Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MojoWill

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
MMS suck! thats why they aren't included in the phone

look at the major tariffs in the UK you get lots of free calls and text but very few actually over lots of free MMS very few people send them.

Send an email instead!

cdp1276

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2005
Fairport, NY
I'm 17 and I agree 100%.
E-mail is far, far different than MMS.

You have to check your e-mail, half of which is probably junk, that doesn't need to be seen right away. E-mail is made to be seen at a later date. Text messaging is made to be seen right away. That's why your phone alerts you. "Hey were are you?" isn't a message that you should read in 4 hours. Someone wants to know where you are, right now. Same goes for MMS. It's not for sharing family photo albums, but when someone sends you a picture, they want you to see it now! "The restaurant is on the far left side of the plaza, it looks like this [PICTURE]"

One of the best points and value of MMS said right here on this thread. I so agree and it isn't an age thing at all. I know plenty of people in 30's that do it all the time. MMS is a feature this phone should have.

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
The phone I had before my iPhone had both MMS and 3G video calling and they are both pretty useless I'm actually glad the iPhone doesn't have these gimmicky features. Getting GPS and sat-nav in the 3G iPhone would be tempting however....

Ag-Ryan

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
I think MMS only appeals to people under 25 and spotty teen chavs who like to take photos/videos of some kid getting happy slapped and share it with their mates with via Bluetooth or post on Youtube.:rolleyes:

ok... dont roll your eyes at the youth because we like things like mms.... there should be feautures for adults, and children (using "children" loosley) and teens and such.

as a 19 year old, i would really like mms, but i dont care for stocks and all that, but i dont mind having it for the people that do want it....

I'm sure someone has brought this up, but I didn't see it so I thought I would offer it.

I simply had my friends add my email address to the contact for me on their mobile phones. Then they just select that address when they send me a picture and it arrives via email on my iPhone.

On my iPhone contacts I simply add an entry for each friend's mobile MMS address. Then I can just select that and email a pic to their phone and it arrives just like an MMS.

Here are some mobile carriers MMS address. I can't verify these are all correct as I have only needed to use a few of them.

Alltel = xxxxxxxxxx@message.alltel.com
AT&T = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net
Boost Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@myboostmobile.com
Cingular (AT&T) = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.mycingular.com
Einstein PCS = xxxxxxxxxx@einsteinmms.com
Sprint = xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net
US Cellular = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.uscc.net
Verizon Wireless = xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com
Virgin Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@vmobl.com

that solves sending... but what about receiving?? (which is more important if you ask me)

okmike87

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
I explained that in the first part of my post.
In your (non iPhone) friends phone address books, have them add your email address to your contact.
Then when they want to send an MMS they simply choose your email address instead of your phone number.
I've had a least a dozen friends do that and haven't had any problems receiving their pics.

that solves sending... but what about receiving?? (which is more important if you ask me)

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Actually it would just need to open an Internet connection to a specific APN (all configuration needed is readable from an MMS-enabled phone of this operator) and then send a standarized message via http or wap. Technically it's nothing to write home about.

Isn't the standardarised message sent via a special protocol that isn't http or wap, and only accessable via the baseband?

That was my understanding.

Phazer

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I explained that in the first part of my post.
In your (non iPhone) friends phone address books, have them add your email address to your contact.
Then when they want to send an MMS they simply choose your email address instead of your phone number.
I've had a least a dozen friends do that and haven't had any problems receiving their pics.

This does not work in many countries - providers have to specifically forward messages and many do not as they charge for MMS.

Phazer

Supersonic

macrumors regular
May 24, 2006
to hell with the lack of MMS, that aint a problem..

...not being able to view any of the plethora of flash-based adult websites is!

C'mon! Flash-based web access is a must!

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
I think MMS only appeals to people under 25 and spotty teen chavs who like to take photos/videos of some kid getting happy slapped and share it with their mates with via Bluetooth or post on Youtube.:rolleyes:

Me and my wife use it when out shopping - if she sees something I might like then she takes a snap and sends an MMS. Same for me. As has also been mentioned it's great for visual directions.

Stupid generalisations are just that: stupid.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
This statement is always made, but isn't there a MMS app for jailbroken iPhones?

It's been mentioned before in this thread, but jailbroken phones have full access to everything Apple and the cell-networks don't want them to have access to. Like the cell network, where they can intercept MMS requests. The official SDK does not give access to the cell network, for security and bandwidth reasons. Nor does the SDK allow running an app in the background, so even if it did work, the user would have to be running their MMS Receiver app all the time and nothing else. Apple is going to provide a workaround for background apps, let developers run a server sending the iPhone messages, but that wouldn't work in this case, since the phone itself is what receives messages from the cell network, thus an internet server somewhere wouldn't receive any messages to send to your iPhone.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I don't see why a regular application couldn't send a MMS. All it'd need to know is the name/IP of AT&T's MMS server.

As for receiving it, if "viewmymessage" wasn't Flash, if someone wrote a program that could launch Safari and log you in based on the stuff in the SMS notification you get, that'd be almost a decent workaround.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
MMS is old, Apple knows it, and you should.

