Sep 30th: What happens to the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by laela, Aug 23, 2010.

1. laela macrumors regular

laela

I've returned 2 iPhone 4s so far:

1: I had death grip issue and thought exchanging for new one would have the problem solved. Didn't. :mad:

2: Pictures taken indoors were all yellowish with main camera though not with secondary camera. Proximity sensor issues. Minor scratch on glass out of box. :eek:

I'm now currently without an iPhone 4 and waiting for a better "batch" before I buy as well as jailbreak/unlock for 4.1 to be available. :D

My question is -- does anyone have an inkling on when is the best time to order an iPhone 4? What's going to happen after Apple's 30th September deadline? I'm guessing I need to start ordering by 15 September.

Steve Jobs announced that free bumper/case program will end after 30th September, so I expect something will be different with the iPhone after this? Maybe this will be the version of iPhone 4 that doesn't suck? :confused:

2. laela thread starter macrumors regular

laela

What changes after September 30th?

For the record, I loved the iPhone 4 except for the flaws, which I considered unacceptable in a $655 phone.

3. db67fm macrumors regular

db67fm

I think most people agree that:

- Apple is not going to change anything about the iPhone 4 until next June when the next iPhone comes out.

- Apple had to place an end date to the free case program or else people would feel that it could run forever. I think they feel that by Sep 30th people have had enough time to decide wether they want to buy the iPhone 4 and deal with the "death grip" or get a different phone (regardless of case).

So, if you think the "batches" made in October will be any better than a iPhone 4 delivered on June 24th, you are a fool.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...maybe by then they will have ramped up production so that the newly shipped items include a "free" bumper in the box?...

5. laela thread starter macrumors regular

laela

Unlikely. They will either extend the program or something will change, like J&JPolangin mentioned.

6. laela thread starter macrumors regular

laela

Just because you lucked out and got a phone that doesn't have death grip problem, proximity sensor issue and/or white-balance camera issues doesn't mean that everyone else did as well.

7. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

I didn't know that there was a version that sucked? Love my phone and I have none of these problems you are talking about. Ever thought it could be you and not the phone?

8. shandyman Suspended

your luck really sucks, i got my iphone 3 weeks ago, no death grip issue at all. infact 20 people i know personally that have the iphone 4 don't have the issue. i'm not saying its not an issue, just saying your luck sucks in that each one you got had the problem.

9. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Batches? Is apple going to change from baking chocolate chip to peanut butter after the 30th? This will be interesting. Maybe they will start their "batch" of sandtarts just in time for the holidays? :confused:

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Batches? Batches? We don't need no stinkin' batches!

September 30th only marks one thing for certain. People will stop expecting the iPhone 4 to change.

Beyond that - it's all speculation whether a bumper will come with the phone, the free case program will continue - or simply -- those that buy the iPhone, already aware of the press surrounding the "issue" will just be out of luck and won't get anything.

PS - if you're ignorant of anything (OP) - it's the lack of the ability to search. This subject has been posted SEVERAL times. And by SEVERAL - I mean a LOT.

11. JReinn macrumors member

If they will release a new version of the iPhone 4 (maybe with the old design), which I don't think they will, there'll be mass threads spamming macrumors: "Do I want the original design of the iPhone 4, or no antenna issue?" :rolleyes:

12. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Sept 29, 2010 - iPhone is selling like hotcakes. Apple is still accepting orders for free cases.

Sept 30, 2010 - Apple's Fiscal Year End. iPhone still selling like hotcakes. Apple still accepting free case orders, and evaluating if program should continue.

Oct. 1, 2010 - Same iPhone 4 design being sold . . . Case program may or may not be extended for another quarter.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Now is as good a time as any.

It's the end of the current fiscal quarter for Apple, and a new quarter begins. At best, you can expect bumpers to get bundled with iPhone 4s on purchase, and Apple will have ramped up bumper manufacture to match iPhone 4 production runs, ending the free case program. Or, they won't and will extend the program another 1-3 months.

No, you shouldn't expect anything of the sort.

