Setting up a new default mail client

Stuart Brodie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2020
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi,

Is it possible to set up Outlook for Mac as my default mail client without opening mac mail?

For example, when I click on an email address online I would like to automatically open Outlook for Mac rather trying to reopen mac mail?

Thanks!

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
Using the search term "change default mail client macos" on DuckDuckGo returns the following Apple Support document as the top result:

which instructs you to open up Mail and go into Preferences to change the default mail application.

Aren't search engines handy? It took me all of five seconds to find this.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Stuart Brodie

barbu

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I think OP realizes that since he referenced the requirement in his post...
Now, I am not sure why you would not want to just open Mail once to set it, but I assume he has his reasons.

or I am misreading the OP... but yes, @Erehy Dobon is correct. You open Mail, open Prefs > General and set your preferred client there. Then you need never open Mail again.

Reactions: Stuart Brodie

Stuart Brodie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2020
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks Erehy Dobon for your help - very much appreciated.

Barbu, the reason I can't open Mail is because it causes my mac to crash - tried multiple solution but nothing seems to solve the issue. Hence the reason for moving onto Outlook.
How would you suggest editing the plist? Thank you

barbu

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
If Mail insists on crashing for you, you could trash its preferences and try again. If you are on Catalina, you can trash the entire com.apple.mail folder under ~/Library/Containers as well as ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail-shared.plist.
Then try opening mail.
Sorry if you have tried this already but it shouldn't be too hard to get Mail to open.

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
Based on the OP's short post history, that appears to be the case.

I've reached the point where asking for someone's motivation to do such a thing in this type of situation is beyond the point of diminishing returns.

This is a workaround, it doesn't fix the underlying issue which apparently the OP has little interest.

Personally, I would prioritize fixing the root problem but that's just me...

Last edited: