selling sealed 6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xRYD3Rx, Sep 21, 2015.

1. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

Ordered an extra 6S to sell on eBay bought it with a 2 year contract that will come with a sim card installed.
    Will there be an issue if I ship it out sealed with the sim in it?
    Or do I need to let verizon know to de attach my account/line off the sim thats in the phone.

2. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I have to sell 4 myself LULZ

3. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I'm wondering the same thing since I am considering selling one of the two I ordered. I believe, based on past experience, that you have to have certain account info, aka last 4 of social, billing password, etc. to activate the SIM card that ships with the iPhone. So I'm fairly certain that you can just ship it sealed and the buyer won't be able to do anything to your phone number/account. They would just insert their own SIM card and activate it that way.

But I'm not 100% on this, I do have Verizon and I believe that's correct but I'm not positive.

4. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I remember when I received my 6 Plus.. it was all pre-installed. All I had to do was go thru my sign in process with iTunes and the phone was good to go. i.e. The sim card that came with the phone was already activated and working when I went to the Apple Store to pick it up. To verify this, my 5s was deactivated on the way home because the service was already transferred to the plus.

EDIT: this is for ATT iphone bout at the apple store.

I didn't take any chances, I bought a contract free tmobile iphone to sell. lol

5. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Yeah see I believe the difference is that you picked it up from the Apple Store, so they knew it was you who was picking it up. When they ship the phones (that can potentially be stolen) I believe they have added security, directing you to fill out account info to verify you are the person who ordered the phone. Without that info, I believe you're unable to activate the phone at all with that SIM card inserted. If you insert another SIM, I believe you are directed to enter that specific account's info. The idea in all this being that if someone stole your phone and threw their SIM into it, it'd be very easy to identify who stole the phone. Otherwise they just have a bricked phone unable to be activated.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I am pretty sure that if they use the SIM in the phone the phone will deactivate the SIM in your phone and activate your service on the new phone. I would remove the SIM card

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The sim shouldn't matter. The activation process is through your account. The sun is just a "blank" that hasn't been associated with a line of service yet at that point. The buyer should have no way of activating that sim with your line of service because they shouldn't have any of the information for the account.

8. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

The phone has to be activated on the associated account for the first sign in on a contract iPhone... on AT&T. Not sure about Verizon and Sprint. There is no other way. You HAVE TO open the package to do it.

9. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The sim card is not activated. You are free to sell with no issues. Simply inform the seller that the phone is not activated and simply remove the pre-installed sim card and place his/her own.

10. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

A sim card regardless of any carrier is not activated until the phone is turned on and activated. You do NOT have open. Simply remove, throw away the pre-installed sim and insert your current sim and the iPhone will be activated on your account with you sim card, complete hassle free.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I have ordered a iPhone from AT&T using my subsidy and when I removed it from the box and turned it on my existing phone said NO SIM and the new phone had my service on it. I know this as a fact.

I am not sure if this applies here but I would not take any chances.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Really? News to me. We have done the same and had a different experience. I had to use the sim in my old phone. If this is the case I apologize for giving the wrong information
    Doesn't make much sense to do it this way since anyone who intercepts the package could just start using your phone number and deactivate your old device without any need of authorization, but what do I know?

13. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

No problem, I am not saying one is right or wrong, just saying what happened to me when I bought a phone under contract from AT&T.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This has been my understanding an experience as well. Apparently. It always the case?

15. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Yes, Buying online and having the phone shipped to you gives you the option to activate the phone at your leisure. For iPhones since iOS 5 (PC/Mac free) we have been able to active iPhone's through the setup process when it says waiting for activation. For phones other then iPhones, it required to call from current phone in order to activate new phone. Simply selling the iPhone 6S Friday in the seal and having the buyer remove the sim BEFORE turning the iPhone one and replacing it with his, will activate the iPhone with his sim card not interfering with xRYD3Rx's Verizon account.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Unfortunately there is one forum member who states all he/she had to do was turn the phone on and it was active, along with the sim and everything. This has not been my understanding and, frankly, going about it that way seems downright foolish from a customer service standpoint, but I honestly cannot say. I have always had to either manually activate the sim by calling in or entering information online or simply swap SIM cards from the elections device I was using. I was even able to use that sim I pulled from the device I just bought and activate it for a completely different line of service since it showed up in ATT's system as never having been activated.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I did find this. I assume it will still apply to the newer phones.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/iphone-6-activation/

Based on that you are not required to do anything via Verizon. As long as you have a wifi connection the new sim seems to get activated through Apple's servers. So the above poster was absolutely right. I can see why they would do this in terms of ease of use, but this also means anyone can grab my phone off the doorstep and activate service (and deactivate my old sim). Scratching my head here.

18. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Exactly. When restoring an iPhone, your greeted with the welcome page, and then ask to activate iPhone. Same for when activating for first time.

19. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Yup. That has the set up screen Apple implemented back in iOS 5 when they announced PC/Mac Free. Activating/Setting up your products without the need for a computer. The same setup screens are applied to new/restored Macs, iPads, iPod Touch with the exception of sim activation.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The concern of the OP would obviously be whether the buyer could just activate the phone and all of the sudden have a sim activated in the seller's (OP's) service, this deactivating the OP's old sim. The answer to that seems to be "yes". So if the soap wants to sell the phone as sealed he must request the buyer remove the SIM card prior to activation, it would seem.

21. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Correct. I comes down to morals, ethics and values. The seller can instruct the buyer to remove the sim and place his own. The buyer has moral/ethical choice to remove the sim, throw it out and place his or choose the unethical act and activate using the buyers sim causing tornado is issues. If the fear is too much for xRYD3Rx, then he/she can remove the plastic, remove the sim card and sell as unsealed iPhone 6S and explain the reasoning on Ebay.

22. noobinator macrumors 601

So the consensus is that who ever buys the phone has to take out the supplied sim and put in their own otherwise the sellers other phone will go dead and the buyer will have a new phone that the seller is paying service on? And this will continue until the sell calls their carrier to activate their old sim again?

This doesn't sound right.

23. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The phone won't go dead, but all of a sudden the sellers phone will display no service for no reason. "And this will continue until the seller calls their carrier to activate their old sim again?" No. The Seller won't have to call to activate again. The seller would have to call Verizon to terminate the number and contract rendering the buyers phone a paperweight. "the buyer will have a new phone that the seller is paying service on?" Yes until contract terminated.

24. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

My iPhone 5s was delivered and it was plug-and-play as well

25. xRYD3Rx thread starter macrumors 6502

Opening the seal to take out sim is not an option as listing is no returns if box is opened.
    But logically there has to be an security verification added when trying to activate a phone with someone else's sim card in it what if someone steals the phone and activates the phone under someone else's account and starts making international calls bill will come $$$$$$$ lol