Serious disapointment.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by generati, Oct 23, 2012.

1. generati, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

generati macrumors newbie

What the @#$! is up with Apple over the last 3 years. They seem incapable of providing honest updates to their hardware. Yes, the case is pretty, but I want to be able to play today's computer games on it. Apple has been steadily falling behind for 3 years now in the hardware realm.

I have been holding off on buying a Windows machine in the hopes that the iMac would get a decent upgrade, and instead they are offering a nicer LOOKING machine with a slower GPU than the previous model!? This isn't how computer hardware, especially EXPENSIVE, computer hardware is supposed to be upgraded. You don't wait 2+ years to upgrade a product, or in the case of the Mac Pro 900 days if you want to stay at the top of your market. I don't want a Windows machine, but that might be how I spend my money this cycle, gaming is important to me. My old Mac Laptop will do me fine for non-gaming applications.

I know that iOS is now the big money maker, but Apple's iOS ecosystem REQUIRES people buy Mac's if they are going to be developing for iOS.

Who is this new iMac for??? Who is the ideal customer???

UPDATE: while I still have concerns about Apple's actual ability to upgrade their hardware lines over the last 3 years, if the BTO option is actually available with a better GPU, I might stick with Apple for at least one more generation. (Although, honestly, it still might better to wait it out for another to see if they put out a new Mac Pro.)

2. Razeus macrumors 601

3. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

Like ive said in other threads, the obsession over aesthetics and looks have gotten out of hand.

4. Apple2000 macrumors member

Uhh... Hate to break it to ya buddy but they are offering the 680m which is twice as fast as the previous AMD 6970m.

5. connor.e macrumors member

You do understand that a BTO 27 inch iMac can be fitted with a 680m? This may be a mobile card, but it is the fastest mobile card on the current market.

What did you expect they do, put in a desktop GPU? C'mon. Liven up.

6. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

One? Try many, look in all the other threads. There are plenty of disappointed people.

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Not me. I'm loving it. Thinking of selling my 2011 for one of these puppies :D

8. TMRaven, Oct 23, 2012

TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

9. generati thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I was just looking at the updated specs. I'm looking forward to playing around seeing what I could possibly get that might do as a gaming/programming setup.

10. Nandifix macrumors 6502

BOOM YEAH I'm glad I waited this long now. Makes it worth it! Going for base 27".

Is fusion drive included or extra?

11. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Only thing I am disappointed about is that they aren't letting us order them until an unknown date.

12. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Right now, you can't configure the BTO options on the store yet. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit.

On that note, where the hell is iTunes 11 anyway??

13. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I would have liked 256gb or 512gb ssd only option in 27 inch iMac. I wouldn't want a hybrid drive, even with all the smartness surrounding it, nor would I want apple's jacked up prices on whatever a 3/4s tb ssd costs.

14. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yea, I was wrong about that. I thought we'd be able to order on day one. Well at least there was an announcement. A collective sigh of relief in the iMac community, following by bickering and whining.

----------

I'm with you on the 512GB SSD. Did Phil clarify that it only "went up to" 256GB? I'm curious about the Fusion drive and I'll definitely be waiting on pricing to see the practicality of it.

15. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

The top one actually has a slightly better GPU than we expected. Why are you complaining about games?

16. ihaveneverknown macrumors member

This is the most comical post all day.

You realize this was Steve Jobs guiding principle and how Apple became the monster it is today right? Great design, form and function.

----------

That's because, as a whole, the Internet is an awful, awful place.

17. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yep, exactly. Apple did not climb to the top by following others.

18. Doggman, Oct 23, 2012

Doggman macrumors member

I completely agree. iMac 2012 is FTL in alot of ways. However your "update" is some what concerning... why the hell would you want a $3,000 mac with a mobile GPU if gaming is important to you? Build a custom rig gaming and use the mac laptop for general computing. I, like you, was waiting to see if the iMac was worth getting and IMO it is worse than the 2011 iMac (at release anyway). It's not a desktop... It's a pretty screen/case with laptop internals that literally costs an arm, a leg, and a kidney. F' that I'm building a custom rig.

/me is leaving iMac forums as to prevent myself from non-stop flamming for the rest of the night

EDIT: Had to come back and talk to this guy

You do realize that Steve Jobs' guiding principles were to MAKE THE MOST MONEY and NOT to make the best computer. The majority of iMac customers (NOT FORUM MEMBERS) do not know about the internals of a computer... They see the slim and shiny iMac and think "now that is a nice computer" when in fact it's a garbage design for anything other than looking good. Apple does not sell to the prosumer anymore but instead to the masses of naive consumers out there. I don't blame them one bit because their making millions of $'s and that's the whole point of a company, but I, as a prosumer, will not be purchasing their ill-designed fashion statement of a "desktop"...

/end rant and Now I'm leaving

19. drambuie macrumors 6502a

The specs say there's a 768GB SSD option.

20. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I see it now. Thanks. Looks like only for 27" models though.

Bummer. I was looking at the 21.5".

21. applefiend95 macrumors regular

dude if gaming is so important to you, then you shouldn't be looking into apple in the first place whether you like the OS or not.

22. Shivetya macrumors 65816

So 1799 ++++

Figure Fusion drive is +100

The 680 is +200?

23. OceanView macrumors 65816

well, this is gonna be a hot seller.
    If you want better hardware, build a hackintosh.

My wife has been waiting for this update for a year and it was well worth it.
    It's now light enough to carry around the house.

24. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

It's an additional $250 US in the Mini.

----------

As a prosumer machine the iMac is more than fast enough for 99% of the users out there.

25. Dougie83 macrumors member

You can't please everybody.

Nevertheless there will be plenty of takers with what is on offer.