Just like your old tapes, old DVD's and now old CD's ... the digital revolution is happening, and Apple is helping it along nicely.
There are now much more convenient ways to store, send and receive data - as i'm sure you all well know, your just not coming
to the point of accepting it yet, but you will.

MMS is gone, and as soon as the mobile carriers realize this, the better.

E-mail is a much more standard, convenient way to send images, and might I add, will work mighty fine with Apple's new MobileMe service.

Nearly everyone has an e-mail address these days, and what are they used for? - well, communication. A picture speaks a thousand words.
Why not utilize this technology it in such a way everyone can interact.

Send a picture directly from your iPhone straight to your recipients e-mail address.
Minutes later, they send you one back, it lands in your inbox on your iPhone ..
and with v2.0 of the software, one tap, and you have it in your camera roll.

Send one back? - Tap on a photo > Bottom left icon > Email Photo.

I really can't see the desire for MMS support.
Get over it people, it's old hat, and you know it.

My 0.02

R-Fly

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town

Just like your old tapes, old DVD's and now old CD's ... the digital revolution is happening, and Apple is helping it along nicely.
There are now much more convenient ways to store, send and receive data - as i'm sure you all well know, your just not coming

E-mail is a much more standard, convenient way to send images, and might I add, will work mighty fine with Apple's new MobileMe service.

Nearly everyone has an e-mail address these days, and what are they used for? - well, communication. A picture speaks a thousand words.

Send a picture directly from your iPhone straight to your recipients e-mail address.

My 0.02

R-Fly

If you only you could actually download photos from your email to your iphone.

Dsr1205

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
I have had an iPhone since launch.
In that time, I have received exactly ONE MMS message that I couldn't view because the iPhone doesn't support it. One.

And I'm 21, so you can't play the "younger generations need MMS" card.

im 18, and i recieve like a couple of MMS a month and would actually liek to get them natively on my damn iphone. I also would send them more if i had the option. my friends dont bother checking the pictures i email them, they just dont email that much.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Being under Apple's Development NDA, I cannot disclose that information. Sorry. :apple:

R-Fly

Ah, no worries. Didn't even know you were apart of the program.

It was just something that seemed odd to leave out. Especially if email is supposed to replace mms.

Note, it would also be nice to be able to send and recieve video mail via email.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Nor does the SDK allow running an app in the background, so even if it did work, the user would have to be running their MMS Receiver app all the time and nothing else. Apple is going to provide a workaround for background apps, let developers run a server sending the iPhone messages, but that wouldn't work in this case, since the phone itself is what receives messages from the cell network, thus an internet server somewhere wouldn't receive any messages to send to your iPhone.

I believe they actually could make this work on Apple's push notification system, but that's not to say an MMS app will be allowed.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland

My 0.02

R-Fly
I would agree with all of this were it not for the fact that most of the people I know don't do email on their phone. I would like it if they did, but they don't. Eventually all the people I know will have email on their phone and we'll all be happy. But by that time I'll be on my 3rd or 4th Iphone and I will have spent a year or two, logging on to the internet to see the picture I was sent.
Maybe a better option while we are waiting for the rest of the mobile world to catch up would be for AT and T , 02 and the rest of the official iPhone carriers to automatically forward MMS we are sent to our email? Or would that be too sensible?
But until people stop sending me picture messages or the carriers get sensible, I would like a MMS app, either free from apple or bought from the App Store.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I'm sure someone has brought this up, but I didn't see it so I thought I would offer it.

I simply had my friends add my email address to the contact for me on their mobile phones. Then they just select that address when they send me a picture and it arrives via email on my iPhone.

On my iPhone contacts I simply add an entry for each friend's mobile MMS address. Then I can just select that and email a pic to their phone and it arrives just like an MMS.

Here are some mobile carriers MMS address. I can't verify these are all correct as I have only needed to use a few of them.

Alltel = xxxxxxxxxx@message.alltel.com
AT&T = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net
Boost Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@myboostmobile.com
Cingular (AT&T) = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.mycingular.com
Einstein PCS = xxxxxxxxxx@einsteinmms.com
Sprint = xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net
US Cellular = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.uscc.net
Verizon Wireless = xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com
Virgin Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@vmobl.com

This means you have to find out what carriers all your contacts have.
Also, it doesn't seem to work in the UK. At least for o2.

okmike87

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
Wasn't anymore of a problem than asking them what their phone number was when I originally added them to my address book.

This means you have to find out what carriers all your contacts have.
Also, it doesn't seem to work in the UK. At least for o2.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

The number of MMS sent went up this year.

Just like your old tapes,

The ones that took the better part of fifteen years to fall out of general use?

old DVD's

The DVD format isn't going anywhere for a decade. Probably twenty years.

and now old CD's ... the digital revolution is happening, and Apple is helping it along nicely.

Convenience entirely depends on your audience, and I can transfer pictures via MMS to people's phones an order of magnitude more easily than I can with email.

I'll be buggered if I'm paying more than my phone is costing me for a webmail inbox.

More people in the UK have MMS capable phones than email addresses.

Which is about as far as you get before you're knackered. My Mum doesn't have an email address, and ten years of trying means I know she isn't going to get one now.

She can get MMS though, and even has it set up on her phone, unlike anyone I know with their email.

Phazer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.