SGP Neo Matte Hybrid

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by psywzrd, Oct 16, 2010.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Just received my SGP Neo Matte Hybrid in Satin Silver from Cretouch and thought I'd post some pics here. This case is REALLY nice. It is extremely thin and light, and it looks great on the phone. There's definitely lay on the table design and the case fits very tightly on the phone. The sleep/wake and volume buttons are very easy to press and you get a nice tactile response when pressing them. The vibrate rocker is slightly recessed but not difficult to get to at all (all cases I've had are about the same in that area). Even though it might not look like it in the pictures, the cutouts are all pretty much dead-on too. The headphone cutout is definitely small. I was able to plug my Koss headphones in but it's certainly a tight fit. The dock connector cutout seems ok to me (fits my Made2Dock just fine) and I'm hoping it will fit an ihome clock/radio as well since I think I'm going to buy one of those. I saw a few of them at Best Buy the other day and was able to dock my phone in them when I had my Incipio NGP on my phone, so I plan on going back there to try docking it with the Neo on as well.

Obviously I haven't done a drop test or anything like that and I hope I never do. I certainly would not want to drop my phone from more than a couple of feet with a case this thin on it, but I have no reason to think it's any less protective than the other thin cases on the market (Incase Snap, Incipio Feather, Pixelskin HD, etc.). I'm sure some issues could come up once I use the case for a few days/weeks but my first impression is very good. Anyway, if you guys have any questions let me know.

Attached Files:

2. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

The case will absolutely work with the ihome dock connectors. I have the iHome with dual chargers and the Neo Matte works just fine. I wish you better luck with yours as from the other thread I mentioned that my silicone back started to sag just a bit. Waiting for the Neo EX to come in the mail.

3. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

That's good to know about the ihome. Which specific one do you have? I saw at least 2 or 3 at Best Buy but I really don't know what the differences are.

Have you contacted SGP about the sagging? I'm actually shocked that it would sag because it seems so tight on there right now. I know you mentioned the same thing in the other thread though so I'll certainly be on the lookout for it. I'm really hoping you just got a lemon or something because I think it's a really nice case (not that I want you to have a lemon but you know what I mean:D). I have to admit that I'm not a fan of SGP because of their poor customer service but they do have some good-looking cases.

4. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

For the iHome, I originally had the iP9 and now I have the iP88 (Since the wifey also has an iPhone). Most of the iHome devices are similar in functionality, so it's just a matter of the styling you prefer.

I haven't contacted SGP about the sagging. I may just send them a quick support ticket and see what they say. As I mentioned, I ordered a Red Neo EX so I am looking forward to putting that one on with the back screen shield.

5. chanerz macrumors 6502a

Nice case. Can't go wrong with SGP! BTW, does it have a rubbery feel?

6. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

No. It's actually very smooth even though the back is silicone. It has a very matte and brushed finish to it (I guess that's why they called it Matte:)). The side is plastic so that's obviously not rubbery either. It's a very nice case.

7. gimmeaipod macrumors member

how closely does the satin silver match the iphone's band color wise?

8. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

It's pretty close but the satin silver is definitely a bit lighter. It looks good to me though and it's probably the closest of all of the colors that are available - that's why I got it. If this case holds up well and I don't get the sagging issue that JNGold has with his, I don't think I'll be looking for another case. I really love this thing so far.

9. bleighv macrumors regular

bleighv

Has anyone received theirs from the pre-order yet?

10. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Mine was a pre-order from Cretouch.

11. bleighv macrumors regular

bleighv

I pre-ordered a smooth white from the SGP website on 10/11 and just got an email stating that my order has been shipped. Just thought I'd update ya'll.

OH and mtpflyers posted a video review of the case on YouTube.

12. souwalker macrumors newbie

I've ordered the Matte Black.
    My concern now is whether the earphone plug cutout will fit an angled 3.5mm earphone plug as most of the better ones comes with an angled 3.5mm plug.

What's yours?

Rgds

13. romeo1 macrumors member

I also got mine 4 days ago from cretouch.com.Nice case....so far.You must carefully put iphone on.I didn't attempt to get it out yet.
    Great feeling from the back of the case.
    Also no problem with angled earphone 3.5mm plug

14. bcp23 macrumors member

I recently got my Neo Hybrid Matte in gunmetal. This is a very good case for anyone looking to keep their iphone slim with good protection. The case feels as slim as just having the bumper on with the added protection for the back. It feels really good in the hands as well. The bumper would feel uncomfortable after using it for awhile because it has no back and is indented.

The silicone is what makes this case good. It doesn't attract any lint and makes me wish other manufacturers used this material for their silicone cases. The only negative I have is that the polycarbonate band is too fragile and nicks easily. I have a couple of small nicks where the paint has been removed and you can see the white plycarbonate. This is from normal use, no drops. Hopefully the surrounding paint doesn't rub off over time. I saw on ebay that SGP was selling the polycarbonate shell for the 3GS hybrid matte so hopefully they'll be selling them for the Iphone 4 soon.

15. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I really hope they do this for the iphone 4 Hybrid Matte as well. I'd love to get a black shell as well but no way am I paying anywhere near $27 for that flimsy little piece of plastic. Granted it's sturdy and all when it's on the phone, but the manufacturing cost of something like that must be extremely low.

16. bleighv macrumors regular

bleighv

I've had this case for about 2 weeks and I absolutely LOVE it! So sleek/slim but still has GREAT protection. I couldn't have asked for a better case. It's definitely my favorite of all 6 cases I've tried out.

17. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm still loving mine as well and I haven't experienced any of the sagging of the silicone that JNGold mentioned he was experiencing. Now all I want is to be able to buy just the plastic frame in a different color so I can switch up the look a bit.

18. gnychis macrumors 6502

does it look like it might fit a screen protector or a full body skin easily with it?

19. oBMTo macrumors 6502

I saw them offered on their site for $10.

20. bleighv macrumors regular

bleighv

I haven't experienced the sagging either, I'm not too worried about it either it doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon.

I hope they release a few more colors of the frames, purple would be nice haha.

21. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Really? Can you please post a link? I don't see it.

22. 300539 macrumors newbie

It's gone now.
    It was there when they had the new site layout but it's not there anymore.
    You could choose like 10 different colours for $10 ea.

23. bcp23 macrumors member

Been using this case for a week now. Does anybody feel that it is too slippery? I love the case and slim design it gives but have almost dropped my phone a couple times getting it out of my pocket.

But $10 for the polycarbonate band is kinda steep for something so cheap to manufacter. They were selling the 3GS one for $5 on Amazon and Ebay.

24. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I can't find those things being sold separately so if any of you guys find them, please post here. I checked ebay, sgp's site and cretouch and came up empty.

25. bleighv macrumors regular

bleighv