Series 2: No DLC coating?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Watabou, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I was researching the new models and realized that the cheapest Space black stainless steel model you can buy is $599, which sounded awesome to me. However, then I realized I couldn't find any details on what coating the Space black model has. I couldn't find details of DLC coating anywhere, which leads me to believe that it's just painted.

Is it possible that Apple decided to no longer offer Space black models with DLC coating or am I missing something? The space black bands have no details for them either...

2. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Don't know what DLC is but if the SS isn't anodized anymore I may reconsider.

3. mbh macrumors 6502

DLC is the Diamond Like Carbon coating on the Space Black Stainless Steel model (original Apple Watch at least). It is very scratch resistant. Only the aluminum models are anodized.

4. enrincon89 macrumors member

Any one that has the SS Space Black Apple Watch how's the wear and tear does it scratch up like the normal SS Apple Watch ?

I would appreciate the feedback because I'm thinking of getting my first Apple Watch.

Thanks

5. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I want to buy the black one with the black edge and a soft black colored band. I was going to ask the same question. Subscribed. Series 2, here I come!

6. BPMCH02 macrumors regular

I have the space black model and it doesn't seem to scratch at all to be honest. The down side is that if it does scratch you will not be able to polish it like you can with the silver SS model. I honestly am switching to the silver SS with leather band from the space black SS with links bracelet because the links bracelet is starting to show some scratches and is a finger print magnet (also want some change up in here lol).

7. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

That's very cool, I am doing the opposite then you pretty much for the same reason lol, want a little change.

I ordered space black with the band, was that or the edition model.

Kind of regret not ordering the edition model to be honest. It's 5-7 weeks now so too late to change my mind but I might try and get one in store next week.

8. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I wonder if it scratches will you see silver underneath or black?

9. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

I love it. No scratches and I use the iPad screen cloth to polish it. I've worn it every day since launch.

10. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

I know the thread hasn't been updated in awhile, but lots of first-hand accounts are posted here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/space-black-owners-thread.1883079/

To answer @ScubaCinci's question - if you actually do manage to gouge it, yes, the stainless steel underneath is silver. The DLC coating is applied using the PVD process. It is very hard, but the underlying stainless is considerably softer.

If you hit something harder than the DLC (e.g. Diamond or anything over a 9 on the Mohs scale), you can scratch it. (theoretically, hitting something with an edge considerably harder than the stainless with enough force could also put a crease in the surface of your watch).

Me, personally, I've had mine since June of last year (it took THAT long for them to fill the orders!) :( and not a mark.

Just be careful around concrete and some types of brick - they can have particulates that approach diamond hardness.

11. midloman macrumors regular

midloman

I just chatted with Apple Support about the Series 2 Space Black watch. The information about it doesn't mention the DLC coating anywhere. She couldn't find in the information available to her that is has the DLC coating. The bands (Link, Milanese) seem to be, since they still cost more than the Stainless Steel version of either one. The Space Black watch, however, is the same price as the stainless steel watch. That wasn't the case with Series 0.

Does anyone have confirmation the Space Black Watch has the DLC coating, or are we just assuming it does?

12. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

That is certainly a valid point! They could be using the same coating process that they're doing for the "Jet Black" iPhone 7/7+ (which we really don't have a lot of info on yet).

Expect more information once these are actually released. It's often the case that the full documentation isn't available until products are shipping.

13. JIannacone macrumors member

Know I won't get a reply but I just emailed Tim Cook asking about the DLC...figures can't hurt....

14. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Wow! Great abuse of the executive escalation team there. Why couldn't you just wait for information to be published??

15. JIannacone macrumors member

Eh why not...I spend enough money with this company.

16. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

A shining example of why there's an entire department filtering e-mails to the executives.

Just keep driving up the cost of Apple's operating expenses. We aren't paying enough for our :apple: devices yet. ;)

17. daviedave macrumors member

daviedave

Why should apple not dlc coat the space black watches in series 2? Anyways i hope they do it because i ordered a 42mm sb watch. I think they just adjusted prices..

18. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Edit: Correction - this thread was created first...my bad. :)

And, for what it's worth - if it turns out that Apple's changed the coating for the SB SS watch, I think purchasers of the AW Series 2 could easily ask for a refund if it turns out it's not DLC.

Would also be very interested to learn exactly how they're doing the "Jet Black" iPhone 7/7+
    Highly doubt it's DLC, but if it was, that would make it a very durable finish indeed! :)

19. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's a polished anodised finish on the iPhone - as stated on the product page on the website

20. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Heh. Thanks. :) (yes, I should've looked) :) Not really surprised - think that would have driven up the price a little more than just forcing people to buy the two most expensive configs.

21. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

If so that's kind of a big deal. Would maybe be a deal breaker for me.

22. cwosigns macrumors 65816

cwosigns

I have both the stainless steel and the space black stainless steel and my stainless steel has scuffed and the space black hasn't. I don't think they've changed their manufacturing process; I'd be willing to bet that series 2 is still stainless steel with a DLC coating.

23. NicolasLGA macrumors member

NicolasLGA

Get off of your high horse.

Apple is a company out to make money. They need you to buy their stuff. They have to answer questions potential customers have about their products.

If the product you want is somehow inferior now because they cheapened the coating, you have a right to know (and a right to ask the question).

24. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Owned SBSS for 7 months. Bumped it against many things many times. Not a scratch even when examined with iPhone flashlight. Superbly resistant to scratches i would say.

25. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

My point being there are regular support mechanisms for finding out such information. You should be using the executive escalation team for items that merit the escalation....not every damn information request.