Seriously Defective Macbook Pro with FOUR HDD Failures in 10 Months

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryukouki, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Ryukouki macrumors regular

Can someone here help me out? I bought an early 2011 Macbook Pro in late August of 2011, and the hard drive has failed, as of today, for the FOURTH time. I have reinstalled the OS, I have gotten the hard drive replacement at Genius Bar, I do not know what is wrong with my computer. Earlier today, it gave me some random beeping noises before boot. I did my work, turned off, came back later. This time, I got the question mark in the folder icon on the gray screen. Reinstalled OS Lion 10.7.4 and restored with Time Machine, and it is sort of working again. I do NOT want this to happen again. I need to visit Apple again tomorrow for another session, but is there a way I can get rid of this laptop? I'm not happy with it.

2. laxman101 macrumors regular

If you want to get rid of the laptop you should sell it.

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It would seem your usage would benefit from an SSD.

This isn't necessarily to impugn you or your handling of the unit. With escalating drive capacity comes a commensurate escalation in data density on the platters. Lots can go wrong to render the drive unable to function. The heads literally fly over the spinning platter with a separation of mere nanometers. Knocks and bumps are obvious sources of potentially damaging head-crashes, and so is vibration from nearby mechanisms and audio sources. Meanwhile, operation on airliners means significantly thinner cushion of air due to the reduced cabin pressure, and no lack of vibration or acoustic disturbances. Frankly, I think we've passed the point where drive data densities and tolerances are sensible for consumer use.

SSDs sidestep all that. I suspect you'd be much happier with them.

4. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Haha as much as I baby my laptop, I know you're not here to berate me on my habits. Just know this, it's in pristine condition. :) HOWEVER, an SSD is sadly out of question, I'm just a poor college student. :( If you can get me a 256+GB SSD for free, or if I win the lottery, lemme know! :)

5. andymac2210 macrumors regular

Had the same thing happen to me (3 times in a year), got an SSD, been all good for 6 months now.

6. Aodhan macrumors regular

Your computer is eating hard drives. Is it possible there is something else wrong that is affecting the hard drives? Four failures in ten months is well beyond statistical probability. Are you using it while jogging?

7. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, seriously. I even had it (the HDD) replaced too! Last time, which was May 8th, 2012. I have that invoice too, so I'm definitely gonna bring that up. It SUCKS. I'm thinking motherboard, but that doesn't seem likely. If I had any other ideas, I'd say them, but I'm just a college student. I usually keep my laptop at home, and use the university computers for my works. :(

8. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I agree with the SSD suggestion below. You'll enjoy the improved performance and not have to worry about the problems inherent with platter drives. SSD prices continue to fall and good deals on the Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 are popping up almost daily. I've seen both 256GB versions for less than $190 in the past few weeks.

My only question is what reasons are the guys at the Genius bar giving for your HDD problems? Surely after four replacements they have some theory.

9. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

I had a similar issue the replaced the hard drive 4 times then just replaced the entire computer.

10. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

You should know that if you go through more than 4 warranty repairs, Apple is entitled to replace your laptop with a brand new one. This will have to go through Apple Care and be escalated to the Customer Administration. I learned that first hand with my iPhone 4S. I had 3 replacements and called Apple Care mighty pissed off. They ended up sending me a brand new, sealed in box phone.

11. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

I wish I had an answer. They are really baffled too. They're just throwing me temporary solutions. It really sucks.

12. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

there cheap now, 120gb u can get for around 100 bucks. or are u that poor?

13. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Put that college education and your best debating skills to good use. Take all the paperwork with you and go back to the Apple store and state your case calmly and firmly for a replacement. Be pleasant and courteous but don't take no for an answer. You might be "a poor college student" but you should be treated fairly. If necessary, practice what you will say and do before returning so you don't feel/get intimidated.

After many failed repair attempts I had a 2011 MBP replaced. The issue was different than yours but they couldn't repair it properly.

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

Use the money you waste on the lottery to buy a new SSD.

15. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Why the heck would you consider anything other than asking Apple to replace the whole dang computer?

16. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

I can afford a smaller SSD but the thing is I need at least a 256. :( I have a LOT of backend stuff.

17. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Oh IF I decided to go SSD, with a 256 GB (Are there 320 GB or 300 GB options that are around 350 bucks?) how can I install it myself? Is there a tutorial? And whats a good brand? I've been eyeing the Crucial SSD. As a student who has a medical bill for back surgery I need to reduce costs AS MucH AS POSSIBLE. :(

18. lali macrumors regular

My suggestion is this: call Apple customer support, explain to them very calmly the issues that occurred, tell them the troubles you experienced and the trouble-shooting you did, and ask them for a replacement, since you are an unsatisfied Apple customer. What is going on with this laptop is not normal
    No genius bar. Call apple customer support.

19. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

I actually did earlier and they billed me $50 because I didn't have the Apple Care, apparently. -___-

20. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

They do come in 300GB and 360Gb but I think only intel makes 300GB and they are quite expensive. Corsair does make a 360GB one for $320. These capacities are not too common for SSDs on the market. 256GB or 512GB are usually the suggested ones.

Installing is really easy, just go to ifixit.com and find your model and follow the guides.

----------

I would have asked for a logic board replacement after the 3rd time. Hard drives should not be failing like that. There is definitely something else causing these failures.

21. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I told them to replace the mobo the third time. What I got told was, Oh we ran diagnostics and its fine. Nothing to see here... I even had them replace the HDD in May and it died again. So I honestly have NO idea what happened.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The ssd comments are dumb. HDDs have been in laptops for many years, and at no point has it been much of an issue. If you're constantly opening and closing the machine + moving it while it's turned on, yes they might break or wear down faster. Even then faster means at least the second or third year, not multiple drives in a year. It is something else. SSDs can wear out too if you write or page a lot of data.

By the second repair they should be examining the machine in greater detail.

23. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Not having AppleCare warranty hurts your position, but this time I would demand that they replace both free of charge seeing this is the 4TH TIME its failed. If you had warranty you could probably get a full replacement, but don't take just a HD replacement for an answer....demand a logic board or full replacement.

24. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

I know, I wanted them to take a REALLY deep look at my Macbook and tell me something was wrong. As I don't have the Applecare, I do however still have the regular yearlong warranty. Which is even more stupid because four breaks in LESS THAN A YEAR is complete bull if you ask me.

Trust me, I don't intend to leave unless I get myself a replacement. I'm going to say that up front. I am going to get rid of this laptop and get a different one. I have very detailed self written logs that chronicled my problems, from dates, appointment times, things I recall doing last, the solution that Apple gave, etc., computer specs, all that fancy stuff. All they need to do is reference the dates of the genius bar appointments on my logs and they'll see that I'm not blowing air.

EDIT: For the record I myself have never opened the machine for any reason. I leave that to them to deal with. According to my records, I have had the hard drive, monitor, the brackets on the hdd, and the keyboard replaced, give or take a few wirings and connectors for the hdd and leading to the mobo. They pretty much gave me everything sans mobo.

25. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

wait, you're still in your 1-year warranty period??? They should not have charged you $50, ask for a refund as well.....this is ridiculous.

Edit: AppleCare really doesn't apply until after the 1-yr manufacture warranty. Yes, you do get the phone support and they tend to prioritize issues for those who have it, but that shouldn't matter. And definitely ask for a replacement. I was assuming you no longer had a warranty.