Serious switch iPad 3 for ENGRAVED iPad 2

Eddieskis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Ok so I lined up this morning to get my 32 gb ipad3 and I was very happy. That was until my girlfriend saw it . You see the thing is she ordered me a secret ENGRAVED iPad 2 for my birthday next week .

My understanding is I can not return the engraved iPad so I will effectively have to downgrade to the iPad 2 after spending time with the iPad 3 .

Any bright ideas

No I can't give one to her and I can't keep both either .

Is the no engraved returns policy set in stone ????

Ahhhh what to do . I really love the updated screen .

Please guys and girls help me out

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Ok so I lined up this morning to get my 32 gb ipad3 and I was very happy. That was until my girlfriend saw it . You see the thing is she ordered me a secret ENGRAVED iPad 2 for my birthday next week .

My understanding is I can not return the engraved iPad so I will effectively have to downgrade to the iPad 2 after spending time with the iPad 3 .

Any bright ideas

Sell the iPad 2. Even if it's engraved.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Try to return it.

If not, sell the engraved one on eBay for a slight loss.

Kiss your girlfriend for being so sweet. It was the thought that counts.

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
I'm selling my 2 month old engraved iPad 2, took about a $250 hit (32gb wifi), but I only need the 16gb version so I'll end up losing about $150.

You can probably get a fairly good deal if you sell it, or you may be able to convince apple to take it back. I checked their return policy and they don't say anything about engraved items, so I think you can return it.

Does your girlfriend know you got a new iPad? Is she ok with you returning it?

wskitche

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
Keep the ipad3. If you get rid of the ipad 3, everytime you use the ipad 2, you'll resent her for making you ditch it. She wants you to be happy (if not, leave her) - just explain to her that you want the iPad 3, appreciate her thoughtfulness, and try to work out with her how to make the iPad 3 happen.

Alternately, you could give her the 2, you keep the 3.

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Why are so many people advising that the OP leave his girlfriend? I'm she is worth more to him than an iPad.

Lagmonster

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
You are going to have to keep the engraved iPad2. If you can afford to keep both well that is up to you but don't you dare sell the one she bought you!

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
you can pick out all the virgins in here quite easily...
your girlfriend is worth more than an ipad 3. keep the ipad 2 and appreciate the thoughtful gift while not hurting her feelings at the same time.

id rather an engraved ipad 2 as a thoughtful gift from my lovinggirlfriend than a meaningless one with a better screen.

Papillo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
you can pick out all the virgins in here quite easily...
your girlfriend is worth more than an ipad 3. keep the ipad 2 and appreciate the thoughtful gift while not hurting her feelings at the same time.

id rather an engraved ipad 2 as a thoughtful gift from my lovinggirlfriend than a meaningless one with a better screen.

Rubbish. i highly doubt that she would mind if he returns the 3, sells the 2 (with her permission) and uses the proceeds to purchase another 3 with the same inscription. He is not making her spend anymore than she did and the same sentiment carried over.

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
There is no win here for you other than returning the new iPad, and taking the iPad 2 she got you... I'm sure she feels bad too.

This reminds me of something my wife would have done (she has gotten much better now when it comes to stuff like this.)

One year just before christmas I had gotten contacts, and we where walking around the mall. Up until this point I had always worn glasses. So we where walking through the mall, and I went on this rant about how I can't believe people could spend so much money on sun glasses (had a "friend" that spent multiple hundreds of dollars on sun glasses, and then would loose them). Come to find out she had bought me an expensive pair of sunglasses, since I could now wear them. Man I felt like a jerk, and she felt bad about it too...

I say keep the iPad 2, and move on with life. It sucks, but it is better than the alternative.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
Rubbish. i highly doubt that she would mind if he returns the 3, sells the 2 (with her permission) and uses the proceeds to purchase another 3 with the same inscription. He is not making her spend anymore than she did and the same sentiment carried over.
ill refer you back to my first point. women dont work like that.
jesus, most people dont work like that id be really pissed off if i bought someone a personal gift and they just sold it straight away. i wouldnt buy them anything ever again

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Single?

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Any bright ideas
Sell it to your a parent or grandparent, take a photo of the engraving and keep it as a screensaver on your iPad 3, and use the money to take her out to eat at a really nice restaurant (engagement ring), crises averted. You bring the love of Apple to a family member, have her engraving etched onto the backdrop of your iPad 3, and pacify her with a date out.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Refund iPad 3, sell iPad 2 buy iPad 3 with same engraving

Voila
Honestly I do not understand why an adult conversation with the girlfriend would end up in a win win for everyone. What she did was very nice. But given the new iPad launched TODAY, I would expect my wife (sorry, no girlfriend) to understand that while I value her thought, I want the new one. So getting a new one with the same engraving should make everyone happy.

If I could not have had a simple conversation with my (then) girlfriend to arrive at a mutually satisfactory conclusion over something so TRIVIAL, I would not have married her. 50 years of this stuff could get old quick.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There is no win here for you other than returning the new iPad, and taking the iPad 2 she got you... I'm sure she feels bad too.

This reminds me of something my wife would have done (she has gotten much better now when it comes to stuff like this.)

One year just before christmas I had gotten contacts, and we where walking around the mall. Up until this point I had always worn glasses. So we where walking through the mall, and I went on this rant about how I can't believe people could spend so much money on sun glasses (had a "friend" that spent multiple hundreds of dollars on sun glasses, and then would loose them). Come to find out she had bought me an expensive pair of sunglasses, since I could now wear them. Man I felt like a jerk, and she felt bad about it too...

I say keep the iPad 2, and move on with life. It sucks, but it is better than the alternative.
Pretty much. That's why I started the iPad for my birthday conversation at the end of last year. Needless to say my wife left it up to me and my birthday New iPad will be here any minute.

It's better to keep the iPad 2 that she special ordered for you. Suck it up, get the iPad 4 next year. Better that than to hurt her feelings. Even if she says she doesn't care if you return it, she will.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA

Any bright ideas

"She is ordering..." implies she hasn't already. If she has, then it may still be in "processing" so she cancel it. Also, calling 1800-My-Apple doesn't hurt either. You may be surprised at what they're willing to do.