch.

The majority of Apple watch owners in my house (me) use an analog dial.

Reactions: Night Spring

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
What do you mean by "seeing everyone use the same face"? Are you looking at Apple watches as you walk down the street? Do you mean here, which is far from "everyone"? I use the face I want regardless of what anyone else uses. After all, I'm me, not them. Don't really get your point. And I don't get bored by thinking about watch faces. I actually don't really think about them. I just use them.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

Yep. I used the Astronomy one until I saw what Modular could do. Now I can get my calendar events -- assuming I set them up -- on my watch screen. I really hope for more options since the time could be made smaller and other complications could get fit in if you're creative. Imagine something like a stock ticker at the bottom with fairly small text. Sports scores from ESPN would be killer there.

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
In my opinion there are not enough digital-time face options. I prefer to read the time in digital format. So I am stuck with modular :(
No 3rd party faces makes me sad.

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I use Simple but sometimes switch to X-Large if I'm in a rush for the train.

I don't ever seem to have to wait for the screen to wake when I look at my watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.