SGP Ultrathin iPhone 3G Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by applephysci, Oct 1, 2008.

1. applephysci macrumors regular

Just wanted to post some feedback on my experience with the SGP Ultrathin iPhone 3G Case..

Sep 19: 10:46 AM: Ordered the black iphone 3G case from http://sgpstore.com/
    Sep 19: 3:34 PM: Received email confirming that my case was shipped.
    Sep 20: 1:30 PM: Received case.

Was truly delighted. I had tried 11 cases prior, and was totally satisfied with the SGP's Ultrathin Case. That is, until..

A week later, I noticed minor flaking around the area where my earphones plug in, and near the volume control. I immediately emailed SGP customer support.

Sep 29: 11:41 AM: Emailed customer support at sgpstore.com@gmail.com, expressing concern.
    Sep 29: 2:20 PM: Received response apologizing for the flaking, indicating that the black coating was a concern from few customers that they have addressed, and were waiting for the next batch. They offered one of two options (a) immediate replacement for another color which they said have had no concerns or issues, or (b) to send me out the next batch of black cases, where they said would have no flaking.
    Sep 29: 2:46 PM: I emailed them asking them if I could have the silver case instead.
    Sep 29: 3:14 PM: Received email letting me know that my new silver case was shipped.

I truly have not seen better customer service from any other company. Period.

There was a thread which had pictures and feedback of the SGP Ultrathin Case, but it somehow got deleted from the forum.
    On-and-off posts such as this one in the power jacket thread suggest that others also do favor the SGP case.

All in all, I love this case, especially because it has the cutout for the apple logo (with a protection for the logo). The SGP Ultrathin Case iPhone fits comfortably in the DLO Hip Holster, and truly exemplifies the beauty, elegance, and professionalism of the iPhone. I decided to create this thread here, because I couldn't find one dedicated to SGP Ultrathin case. Besides, I've got great support from SGPStore, and I think they deserve others checking them out (ie, if you haven't yet).

2. dannyar macrumors 6502

ive been trying to buy the clear ultrathin they have on youtube but is not on the site. until they add that one to the site im gonna have to wait.

3. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Only down side, is that the shiny chrome plastic is exposed at top/bottom = easy scratches.

4. kheovnien macrumors member

i'd like to see how closely the black case resembles the black iphone back. all of the pictures on the site show the cases on white iphones. :(

5. applephysci thread starter macrumors regular

Perfectly dockable..

6. kicko macrumors 65816

you hardly notice the black on black. For a similar look check the white on whote pics they have.

7. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Black is "out of stock." I wonder if that is due to the problem of the color coming off mentioned by the OP?

8. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Not sure about customer support, but I ordered mine (white) on 9/16, it shipped on 9/17, and as of today, have not received it. I e-mailed them this AM, and will update when I hear back...

9. Dembo macrumors regular

Dembo

I was planning to buy the SGP Ultrathin case due to the almost-zero bulk it adds to the phone, however, almost-zero bulk and (probably) zero protection in case of a drop (which is why I need a case in first place, I don't really mind scratches on the body).

From the looks of it the only thing the SGP Ultrathin does is change the design of the iPhone and IMO there's no need for that.

10. kicko macrumors 65816

well that's exactly what it does, it protects from surfaces scratches and add a little grip IMO. It does not sound like something your looking for.

11. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

+1 on customer support.

E-mailed them as above, got a reply within 4 hours apologizing for my order being lost. Got a second e-mail about 20 minutes later saying a new one had been shipped, and this time, they paid for delivery confirmation and tracking so I could check.

Excellent service.

12. kicko macrumors 65816

Yes, i also just noticed some new designs, a few cool ones with a "bullseye" around the logo and also i saw a clear one.

13. larapumkin macrumors regular

i got a black and silver from them
    think sgp case is nice but i don't use them often since i newly got switch easy pink color case.
    im thinking on sgp's art case(?) with blue one. i dunno im still in love with my pink color case:rolleyes:

14. applephysci thread starter macrumors regular

15. Chef-Jer macrumors member

I'd like to buy one of these cases but their site list everything as out of stock. Not a good way to sell a product:( Hopefully they'll have some new stock this week.

Could some of you that already have one post some pics. I'm scared to carry my phone naked but hate the bulk that cases add. Tried skins but looked like s$%t after 2 hours of work, so a thin minimally intrusive case like this would be perfect. If I could buy one:rolleyes:

16. applephysci thread starter macrumors regular

I see everything in stock. If I'm not wrong, I think they've been in stock (for most of these) for a couple of weeks now. Email them (sgpstore.com@gmail.com) if you're still having problems.

I'll see if I can find time to take some pics. Maybe kicko or someone else may have some pics lying around (or from the original thread).

17. kicko macrumors 65816

I know the black cases were pulled because of the coating was flaking off. I contacted them and they will be sending me a free replacement with that issue corrected. I believe the new ones like the "bullseye" and clear case have not been in stock as of yet, so it should be soon when the new shipments come in.
    I know it says all colors in stock, on the main page but when you click and add an item to the cart it will tell you if its in stock or not.

18. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I contacted them last Friday and they said at least 2 weeks before they will have stock on the black ultra thin case.

19. sandra7109 macrumors member

I ordered the pink one last week and recieved it today :) I love it !

20. SpookyET Guest

How is this different from the Seidio Innocase II Surface, which had a very good review. Doesn't anyone innovate anymore? Everybody copies everyone else. How is this better than the Incase Slider?

21. dreadpiratedoug macrumors newbie

They're note even the same style case man, I think maybe you posted on the wrong thread. If you want to compare the Seidio case to anything else, don't forget about the Grifin line of slider cases which are cheaper than the rest. I like Seidio, but I have a problem with their shipping model - especially since i live about 5 miles away from their office and they won't even let me come pick it up.

22. avidinternet macrumors newbie

I just bought the clear case on ebay. They have black ones there right now as well.:)

23. kicko macrumors 65816

The case itself is more like a air jacket, but tweaked and better IMO. The seidio and the slider covers the bezel as well. This is strickly to prevent back scratches and adding some slight grip. Its not that this case it better its not really the same as the ones you mention, this offers some backside protection while keeping the original shape.

24. SpookyET Guest

The cases look the same. They are the same style. About what are you talking?