Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okmike87

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
As long as I have had mobile phones I have sent text messages to email addresses instead of phone numbers and it has always worked fine for me.

Isn't the standardarised message sent via a special protocol that isn't http or wap, and only accessable via the baseband?

That was my understanding.

Phazer

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
As long as I have had mobile phones I have sent text messages to email addresses instead of phone numbers and it has always worked fine for me.

Well then you have obviously never visited many countries outside the US...

This has been blocked by most UK operators for about ten years.

Phazer

okmike87

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
Ah, let me change that then. I have always done it this way here in the U.S. and never had a problem.

And I have visited several countries, just never tried to send anyone an MMS in those places. ;)

Well then you have obviously never visited many countries outside the UK...

This has been blocked by most UK operators for about ten years.

Phazer

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Wasn't anymore of a problem than asking them what their phone number was when I originally added them to my address book.

unfortunately when I started my phonebook 5 phones, 3 palmtops and 4 Macs ago I never thought to ask everyone what their network was . . .

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Keep calling Apple on this one. I do it all the time, and act all dumb and wonder why I can't get MMS's older than 7 days.

Sooner or later they'll cave in.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Without reading through every page of this thread, so it's probably been said before; Apple wants you to use .Mac / MobileMe galleries to send photos to people. Another point is that MMS and SMS are basically email that is "dumbed down" and marketed by the phone companies (which is why you can email pictures to phones), so I guess Apple figures you should email them.

jcostaman

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I would agree with you there. Someone sent me a photo on my RAZR a year or so ago. They took a picture on their phone and sent it to me. I knew AT&T would charge me for the data it took to send, so I was like "what the crap are you doing? Just show me the damn thing another time!" I really have the patience to not need to see pictures instantly, and EVERYBODY has e-mail. Maybe not on a phone, but they got e-mail, and sending a photo via e-mail doesn't cost anybody extra. Plus I don't want any kittens dying.

I thought that you couldn't save picture on your phone though:confused:

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Without reading through every page of this thread, so it's probably been said before; Apple wants you to use .Mac / MobileMe galleries to send photos to people. Another point is that MMS and SMS are basically email that is "dumbed down" and marketed by the phone companies (which is why you can email pictures to phones), so I guess Apple figures you should email them.

Read through every page and you'll see these points have already been addressed.

Phazer

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Why no MMS support? I hate viewmymessage

I absolutely hate the viewmymessage site. It's flash, and loads a really ridiculous small size. Does anyone know of a way to get the full size picture? Ugh.

Come on apple / AT&T..

How about this idea:

when your phone number receives an MMS, AT&T convert that to an email with the attachment and send that picture to you? Is that too hard?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Another point is that MMS and SMS are basically email that is "dumbed down" and marketed by the phone companies (which is why you can email pictures to phones), so I guess Apple figures you should email them.

SMS and MMS are not email in any way. They are much more related to phone calls, and pagers in particular.

The reason you can do any kind of email to phones, is that the carriers use conversion centers to translate between email and SMS/MMS.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I absolutely hate the viewmymessage site. It's flash, and loads a really ridiculous small size. Does anyone know of a way to get the full size picture? Ugh.

Come on apple / AT&T..

How about this idea:

when your phone number receives an MMS, AT&T convert that to an email with the attachment and send that picture to you? Is that too hard?

Does AT&T offer email to their mobile customers? I know Sprint did (username)@sprintpcs.com but I haven't seen anything of the sort for AT&T. I have looked all over OLAM, if anyone has found it please share.

Otherwise, how does AT&T send the MMS via email?

lukeman3000

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
yeah I can easily SMS and MMS on my 16gb non-jailbroken iPod touch... like Goku said, each phone has 1 or 2 email addresses. one for SMS and the phones that support MMS have an address for that too. for example, if I have a friend on Verizon who I want to send SMS to and their number is 1-815-867-5309, I would send a text message through email to 8158675309@VTEXT.com and for MMS I would send it to 8158675309@vzwpix.com

you can send and recieve text and multimedia for free using just Internet! I love it!

Can you explain how to do SMS and MMS with AT&T via this method?

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
always had them but never used them ... why do u need it when you have email anyway

lakerbob

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Is there an actual technical reason why it's not on the iphone, or is it that Apple is choosing not to?

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Is there an actual technical reason why it's not on the iphone, or is it that Apple is choosing not to?

Probably the same as the floppy back in the day. No real reason. Just don't really want to. Not on their priority list, I'm sure.

hard-case

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
always had them but never used them ... why do u need it when you have email anyway

Cause in the past week alone I've had more emails (from my iPhone on AT&T sent to an account of another AT&T iPhone user) be delivered (on both ends) without the attached pic/phone being unable to load the pic than I did in my entire 2+ years of sending MMS messages with my Razr?

And of course, as has been stated in dozens of these threads previously...not everyone in the country who owns and operates a cellphone has an iPhone, or an email account, or a phone where sending emails is either possible or easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.