Series 2 + GPS + 3rd party apps?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by chalmers4three, Sep 13, 2016.

1. chalmers4three macrumors member

so I prefer Runkeeper when I'm running instead of the stock activity app. My question is if I get series 2 with GPS can I run without my phone and use Runkeeper? I know that might be up to Runkeeper to develop but is it even possible for 3rd party developers to create stand alone apps that access the GPS without it being bluetoothed to the phone?

2. scottisloud macrumors newbie

scottisloud

I strongly suspect that this will depend on RunKeeper taking advantage of the GPS api made available by Apple. I imagine this will be something RunKeeper does.

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

4. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Runkeeper has Apple Watch app so yes, you can run with them. The data will also be added to your achievement.

5. Bob190 macrumors 6502

The existing apps for Runkeeper, Runtastic, Strava, iSmoothRun, etc. will have to be updated to take advantage of the integrated GPS in the Series 2 watch. What is available now will still require you to run with your phone. I emailed a few of them to ask about when an update utilizing the Series 2 integrated GPS would be available, and didn't really get much of a response beyond its in their future plans .. based on that, I wouldn't look for it soon.

As far as Nike Run Club goes .. I don't know whether the existing app will support the integrated GPS or not on Friday, Sept. 16. My guess is that it won't and that is why the Nike version of the Apple Watch won't be available until the end of October. The only app we know of that will definitely support it is the Apple Workout app.

6. chalmers4three thread starter macrumors member

Great info, thanks!! Hope they get on it sooner than later

7. Bob190 macrumors 6502

I see Runkeeper and MapMyRun have updated their watch apps today .. but unfortunately no mention of using the Series 2 GPS. It's a bit irritating that Apple doesn't work with some of the bigger players (Strava, Runkeeper, etc.) to ensure that apps are available from day one of the watches release that work with the biggest advertised feature of the hardware .. in this case GPS. I am guessing they need a pre-release version of the hardware for testing, and Apple doesn't provide that for them and they have to go out and buy one like everyone else .. except Nike that is.

8. Metz77 macrumors newbie

Runkeeper have already announced they working on a standalone version for Aws2.

This taken from their blog - "And keep an eye out for even better (GPS-powered!) Runkeeper Apple Watch app over the next couple weeks….we’re already hard at work!"

I would say only a few weeks before we see the update :))

9. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Good news. Now how about Strava? :D

10. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Will there be any 3rd-party apps that will support the Series 2 integrated GPS as of launch day, Sept. 16?

It doesn't appear that any of the popular running apps will (Strava, iSmoothrun, Runmeter, Runtastic, Runkeeper).

I really don't understand why Apple doesn't work with the developers at these companies to ensure that versions of their apps will work with the Series 2 watch when it hits the shelves. You would think it would be in the best interest of both parties.

I don't mind using the native Workout app .. the only issue is that I keep all of my training data (runs, rides and swims) on Strava and there really isn't a way I know of yet to get all of the training data, including map data to Strava from Health. I use RunGap whenever I run with just the AW to get the data to Strava .. it works for everything but the map data now.

11. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Runkeeper will have a compatible app in a few weeks. This is why I tend to use as less third party app as possible.

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have kind of wondered if this isn't part of the reason that the Nike watches aren't releasing immediately. Agree that it seems crazy that they aren't working closer with developers to have this ready to go on day 1 because with these updates they've basically admitted that the main reason people buy these watches is for fitness.

13. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Even crazier is the the fact that they don't have a way built into the Activity app on the phone to get your workout data to sites like Strava, Training Peaks, etc. If they want the app to fitness focused, surely they must realize that most runners, cyclist, etc. use these sites to share their data.

Since all of these sites accept a common format (.TCX), it wouldn't be difficult to implement.

14. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

There were only a handful of fitness apps at the original launch of the AW, and Apple and the developers had many months from announcement to launch. Then, with the wOS update that allowed native apps deeper access to the sensors, it took a month or two before the major fitness apps updated. So, I would not expect much tomorrow. Probably mid-October at the earliest before they start trickling out.

15. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Seems like they have had plenty of time already since the WatchOS 3 beta was available in June??

