Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa
Well I guess they're leaving some users behind they would like a larger screen and better performance but certainly do not work on professional great content where they need to have a $10,000 machine. I guess they want to put everybody on an iPad with a stand or you have to spend 10,000.

gpwdeux

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2015
An interactive 3D globe doesn't require a neural network to display. Google Earth has had a 3D interactive map for almost fifteen years.

They NEVER have to explain anything - it's their choice. However, just because that is the case doesn't mean that people can't be rightfully angry about it.

Apple is selling devices TODAY that aren't capable of the full set of features in their latest OS release. This isn't a "we finished our transition to Apple Silicon - these new features will only be available for Apple Silicon Macs." This is them continuing to sell Macs starting at $1800 USD that will immediately become obsolete as it relates to running the full software stack.

That's not to say that some of this stuff does seem to require Apple Silicon support - like live text, etc. But that doesn't mean consumers can't be angry about this.
Then don't buy one, see problem solved. If this is all it takes to may you "angry", geesh.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
well, if a feature requires the M processor, fine, but if not - not ok.
Apple is still selling new Intel Macs and will do so probably for at least another year ...
But who knows, maybe those features will be enabled before release?

sdreamer07

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2018
Maybe just hold off getting the new phone this year and you'd be able to upgrade your workstation to Apple's chips. Hold off next year and you can get the "Pro" level probably. I mean, is it really an issue now when people are throwing money left and right at phones and tablets that cost as much as this? I got that argument before because they are large expenses, and for me it would be. But for a majority, Apple knows they don't care and will just throw money at it. What you confidence you can get out of it, is Apple is pretty good at support, and Intel users are still technically getting Monterey, so just not all of it due to their choosing, and they can choose what they want and say it was for optimization and that's all they have to say really. But if you get that shiny new M1, you'll probably be in for at least 5 years of support again from OS updates. I mean apple is still supporting the iPhone 6s with iOS15, and that's going on 6 years already, which is unheard of it most other segments in the industry.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Sarcasm?

If there's a finite amount of resources to develop 8 features, Apple could either release 4 of 8 of them for both M1 and x86, or release all those 8 for M1.

Apple is in the business to sell new hardware. Of course you're going to put your best features on your newest silicon architectures, only.
yes, and they are still selling new Intel-based Macs ...

justin0712

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2021
PowerPC Macs had at least three years of support after the last one was discontinued, and five years of patches.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Cook's Apple kills off Intel support by 2023.
I suspect by the omission of features, its easier, or so Apple thinks to get consumers to abandon older models. In turn Apple can write a statement " It is not feasible to keep supporting older Intel models as the user base has shrunk to (insert random percentage)."

That is exactly what is going to happen. At the current trajectory they have been supporting most models about 7 years. Assuming they stay the course that means that the Mid 2020 MBP would be supported until 2027. No way in hell Apple is wanting to support a hybrid OS that long.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
would not be surprised if macOS released 2 years from now completely drops Intel mac support completely.

Well they kinda did that back in the day with the OS-Leopard-Servicepack being Intel only bout 4 years after the switch.

I don't see them doing it that way this time around. Lots of IntelMac get canned with Monterey, more will get canceled with next year's macOS 13 SanAndreas and everything but the MacPro-Cheese2 will be gone by macOS 14 SkidRow.

• Haha
Reactions: Guccy and bdart2

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
  • Text-to-speech in more languages, including Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, and Finnish

What does this one mean? I've been using Speak Selection and text to speech systems for Danish and English for ages now. I have incredibly bad eyesight and rely on this for reading longer articles and stuff. The Danish voices still work perfectly fine on Monterey beta 1. What's this new Text to speech stuff I'm apparently missing?

Reactions: adib

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
This is an outrage. No technical reason this can’t be on Intel.

Intel Macs do not have energy-efficient ML accelerators. That is technical reason enough.

The only feature I find surprising is the 3D map... I would speculate that Apple uses some AS-specific stuff here to simplify development and make the software more efficient.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
You buy hardware for what it can do now, not for what it may bring in the future. You will be always disappointed if you think you are going to get any new features than it comes with. You did not sign any agreement with Apple to provide you with new features.

People who buy Intel Macs right now should not be looking at what macOS Monterey is going to give them, they should be looking at what Big Sur on that specific Intel Mac is giving them out of the box. Do not expect anything more, be surprised when they do give you new features but you should never expect it or expect Apple to be obligated at all to give you new toys.

that’s not going to happen
Yes, it will. They did it before with Intel transition. The only reason this feels quicker than Intel is because of annual releases as opposed to 2-3 year release cycle we had back then.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
So much for the ongoing support for Intel based machines that Apple promised. All of those items in the exclusion list are possible on an Intel CPU..

What Apple really meant was "we promise partial support"...

Added: Makes it worse when you consider Apple are still selling Intel based laptops today that won't get full support in less than 5 months time...

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
An interactive 3D globe doesn't require a neural network to display. Google Earth has had a 3D interactive map for almost fifteen years.

They NEVER have to explain anything - it's their choice. However, just because that is the case doesn't mean that people can't be rightfully angry about it.

The Maps one is the most "WTF?" egregious one to me.

Oh well - I'm still a pretty devout Google Maps user anyhow

Just Apple doing the usual

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
Sarcasm?

If there's a finite amount of resources to develop 8 features, Apple could either release 4 of 8 of them for both M1 and x86, or release all those 8 for M1.

Apple is in the business to sell new hardware. Of course you're going to put your best features on your newest silicon architectures, only.
No doubt they have the resources as one of the largest, wealthiest companies in the world. They're still selling Intel Macs today. Forced deprecation sucks for customers.

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
The globe view is permanently active, which means, that if you are zoomed in, it is still part of the globe. So is probably a Metal thing due to the amount of details rendered. Although a Mac Pro should be powerful enough to render it. When playing around I found out, the the globe view is not used when viewing satellite images. Update: Is also available in satellite view.

Last edited:

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
"Apple has not explained why any of these features are not available on Intel-based Macs." Not thinking they are required to, but any reasonable thoughts as to why would come up with the neural engine, and possibly the specific graphics used. True, some Intels have neural stuff, but in a different command structure, so "not written to accommodate Intel?

• Disagree
Reactions: Sebosz and robotica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.