Seriously, This Antenna BS Has Got to Stop

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneHome, Jun 26, 2010.

1. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

I've had the iP4 since the launch day and yes I have seen the bars drop...but haven't dropped a darn call yet. I'm on the phone for the better part of each day and I, like Mr. Jobs, see this as a NON ISSUE.

It's just like the old story "Dr. my arm hurts when I position it like this"... Dr: "Well don't do that"...."Oh, Thanks"

Honestly, the news, media and Apple haters have taken this story and misconstrued the hell out of it. Whenever any company sells a million of anything, there are going to be some issues with a small % of the devices. That's a given. The problem nowadays, is that the first "I want some media love-whore attention jerk" will begin to whine, tip news outlets and complain on every message bored around.

I've TRIED to drop a call by using a Samurai Death Grip and it just wouldn't happen. Yes, the bars fall but it's not hurting reception or the phones performance.

Anywho, to those who have been weary about picking up and iP4 because of this nonsense please don't hesitate...it's seriously not that bad.

2. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

If you hold the phone in the middle with your pointer finger and thumb you don't get dropped calls. I don't understand how people hold the phone up to their ear in a cup positioned way.

3. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Um, I wouldn't call 28% small, according to the TechCrunch poll. By my calculations that means that 420,000 iPhone owners have this problem worldwide. That is not "a given." :rolleyes:

4. aerodoc macrumors member

Your logic is not sound. You cannot presume to understand other people's experience solely based on yours. There are many variables which you not considering.

5. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

/me waves...

iPhone 4 owner, detailed my experience at the link in my sig.

What needs to stop are people creating threads like this one saying "This needs to stop" because it's a real issue, regardless of whether you thread starters have the problem or not, regardless of whether you believe it to be real or not.

"Some things are true whether you believe them or not, and the damned phone doesn't work for a great many of us."

6. diabolic macrumors 68000

I'd make sure you factor in all the Apple haters that will say they have the problems even though they don't have an iPhone 4.

I'd find it hard to believe anyone who has the phone and has the problem would say nothing was wrong, no matter how much of a fanboy they were.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If a tree and you, the OP, aren't around to see it fall, does it make a sound?

8. herdinoh macrumors regular

This is sick. you cannot blame people just because you dont have issues with your phone. Obvious, the new iphone did not work well for a big group of users. Nobody is giving hardtime to apple. People complains because they are not deserving this after they pay big dollar for a phone.

9. pmz macrumors 68000

"We received 20 phone calls, and as you all know, a call equals a billion people, therefor, 20 billion people were offended by this!"

"Gasp!"

"Gasp!"

10. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, I forgot TechCrunch had the most accurate and honest polling system around.

I'm a user, I've tried to drop calls, I've had the bars fall...It's just not adding up.

I have 5 buddies that all bought the phone and have tried to drop a call...it just isn't happening. And we live near NY. Supposedly the Purgatory of AT&T voice calling.

11. pmz macrumors 68000

Obviously you're not reading or following the story. You say, "the new iPhone did not work well," and already the entire post is false. People are finding a way to make it lose service, since it seems to be doing a great job of maintaing service under normal use.

12. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Guess you guys are lucky: 100% of you don't know how to hold the phone the wrong way as Steve Jobs explains it... ;)

13. msduncan macrumors 6502

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ALL SHOULD BE GRATEFUL TO HAVE BEEN BLESSED TO GIFT YOUR $200-$600 TO THIS WONDERFUL COMPANY THAT HAS GRACED YOU WITH IT'S INFALLIBLE PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO SPEND ALL THEIR TIME MAKING THIS WONDERFUL, MAGICAL DEVICE. THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO DECIDE TO ALLOW YOU TO BUY IT!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS ONLY OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF THEIR HEARTS THAT THEY ALLOWS YOU TO SEND THEM HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO HAVE ONE OF THESE THINGS. DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/sarcasm and imitation of iPhoneHome and other apologists

Good God. Some of you people really really really make me wonder how mankind managed to crawl out of the caves.

14. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I might agree with you if the survey only had a few respondents, but it's hard to rally 1,930 Android users to participate in a poll to lie. ;)

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

So its BS because YOU happen to not have dropped a call yet and therefore everyone else is lying. Narcissistic much :rolleyes:

16. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

Retarded thread by a retarded thread starter. So you believe everyone here is making it up? You're such a fool. I cannot even make a call with the phone in my left hand, yet you claim im lying and full of ****? Please! FO apple fanboi!

17. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

So just because you/your buddies don't have problems, it is a false issue that doesn't really exist?
    I haven't had this problem with my new iPhone 4 either, but that doesn't mean that i'm arrogant enough to post a thread on the internet dismissing everyone else's issues -and there CLEARLY is some type of issue. How big? Not sure.

I'm getting tired of both people saying "this isn't happening to me, so everyone else is wrong" AND the others who say "Apple is crap.." etc.
    Some people need to get a grip and face reality. A £500 phone should work without this issue, period.

18. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? Have you seen the Engadget comments? lol

19. zoman504 macrumors regular

The issue is real, accept it. I was in denial at first, saw bars drop here or there. Then I noticed that EVERY time I text I see my bars drop to zero and goes to Searching...I realized I always text by gripping the bottom left side with my left hand! It's a real f'n issue, and I've been about as big of fanboy as you could be lately.

20. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Congratulations on your good luck.

However owning just one iPhone does not make you an expert. Nor does worshipping Steve Jobs.

21. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

And, as has been pointed out many times, it's in fringe areas where the death grip really comes into play, so it will happen to hundreds of thousands of users by the end of July when they need the phone most. The outcry will only gain momentum with more users.

And I'm not a hater, I bought all three generations of iPhone on the first day, save for this one because I wanted white. :)

22. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing that set me off was a posting in this forum saying "Those (like me) waiting for a white iPhone4. Has bad antenna publicity put you off?"

People who have waited months to get the actual phone are scared to buy now...and its 96 media hype.

23. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Here's the thing. You may not get dropped calls, I don't get dropped calls , but my friend right over here has an iPhone 4 and his is dropping calls it at an alarming rate. Do you expect everyone to just sit here and pretend it doesn't happen to protect the companys ego and your ego. I don't really know what the issue is but it is physical and it is very real. :(

I'm not alarmed about the issue as much as his attitude behind it. If he were a little bit more compassion about the issue instead of feeling butt-hurt over a fact, then this issue may have never reached this point. I know it's easy to knock the top dog, but he acts like he is not prone to make a mistake. He only reacts when people throw the red flag and raise concerns. :mad:

24. Gov98 macrumors newbie

Eh, the antenna issue is "an issue," but I don't how how must other people feel about it, but here's my thoughts.

I almost never am holding my phone when I receive a call (I know crazy huh) it's almost always in my pocket, it rings, I pick it up. When I'm actually talking on the phone because I'm right handed, I don't have this problem.

The only time i have a significiant drop in strength is when I'm browsing and do hold the phone tightly, so I don't do it that way, and it's fine.

Overall, (and this is just me), it's an issue, but so are a lot of things in life. If you deal with anything you find typically that there are trade-offs, I like the size, design, display and speed of the Iphone 4 a lot. The antenna issue just isn't a big one to me. It's a highly acceptable tradeoff. I primarily use the phone as a smartphone and I'm very happy.

If it's for you it is, if it's a dealbreaker it is. To each their own.

25. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Hey guess what? I have the problem with the antenna... Did I just prove you wrong?