Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Today’s update was lacklustre at best in my opinion, and I feel they need to update the look of the Apple Watch completely.

Do you think Series 6 will be a major overhaul in design?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I don’t think so.

It’s pretty clear the next generation emphasis will be on chip performance (& battery saving) and some additional health features. Seeing also they’re giving us what we want every year now (cellular, ECG, Always On) next year should be the year for Watch Faces Store at last.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I’d like a design with a thinner chassis. More than that, I want to see some new health monitoring functionality introduced like when they added the ECG feature. E.g., native sleep tracking, blood pressure, blood glucose (a very far fetched one but there are efforts there worldwide), etc. That’s when I’ll upgrade from my S2.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
It’s looking more likely they’ll have a round model but they are apple and so masters of milking it. Just look at the watch faces. They all scream round design in our secret lab but we won’t give it you till we milked every last drop of cash from you.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
It’s looking more likely they’ll have a round model but they are apple and so masters of milking it. Just look at the watch faces. They all scream round design in our secret lab but we won’t give it you till we milked every last drop of cash from you.

Although a round design can feel more traditional and perhaps more aesthetically pleasing on a Watch, I’m not so sure it works well with a smart watch as I appreciate the extra screen real estate for information with the face shape we have now.

Ultimately I would like the case to be much thinner, but we’d need to wait for more significant improvements in battery technology to enable that to happen.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Yep I want round design and being a watch I think design is critical. Want a new Apple Watch as just broke my conventional watch but would hate to buy the last of this look

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Although a round design can feel more traditional and perhaps more aesthetically pleasing on a Watch, I’m not so sure it works well with a smart watch as I appreciate the extra screen real estate for information with the face shape we have now.

Ultimately I would like the case to be much thinner, but we’d need to wait for more significant improvements in battery technology to enable that to happen.

Your post makes no sense. Look at the faces where you could just draw a round circle. Look at mickey, utility, chronograph, explorer, infograph, all watch faces on the latest models that are just round in a square box.
[doublepost=1568201567][/doublepost]
Yep I want round design and being a watch I think design is critical. Want a new Apple Watch as just broke my conventional watch but would hate to buy the last of this look

There’s a lot of money apple is leaving on the table by not having a round design. Then people will have choice.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
No it’s not. And all the round faces allow for complications in the corner. You couldn’t have that with a round display.

huiAPPOAJ

Suspended
Jul 1, 2019
Apple themselves said that round design is dumb for an electronic device. Also I doubt they will be redesigned anytime soon, maybe in 2-3 years with small "S" models with "new" features they scrapped off of Series 4 to sell them to people who buy new ones every year

Last edited by a moderator:

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Your post makes no sense. Look at the faces where you could just draw a round circle. Look at mickey, utility, chronograph, explorer, infograph, all watch faces on the latest models that are just round in a square box.

There is much more to the AW than the watch faces.
None of the apps use a round layout. Why should they when there is so much screen space to be used?

If you use the watch only for the time, you would be better served by a traditional wristwatch.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
They should offer both. Round one could be a more premium model, focused slightly more on aesthetics, rectangle one focused more on fitting in as much stuff as you can into the face.

Square shapes are better for screens, but for a watch I'd happily take a round one. Used Garmin watches for years and never thought on this isn't functional. On the contrary, they're purely functional.

Analogue watch faces are my preference too, and round bezels are way better looking with those.

500-123762.jpg

Reactions: Zxxv

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
There is much more to the AW than the watch faces.
None of the apps use a round layout. Why should they when there is so much screen space to be used?

If you use the watch only for the time, you would be better served by a traditional wristwatch.

My 44mm stainless steel black series 4 Apple Watch tells the time, it also happens to do some other cool stuff too.

Round is coming. You can deny the future but it will run right over you.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
[doublepost=1568201567][/doublepost]

There’s a lot of money apple is leaving on the table by not having a round design. Then people will have choice.

I've owned "round faced" smart watches, Moto, Huawei, and I can tell you for a fact that you DO, indeed lose a LOT of watch real estate. Your messages will only fit in the center 1/2 of the watch, being cut off at the top 1/4, and bottom 1/4 due to the circular design. The ONLY thing that is more "convenient", or looks more "normal" is the numbers around the edge of the case, except in some (Moto) the "flat tire" look cuts off the 5, 6, and 7 of those watch faces also.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
It may, but not at Apple.

Point me to successful Apple Products that change its form completely after 4-5 years.

It’s not about changing it’s form. It’s about choice. Not everyone wants a square watch. You’re assuming it’s one or the other when it’s not. Both are possible. Apple ain’t leaving money on the table. Maybe that’s why Jony Ive was pissed off when he fought for the watch to be stand alone and a fashion item. He knew one size and design won’t cut it but he was overruled and forced to make it be an accessory to the iPhone.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
It’s not about changing it’s form. It’s about choice. Not everyone wants a square watch. You’re assuming it’s one or the other when it’s not. Both are possible. Apple ain’t leaving money on the table. Maybe that’s why Jony Ive was pissed off when he fought for the watch to be stand alone and a fashion item. He knew one size and design won’t cut it but he was overruled and forced to make it be an accessory to the iPhone.

Perhaps, as you say, "Not everyone wants a square watch", but on the other hand, "Not everyone wants a round watch" either.. Just sayin.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Perhaps, as you say, "Not everyone wants a square watch", but on the other hand, "Not everyone wants a round watch" either.. Just sayin.

Right. That’s why from a business perspective there should be two models. So no money is left on the table.

Reactions: TJ82 and oeagleo

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
It’s not about changing it’s form. It’s about choice.

Are you sure you’re in the right place? This is not Android.
We’re talking about a company that’s making only ‘white’ headphones, in its name, for decades and still not changing. Where’s the choice for other colors that people asking for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.