Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I just...for some odd reason...decided to browse the sexual offender registry for my area...

OMG

Our 7-11 dude is listed as a child sexual offender. :eek:

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Who needs eHarmony or other online dating services when the sex offender registry can tell you who lives near you?

I kid...I kid!

C

CompUser

It says there is a sex offender at my school's address... what does that supposed to mean?

riciad

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
LethalWolfe said:
I went there and entered my zip (90035) and it was funny how the density of offenders pretty much followed good/bad neighborhood boundaries to a T.

Lethal
They might end up in the bad neighbourhoods, but you'd better believe that plenty of them start out and often stay in the good neighbourhoods.

Child sex abusers can come from any social and economic class. Our family learned this the hard way.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
weird they are all in bad areas in my town as well, they also look like they should be living in the bad areas of town. never seen any of them, only 3 of them

and 2 out 3 were minority as well. and one white guy that looked like a biker.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
riciad said:
They might end up in the bad neighbourhoods, but you'd better believe that plenty of them start out and often stay in the good neighbourhoods.

Child sex abusers can come from any social and economic class. Our family learned this the hard way.

That's a good point and is most likely true for all criminals.

Lethal

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
iGary said:
I just...for some odd reason...decided to browse the sexual offender registry for my area...

OMG

Our 7-11 dude is listed as a child sexual offender. :eek:

You only find what you look for.

Has this altered your judgement of the guy? I'm not taking the guy's defense here, but it goes to show the limits of the offenders list: how is he expected to fit in to society with that burden* (assuming he's repented, of course).

On a light note, gotta remind you of the Big Lebowski: "Twelve year-olds, Dude."

*Sorry but I think I'm draggin this thread to
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
the Political forums

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
LethalWolfe said:
I went there and entered my zip (90035) and it was funny how the density of offenders pretty much followed good/bad neighborhood boundaries to a T.

Lethal

Might also have to do with the fact that people with few resources are more likely to be caught and convicted - than a more wealthy guy, from a nice neighbourhood, who nobody would suspect and who can afford a good lawyer!

A

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mcadam said:
Might also have to do with the fact that people with few resources are more likely to be caught and convicted - than a more wealthy guy, from a nice neighbourhood, who nobody would suspect and who can afford a good lawyer!

A
Bingo.

XNine

macrumors 68040
I hate these scumbags. There is no way in hell, if I ran this country, that I wouldn't get a law passed stating that all of these sickos get sent to a tiny island with NOTHING. They can fight, rape and molest eachother there as much as they want on that little island. Just try building a raft, we've put mines around the coast!!!!!!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Onizuka said:
I hate these scumbags. There is no way in hell, if I ran this country, that I wouldn't get a law passed stating that all of these sickos get sent to a tiny island with NOTHING. They can fight, rape and molest eachother there as much as they want on that little island. Just try building a raft, we've put mines around the coast!!!!!!

So if the parents of a 17yr old girl get her 18yr old boyfriend tossed in jail for statutory rape he deserves to be shipped off to said island?

Lethal

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
LethalWolfe said:
So if the parents of a 17yr old girl get her 18yr old boyfriend tossed in jail for statutory rape he deserves to be shipped off to said island?

Well, that would really depend on what state you're in. Most states you can consent at 17 (some 16 or some 18). So the situation you propose isn't probably statutory rape because shes at or above the event. I don't think courts are TOO extreme on these issues when the ages aren't too big if you were 18 and she was 16 thats illegal in most states but I would assume you can get a decent deal if it was consensual. whereas if you were 25 ...

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Kwyjibo said:
Well, that would really depend on what state you're in. Most states you can consent at 17 (some 16 or some 18). So the situation you propose isn't probably statutory rape because shes at or above the event. I don't think courts are TOO extreme on these issues when the ages aren't too big if you were 18 and she was 16 thats illegal in most states but I would assume you can get a decent deal if it was consensual. whereas if you were 25 ...
texas has a three-year rule for consensual sex. our age of consent is 17, but a 20yo can have sex with a 17yo, 19 with 16, etc.

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
I have mixed feelings about the whole sex offender list thing. On one hand if they are in my neighborhood, it would be nice to know but on the other if there is a sex offender list, shouldn't there also be a murder offender list and a home invasion burglary offender list and a drug dealer offender list......?

Why just single out one set of criminals? If it is that bad they need to make a registry, they should just make it a life w/o parole manditory sentence since, in all honesty, that is pretty much what the guy is getting by having to register.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.