The only thing significant about September 30 is that it's the end of an accounting period for Apple, during which time they've allotted a certain amount of cash for the free bumper/case program. At that point, they need to decide whether they need to allocate more cash for the same program, or whether they're in a position now where enough bumpers are being made and they can just bundle those with iPhones. It doesn't mean anything else.

The ONLY reason they chose September 30 is because it's a way of keeping their accounting books tidy.

If you think it sucks, buy something else. You aren't going to gain anything by waiting until September 30.

14. huskerchad macrumors regular

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

They're going to self-destruct on Sept 30th.

16. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

iPhone 4 (v.2) will start making it's way into the shipping funnels. As more of these come out, the "my phone's reception sucks cuz of the faulty antennae" rants will disappear as those who do suffer from this phenomenon will be blanketed by a wave of new Iphone 4 users who will have no idea what these people are complaining about since their phones work Bee-utifully :confused:

17. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Sep 30th

Nothing happens to iPhone.

They'll probably just put a bumper in each iphone box.

iPhone 5 will be out summer '11.

18. err404 macrumors 68020

The coverage of the antenna 'issue' was ridiculous.
    I have an iPhone 4 and my wife uses a 3GS. We were killing some time the other day while we were out, but her phone had no signal. I fired up MyWi and shared my data connection with her 3GS over WiFi.
    The iPhone 4 has a great antenna. Yes, it can drop below the 3GS under some circumstances, but I'll except that since most of the time it's better.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

More ridiculous than the coverage of the antenna issue was Apple's response. They have had the worst PR the past few months than they probably have ever had before.

You can blame the media all you want - but Apple fueled the fire on several occasions.

20. dagomike macrumors 65816

They just gave a cut off date for the free case program. They didn't say anything would happen, but my guess it will be:

Apple will extend it.

Apple will start including a cheap silicone case in the box

Apple will present a bunch of ridiculous statistics to convince everyone you're crazy and if you want a case to go buy one.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Or nothing. They'll just stop the free case program and not say a word. Most of the "issue" is that people pre-ordered and ordered the iPhone without any "Knowledge" of any issue. Apple is "appeasing" them with the offer.

But they can argue that at this stage - people can do their own homework and decide if the iPhone is for them. And if they want one - they know they need a case and will have to buy one. And if they don't want one - they don't have to buy one.

22. dseig001 macrumors member

Actually, I did.

Just because there is a minority of people having trouble with the phone does not make it a bad phone. All devices have issues. Most iPhone 4 owners are happy. The subset of people on MacRumors are subject to a huge selection bias, giving ignorant people the idea that the phone has a ton of signal quality issues.

Now, go to the corner. You need a time out.

23. dagomike macrumors 65816

Maybe, but I think they'll need to issue a statement. Jobs said they would reexamine the issue in September to decide how to best go forward.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

If their PR machine is still working the same way it has been the past few months - either expect no statement - or a blunt/simple statement "Apple is terminating its Free Case Program as of October 1st, 2010. Customers who have purchased the iPhone prior to September 30th who have not ordered their free case by that date will not be eligible. Customers who purchase the iPhone as of October 1st are also not eligible. Apple bumpers and 3rd party cases are available online or at local Apple Stores. As always, there is a 14 day return policy on iPhones."

25. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Death grip issues don't manifest if you have a "bad phone". They manifest if you are in an area of less than ideal signal strength. With my iPhone 4, I was able to do the Death Grip, and drop from 4 bars to 1 bar in my home. But when I was at work, the Death Grip had no affect whatsoever on the bars. It was a full five, and stayed a full five.

I do agree though that the camera didn't thrill me. I felt like any dominant color in a frame would make the whole photo tinted in that shade. Too much pink in the photo, and the whole picture would have a red tint. Too much blue in the picture, and the picture had a blue tint. Also, pictures were much grainier than I expected them to be.

But you're not going to see a re-designed phone. Most folks are happy with their iP4, and they are still flying off the shelves. And despite my gripes about the camera, I still loved the phone. I returned mine, but it had nothing to do with the phone's performance. I think the iPhone 4 is an amazing piece of technology.