Several iPhone X Owners Experiencing 'Crackling' or 'Buzzing' Sounds From Earpiece Speaker

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A limited but increasing number of iPhone X owners claim to be experiencing so-called "crackling" or "buzzing" sounds emanating from the device's front-facing earpiece speaker at high or max volumes.

[​IMG]

Over two dozen users have said they are affected in a MacRumors discussion topic about the matter, while similar reports have surfaced on Twitter and Reddit since the iPhone X launched just over a week ago.

On affected devices, the crackling sounds occur with any kind of audio playback, including phone calls, music, videos with sound, alarms, and ringtones. The issue doesn't appear to be limited to any specific iPhone X configuration or iOS version.

"Love the phone but I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the speakers slightly sounding a little crackling whenever max volume," said one MacRumors forum member with the alias ShadowYYZ. "Noticeable on certain songs and even my ring tone which was bought from the iTunes Store."

For those unaware, the iPhone X's earpiece doubles as a speaker that combines with the traditional speaker at the bottom of the device to deliver stereo sound. Both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 series also have stereo speakers.

MacRumors hasn't been able to reproduce the issues described. Apple didn't immediately respond to our request for comment on the matter.

While the sounds could be the result of distortion, especially since they occur at higher volumes only, several users are convinced that there could be a bigger software or hardware issue affecting the earpiece.

"I listen to a lot of music on the speakers of the iPhone X and I noticed the slight crackle right away," replied another MacRumors forum member who goes by the username Benz63amg. "Since so many of us seem to experience this crackle then my assumption is that it's software related rather than hardware."

A few months ago, several iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus owners experienced a similar "static noise" issue with the earpiece during phone calls. Apple acknowledged the issue and fixed it in iOS 11.0.2.

Since the crackling sounds on iPhone X don't appear to be limited to phone calls, it's unclear if the issues are related.

Apple has been replacing affected iPhone X units free of charge, according to customers who contacted the company. Apple also appears to be collecting diagnostic information so that its engineers can investigate the matter, as it routinely does with any potential software or hardware issues.

Like the green lines affecting some iPhone X displays, this is an isolated issue affecting a very low percentage of the millions of devices being manufactured. The majority of iPhone X owners do not appear to be affected.

If you experience this problem, we recommend booking a Genius Bar appointment with the Apple Support app or contacting Apple via phone, email, online chat, or Twitter to have your iPhone X replaced. Apple is known for providing good customer service, and it is often genuinely helpful in these situations.

Article Link: Several iPhone X Owners Experiencing 'Crackling' or 'Buzzing' Sounds From Earpiece Speaker

2. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

To be fair, for a $1000+ the least you'd expect from Apple is a replacement or an acknowledgement of the issue with a promise of a fix.

3. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Just because you can turn it up to 11 does not mean that you should turn it up to 11.

4. jomams macrumors newbie

jomams

I guess I am a lucky recipient of the "very insignificant percentage of the millions of devices being manufactured." I originally assumed the processor was spiked and couldn't play the notification sound smoothly...but I guess it was "crackling?" Turned up the volume to test...

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

It’s not a new iPhone until we find a gate! Where’s the iPhone X gate?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Limited but increasing, as opposed to limited but decreasing?

7. HallStevenson macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Wow, I can understand display problems because they're using new (to Apple) tech, but audio problems? C'mon, they should have this tech licked by now.

9. xeio macrumors regular

xeio

you cant see it? the price is the gate.
    #pricegate

ordered it anyway :D

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Interesting just tried it, max volume, I can hear "hissing" at max volume.

Set your volume to max, and start a movie, at the begging there is usually quiet intro before something happens, i can hear clear hissing, kinda annoying.

So be honest most Devices will have this, though cause the iPhone speakers are so good and loud , it's much more easy to hear.

11. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

12. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

New-device growing pains I guess, but like the green lines, a bit of a downer nevertheless.

13. Ballis macrumors 6502a

14. scrapesleon macrumors regular

scrapesleon

Software update should be able to fix the issue

15. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I’m going to give this a try.

16. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Sadly part of the norm of nearly all smartphones, is the fact that there will be a few that make it out of the factory with issues. There are quite a few threads on this site form the past that will confirm that production issues are nothing new for iPhone releases.

Nice to see that Apple is taking care of people with these issues.

17. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I love mine, so you are very welcome!

18. xalea macrumors regular

xalea

Mine sounds muffled, like the other person is talking through a sock. People also tell me I sound like I'm down a hole. I'm probably going to return it. :(

19. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I have not experienced any either. I think the majority likely won't notice it even if their device does have some crackling, because many don't max the volume on their iPhones. I don't think I have ever maxed the volume unless I have been in an extremely noisy environment.

20. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

The story starts out saying it’s coming from the earpiece, but the first quote seems to be about the stereo speakers. I’ve experienced neither, but perhaps being more specific will help Apple diagnose the issue when providing feedback.

21. kdagher macrumors newbie

It only happens to me when i am on any phone call and the speakerphone is ON at Max volume, the hissing sound comes from the earpiece, since the first day i got it

I wasn't able to reproduce it with a movie or any type of music.

22. MH01, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2017

MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

It's not an issue . Speakers hiss and distort at max volume (unless you spend mega money)

23. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I’ve never had the need to max out the volume either.

24. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign