Sell iPad 2, buy Samsung Galaxy Note ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by db123, Dec 18, 2011.

1. db123 macrumors member

Do you think it's a good idea to buy Galaxy note after selling my iPad 2. I can't keep both. I like galaxy note because it's phone cum tablet and having higher resolution than iPad 2. What do you guys suggest? Thanks!

2. Kebabselector, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

If a phone and higher res screen are important then go for it.

3. lsquare macrumors 6502

I was planning to go with that idea, but I'm not convinced that Android 2.3 or the future 4.0 upgrade will make the Note a better alternative to an iPad 2.

4. wx4olf macrumors regular

wx4olf

Since I picked up a MacBook Air last month I have been toying around with the same idea: sell my iPad2 and pick up a galaxy note. I really like the idea of combining my tablet and phone into one device. However, I have not been able to convince myself to pull the trigger either. While the screen size on the Note is awesome I'm not sure how pocketable it would be for everyday use plus the iPad is just so good at casual web surfing and reading that I am not sure that the smaller Note could take it's place.

5. aleni macrumors 68020

i tried the demo on the samsung store here. boy, it doesn't feel as smooth as the iPad 2. especially browsing.

i love the portability of it though, it's like a smaller tablet, and it's so light and thin.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Tried out the note, not very impressed by it. For one, its size means you will have problems holding it when trying to make a call. It's really like neither here nor there.

I now understand what they meant when they say that android lags. For all its specs, I find there is still a noticeable slowdown/slugishness when trying to swipe between screens, scroll or open programs. Perhaps not that vital in the overall picture, but a turnoff for me, who has been spoiled by the smoothness of IOS. :p

7. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Android will never feel as smooth as iOS. Google's entire business model precludes it.

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

They're not in the same niche. The iPad 2 is a laptop replacement. It has the feel of a laptop but stripped down. There is very little sacrifice with web use, document viewing, etc.

Anything smaller, such as the Galaxy note, is a step backward. Web browsing, document viewing are going to feel cramped.

But they are very nice no doubt, and being an owner of both, I can say the Note does a good job but does not replace the iPad. The iPad is just more comfortable navigating.

In other words: Your nuts if you sell your iPad :D

9. macintoshi macrumors 6502

macintoshi

Seriously, a laptop replacement?Dont let me crylaugh now! I have an iPad 2 and its nowere my MacBook Pro! Its simply not same. iPad 2 would be a replacement, if it would be not iOS but fully OSX LION with all features, that are on macbook pro too, plus a sd cardslot and bluetooth file transfer ability between different devices and manufacturers, and the ability to be able also to program on it like c++, java and other languages and also to use photoshop fully! Then we can talk about replacement.

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

"Crylaugh" ? that's great!, never heard that before. I guess i'm out of touch. I'll make a note to come here more often.

Anyway, the comparison was between 'an iPad and a Galaxy note', not between a laptop and an iPad, even though I used the analogy. Sorry for any confusion.

11. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Utter rubbish. I have an iPad2 and can tell you that in no way does it replace my MBA or my MBP. You simply do not know what you are talking about.

12. Meanee macrumors 6502a

If all you do on your laptop is browse web, play a game or 2, check Facebook, then yes, it's a laptop replacement. For you.

If you need to do actual work, nope. I was in training last week, and had to take extensive notes. ipad was horrible. I brought in my laptop with OneNote and was good to go.

13. yegon macrumors 68020

I have a Galaxy Note and an iPad 2.

The Note in no way replaces an iPad - it's awesome as a carry anywhere device, great for browsing, I do ALL my ebook reading on it's frankly awesome screen and it works perfectly fine as a phone. Sure it's big, but I've got big hands and it fits fine in my pocket - the only criteria that really matters to me re: size. It'll only get better with Ice Cream Sandwich. Bought it mainly cos I was a bit bored with my iPhone 4 (which I still own, relegated to gym ipod duty currently) and was personally unimpressed by the 4S.

