Sell iPad 3rd gen with retina and get mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MagicThief83, Oct 23, 2012.

1. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

2. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Total downgrade unless you require a smaller device. But one would ask why you picked a 9" tablet over a smaller Kindle or Playbook?

3. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Depends. Do you want a 7.9-inch screen.

Bear in mind that the iPad mini is more like an upgraded iPad 2.

4. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

Not unless you want to downgrade significantly!

5. MagicThief83 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just entertaining the thought, not saying I will do it. Kindle or Playbook...I just threw up! I prefer Apple products and the iPad 3 was my first tablet, iPad device. I just find the iPad mini really...really alluring.

6. marty1990 macrumors 6502

I was thinking this, since it seems that the iPad 3 was merely an incremental update to the iPad 2. I mean, won't the iPad 3 and iPad Mini be pretty on par spec wise, since it doesn't need the improved CPU to drive the Retina display? Therefore, it should technically be able to run the same apps? Or am I looking at this wrong?

Either way, I'm not sure if am considering one, lol. I like the fact I could migrate all my apps to a smaller, more portable device, but at the same time, I like the bigger screen for when doing graphics. Combining them would be great, but I can't afford that.

OH THE DILEMMAS I SUFFER.

7. hkfan24 macrumors regular

I don't get all threads asking others what they should do. In the end, it's all about how much you want to spend, how much you need, what you intend to do with it, and will it fulfill all that you need to get out if it.

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I'll be selling my iPad 3 for the mini. The fact that it is that thin and light is an upgrade for me over the last generation processor and smaller resolution. Seriously, 0.68 lb is going to feel amazing.

And as I've mentioned in previous posts, the lack of retina display doesn't bother me too much anymore since it will be an upgrade over the iPad 2 display quality.

Edit: Oh and I also forgot, I value space greatly so the fact that it also comes with 64GB seals the deal for me.

9. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Ipad mini is a cheap entry product though. The 9" ipad will always have better specs. Bit like Ipod touch > Iphone.

10. MagicThief83 thread starter macrumors 6502

This...lightweight and highly portable...current iPad feels a bit...clunky.

11. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

12. gadget123 macrumors 68000

If it's size then downgrade yes.

But if you are expecting all the features of the Ipad 3 then it won't have them all. Retina for one..

13. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Wrong symbol. You meant <

14. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Not "retina" but better display quality than the iPad 2, fitting somewhere comfortably between iPad 2 and the iPad 3/4.

15. nfl46 macrumors 603

I considered it until the 16GB iPad 3 was dropped to $379. I'll lose way too much money if I sold my iPad 3 now, especially on eBay.

16. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

I considered this too... because the mini looks just so damn cool, is light and very portable, plus matches the iPhone 5 looks wise. I love all that.

But, the more I think about it, I just can't downgrade. I lve the retina display too much on my iPad 3 and still appreciate it every day. I read a lot of books and magazines, too. So, I think I am gonna go with the iPad 4. Stay at the top of the line. Luckily for me I did a Gazelle offer for my iPad yesterday JUST IN CASE and got a $500 offer which right now is down to $350. PHEW!

17. nerdybooboo macrumors member

nerdybooboo

7"9 and 9" is only one inch difference?

now does retina display offer significant difference in viewing pleasure?

18. MagicThief83 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm gonna wait until the minis are in store, and then I'll decide from there whether I'll keep my current iPad 3 or not. The iPad mini may not be retina but it does have a higher pixel density than the iPad 2 and it's not like you'll be holding the thing to your face. It's just so sexy and sleek looking...especially the black one.

19. MagicThief83 thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, I really don't care for retina...does that make me evil?

20. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I honestly did not notice any performance gains on the ipad 3 vs the ipad 2. As a matter of fact, still own the ipad 2, my wife uses it everyday for work and reading her books at night. The processor upgrade is most certainly for the retina screen and I think decreases in performance a bit because it has to push all those pixels. I am on the fence on whether I get rid of my ipad 3 right now but only because I have truly been able to replace my laptop on short trips with the ipad. I need to see if the mini could function in the same capacity. I think it will just fine as I have traveled with my Nexus 7 a few times without issues. If I find screen wise it could be fully functional then I will most certainly sell my 3 and see what 5 brings....

21. mellofello macrumors 65816

Not sure until I see one, but I think I will be selling my 3. I use my ipad for work, so it is in my bag day in day out, and at times it does feel cumbersome. It is too large to subtly whip out. Smaller would be better.

I personally am pretty underwhelmed by the retina display. If I go out and search for content that is retina it really pops, but day to day it is not that big a deal.

2012 gadget bag

32 Gb black iphone 5

32 Gb black ipad mini AT&T LTE

Base 13 inch retina Mac book Pro Black matte skin

I really think that the smaller tablet fits nicely in between the phone and laptop. Plus I can splurge on LTE, and 32 GB and only come out $30 more then the 16 GB full size ipad 4.

22. thelead macrumors 6502

No but it makes you blind :D JK

23. eldridchapman macrumors newbie

It's considered a downgrade because you are technically going back to ipad 2 hardware

24. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I guess now that I have the Air I should, TBH I never liked the size of the iPad.

I'm sure I can easily get $650+ for my 32GB LTE.

25. as0016 macrumors regular

If you're banking on that much - might want to reconsider. You can buy a brand new LTE iPad 3 from apple (refurbished, but still has new ipad warranty) for 599.