Serious switch iPad 3 for ENGRAVED iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eddieskis, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Eddieskis macrumors newbie

Ok so I lined up this morning to get my 32 gb ipad3 and I was very happy. That was until my girlfriend saw it . You see the thing is she ordered me a secret ENGRAVED iPad 2 for my birthday next week .

My understanding is I can not return the engraved iPad so I will effectively have to downgrade to the iPad 2 after spending time with the iPad 3 .

Any bright ideas

No I can't give one to her and I can't keep both either .

Is the no engraved returns policy set in stone ????

Ahhhh what to do . I really love the updated screen .

Please guys and girls help me out

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Sell the iPad 2. Even if it's engraved.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Try to return it.

If not, sell the engraved one on eBay for a slight loss.

Kiss your girlfriend for being so sweet. It was the thought that counts.

4. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Explain this exact situation to the apple store. They may let you return the engraved iPad. Get smarter girlfriend next time.

5. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Oops. iPad 2 + happy girlfriend > iPad 3 + pissed off/no girlfriend :)

6. DopeyFish macrumors regular

Refund iPad 3, sell iPad 2 buy iPad 3 with same engraving

Voila

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This has got to be one of the wisest things I have ever heard/read in Macrumors.

Seriously.

8. Kyllle macrumors 6502

I'm selling my 2 month old engraved iPad 2, took about a $250 hit (32gb wifi), but I only need the 16gb version so I'll end up losing about $150.

You can probably get a fairly good deal if you sell it, or you may be able to convince apple to take it back. I checked their return policy and they don't say anything about engraved items, so I think you can return it.

Does your girlfriend know you got a new iPad? Is she ok with you returning it?

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

yah dude, you need to break up with that girl

10. wskitche macrumors newbie

Keep the ipad3. If you get rid of the ipad 3, everytime you use the ipad 2, you'll resent her for making you ditch it. She wants you to be happy (if not, leave her) - just explain to her that you want the iPad 3, appreciate her thoughtfulness, and try to work out with her how to make the iPad 3 happen.

Alternately, you could give her the 2, you keep the 3.

11. Papillo macrumors member

What does the engraving say? :)

----------

This is what i would probably do.

12. jon1987 macrumors regular

Why are so many people advising that the OP leave his girlfriend? I'm she is worth more to him than an iPad.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd validate that assumption first and foremost. You might be pleasantly surprised. Can't hurt, and you'll know for sure.

Whatever you do though, keep the gf happy!

14. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

You are going to have to keep the engraved iPad2. If you can afford to keep both well that is up to you but don't you dare sell the one she bought you!

15. LeeM macrumors 6502a

you can pick out all the virgins in here quite easily...
    your girlfriend is worth more than an ipad 3. keep the ipad 2 and appreciate the thoughtful gift while not hurting her feelings at the same time.

id rather an engraved ipad 2 as a thoughtful gift from my lovinggirlfriend than a meaningless one with a better screen.

16. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

That's right.
    There's nothing wrong with the iPad 2 so keep it until you feel the need to upgrade. Maybe the iPad 4 will be out by that time.

17. Papillo macrumors member

Rubbish. i highly doubt that she would mind if he returns the 3, sells the 2 (with her permission) and uses the proceeds to purchase another 3 with the same inscription. He is not making her spend anymore than she did and the same sentiment carried over.

18. simply stunning macrumors regular

There is no win here for you other than returning the new iPad, and taking the iPad 2 she got you... I'm sure she feels bad too.

This reminds me of something my wife would have done (she has gotten much better now when it comes to stuff like this.)

One year just before christmas I had gotten contacts, and we where walking around the mall. Up until this point I had always worn glasses. So we where walking through the mall, and I went on this rant about how I can't believe people could spend so much money on sun glasses (had a "friend" that spent multiple hundreds of dollars on sun glasses, and then would loose them). Come to find out she had bought me an expensive pair of sunglasses, since I could now wear them. Man I felt like a jerk, and she felt bad about it too...

I say keep the iPad 2, and move on with life. It sucks, but it is better than the alternative.

19. LeeM macrumors 6502a

ill refer you back to my first point. women dont work like that.
    jesus, most people dont work like that id be really pissed off if i bought someone a personal gift and they just sold it straight away. i wouldnt buy them anything ever again

20. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Single?

21. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Sell it to your a parent or grandparent, take a photo of the engraving and keep it as a screensaver on your iPad 3, and use the money to take her out to eat at a really nice restaurant (engagement ring), crises averted. You bring the love of Apple to a family member, have her engraving etched onto the backdrop of your iPad 3, and pacify her with a date out.

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Honestly I do not understand why an adult conversation with the girlfriend would end up in a win win for everyone. What she did was very nice. But given the new iPad launched TODAY, I would expect my wife (sorry, no girlfriend) to understand that while I value her thought, I want the new one. So getting a new one with the same engraving should make everyone happy.

If I could not have had a simple conversation with my (then) girlfriend to arrive at a mutually satisfactory conclusion over something so TRIVIAL, I would not have married her. 50 years of this stuff could get old quick.

23. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Try to return the engraved one. Just don't open it when you receive it.

24. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Pretty much. That's why I started the iPad for my birthday conversation at the end of last year. Needless to say my wife left it up to me and my birthday New iPad will be here any minute.

It's better to keep the iPad 2 that she special ordered for you. Suck it up, get the iPad 4 next year. Better that than to hurt her feelings. Even if she says she doesn't care if you return it, she will.

25. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

"She is ordering..." implies she hasn't already. If she has, then it may still be in "processing" so she cancel it. Also, calling 1800-My-Apple doesn't hurt either. You may be surprised at what they're willing to do.