However, for extended periods the Note is still just a 5" (5.3) device so cannot compare to browsing and video on a 9.7"/laptop screen, even if the screen res/ppi is a downgrade on the iPad.

Plus, I still massively prefer iOS to Android, and if/when Apple increase the size of the iPhone I'll probably go back to having an iPhone. Problem is, the next iPhone will have to be 4.5" for me to be interested, and I'd be very surprised if it goes much beyond 4"....

14. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, it all depends on your needs. Some small notes:

- Perhaps it's better to wait until the iPad 3 is announced (that way, you can decide whether to buy an iPad 3 or Galaxy Note)
    - Please note that the Galaxy Note has an AMOLED pentile display (so not the full RGB lay-out). Samsung is expected to announce the Galaxy Note's successor in 2012 which will in all likelihood will have the Super AMOLED Plus (2?) display (that's with the full RGB layout).

15. yegon macrumors 68020

Sound advice, but I feel inclined to say that the pentile display on the Note is extremely good, nothing like the frankly awful implementations of it seen on past phones. I believe the insane res eradicates most of it's perceived problems.

16. Akack macrumors 6502a

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If the resolution is all that matters then go for it. If you have other concerns then you need to share them as we're not psychic. This is a subjective matter and we only know what you tell us for making recommendations.

How exactly? What does their business model have to do with it? Advertising is their main source of revenue. I don't see why that would preclude hardware acceleration in Android. Seems like it would help it,. actually.

18. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I am not saying the display is bad. It's just that Super AMOLED displays with the full RGB lay-out have proven to be so much better. Personally, I would be disappointed if I would buy a Galaxy Note now with the pentile display, only to find out that in a short period of time an upgraded Galaxy Note would be released with a much better display (and better specs).

19. mac jones macrumors 68040

Right, I have both and that's my take. As a matter of fact, the note has made me appreciate the iPad more. Reason for this is that like the OP, I was wondering if the Note would actually be able to take over the tasks that I was using the iPad for. Not so.

----------

Uh, I would try reading the posts before I posted caustic remarks. ;)

20. yegon, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

yegon macrumors 68020

Oh it's okay, didn't think you were saying it was bad :). It's just pentile (justifiably previously) screens get a bad rap on the basis of old pentile matrix screens. The pentile screen on the Note, though, shows none of the awful issues some of the older pentile screens had - one of my mates had a HTC one, forget the model, but it was an eyesore. Greenish screen with noticeably blurry pixels. The Note suffers from none of this, extreme close ups are essentially comparable with an iPhone 4, but on a bigger screen with the better colour reproduction that Super Amoled offers.

As for waiting for better, that's Android's main curse/strength - there will ALWAYS be a better model 3 months down the line, especially with CES close. Got the Note at launch, completely satisfied with it as it's currently top (or close to top) of the line spec wise so will be more than capable for ages, certainly until the iPhone 5 arrives. Lack of LTE is a non-issue for me, couple of years away here in the UK. Besides...I...could...not...resist..that...screen..size/res....drool.

Plays 4gb 1080p mkv's flawlessly if that's any guide of what it's capable of.

Just wish it ran iOS ;). C'mon Apple, go BIG next time!!!

21. wx4olf macrumors regular

wx4olf

You have perfectly described why I want a Note (highly portable mini-tablet ebook reading phone) and what has kept from picking one up (really like iOS). Based on what I am reading here maybe I will pick one up. Worse case, I'll jump in line for the iPad3 when it comes out in the spring.

22. db123 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you All

You guys really rock - I got my answer!!!

23. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

If you can put up with Android and not knowing if you'll ever be able to upgrade, go for it. I'll keep my iPad. It's just a much much piece of tech.

24. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Well if you dont need a phone you can always get a samsung galaxy player 5.0.Its loads of fun and you get ansd card slot and android ability to chang out things like music players etc.Best thing is the low cost and great 5.0 screen

25. matt90036 macrumors regular

good luck with substandard quality of a apps found in android store. I suggest you wait for 7.85" iPod Touch rather than buying Galaxy Note.