I don't know if Apple provided selected developers with a pre-release version of the Series 2 watch, but you would think that it wouldn't be necessary for development given the simulator is available in Xcode.

16. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Apple can only allow a select few Apple employees access to upcoming hardware. Remember all it takes is one person 1 second to post on the internet. So Apple is not about to send out :apple:Watch Series 2 to other companies. Some may have got one with the NDAs but that would only be a couple of days ago. So it will take a little time.

17. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Agreed. I get that.

But let's take Strava for instance. It is estimated they have 8.2 million users. You would think with that kind of user base, Apple would have ensured that they (Strava) would have an app ready to go on the 16th, and have helped with the effort to develop one. Strava would seem to be a perfect fit for the Series 2 watch. Things like real-time Strava segments on your wrist without having to carry your phone around would be a big selling point to potential Strava users and Apple Watch buyers.

It seems it took months for Strava to release a WatchOS 2 app after it was released last September.

18. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Apple has a very integral long term relationship with Nike (board members, intellectual property, licensing, employees, etc.). So Nike would be first and if Nike doesn't get it then Strava won't either.

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yeah, Strava is still small compared to Apple and Nike. And their userbase tends towards the most serious athletes who are least likely to be interested in the AW right now. The Nike pairing is perfect for both parties.

20. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It is an interesting product co-branding and positioning strategy to follow. Two years ago, the halo was the gold Edition. And soon after, they brought the Hermès out. This year, the featured co-branding is with Nike. Nike has one of the strongest brand in sports, but it is almost a no-show in endurance electronics. Heck, the Nike.com store sells Garmin watches. Nike also has watches co-branded by TomTom.

So, the Apple-Nike partnership looks like it is targeting the social, occasional endurance athletes. I bet the companies have profiles on the walls of the good looking, brand-conscious consumer who wants to be seen as an athlete by his or her peers. This runner may run a 10K at the longest, but probably is a 30-minute 5K runner. He or she runs mostly with others, probably in groups of four or more. They compare their running fashion. There are tens of millions of people like this. (OK, enough of my sarcastic, insulting rant.)

Strava is very popular among athletes who exercise at least four times/week and have a number of friends doing the same. They link to one another and are frequently giving one another kudos and comments. They may also follow regional- or pro-level athletes just to get a sense of how hard those people workout and what might be possible if they stepped up their workout games. There are only millions of people like these. Very different target markets.

21. Bob190 macrumors 6502

I think you are exactly right. However, I think a good working partnership between Apple and Strava would benefit both. As someone who as completed over 20 triathlons (Sprint to Olympic distance) and a few half marathons I am probably not in the AW target audience, however the AW is very appealing to me. I like that I can have one gadget that gives me workout data, including HR, music, and then the other smartwatch functions the rest of the day. Since i am mainly someone who likes to race shorter distances, I never have an issue with battery life as all of my runs are less than 2 hours, and rides less than 4 hours. And honestly, I don't see the AW replacing my Garmin Forerunner 520 for bike rides, but I start a workout on the watch anyway just to have a full-day representation of my activity.

I think Strava will come out with a version that utilizes the Series 2 GPS, but I think it is going to take a while as I don't think they get much assistance (if any) from Apple. I was a beta tester for the WatchOS 2 Strava app, and I got the impression that the developers were frustrated at times with what they had to work with. But I think that was common among developers who were building apps for the Apple Watch from what I could gather.

Time will tell I guess. I just hope it is better than the WatchOS 2 app which really isn't very usable.

22. TonnyJoost macrumors newbie

TonnyJoost

Arh - just received the new Apple Watch 2 - there`s NO 3. part apps that uses the GPS at this time :-( hopefully Runkeeper will make it happen or Endomondo?

23. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Yea .. I don't get it. You would of thought at least Nike Run Club would work with the Series 2 GPS at a minimum. Hopefully we'll see some in the next few weeks.

24. TonnyJoost macrumors newbie

TonnyJoost

25. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I won't say I'm surprised but I really just don't get it. They are selling this as a running watch, yet none of the apps runner's actually want to use are available at launch. Why make a bad first impression??