Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
The price drop has more to do with non-universal Photoshop than anything else. Shake has some pretty strong paint features and will soon be universal. This is the backup strategy Apple had in case Adobe dragged their feet on supporting Macs. Apple is now entering in a bigger way the competition for the Photoshop and After-effects market, in order to preserve their Pro business.

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
Sounds like an amazing price drop, but then again do you remember WebObjects? $50,000 to $500 in one night. That's a fourty nine thousand dollar reduction :p

I'm saddened to hear that Apple is stopping Shake, especially after cancelling the Linux/IRIX and Windows versions.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I'll believe it when I see it.... and then purchase a copy immediately. :)

If true.. I could (almost) forgive Apple for the rumoured 50 cents debacle.

One thing to keep in mind is that shocking price drops have happened in the past for VFX related software. XSI Foundation 5.1 costs $495 which is about the best deal you can find in this industry. It used to be well in the thousands (and tens of thousands if you track it back to the halcyon days of SI3D). And the full package (XSI Advanced) is currently half price at $3499 or so.

shaker2006

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2006
You guys are totally missing the boat here. Apple is killing Shake. This is the last version of the software they will release. So now you can afford it but in a few years it will be useless to know it because most place that currently use it will begin to migrate to a product that continues to be supported.

Apple is glossing over the killing of Shake with their press release by making it seem like they are making it easier for you the end user to get Shake.

Apple will no longer support it and you cannot even do a per-incident support call on it.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
shaker2006 said:
You guys are totally missing the boat here. Apple is killing Shake. This is the last version of the software they will release. So now you can afford it but in a few years it will be useless to know it because most place that currently use it will begin to migrate to a product that continues to be supported.

Apple is glossing over the killing of Shake with their press release by making it seem like they are making it easier for you the end user to get Shake.

Apple will no longer support it and you cannot even do a per-incident support call on it.

Only to make room for an even better program...

shaker2006

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2006
Macnoviz said:
Only to make room for an even better program...

If, and it is a HUGE if, If Apple comes out with a Shake replacement it will not be here till, and this is the earliest, 2008.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
£1,999 to £329 That's not a bad drop is it... :eek: :p

Though the original cost isn't exactly an especially big problem to those in the biz... about 4 hours work infact. heh. :D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Maybe when the future Final Cut Insane Super Studio (or whatever) comes out, the current version of Shake will be tweaked to become Shake Express or something, while a new Shake Pro steps in at the high end.

Other pro apps have seen big price drops from Apple and not vanished, I seem to recall.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
shaker2006 said:
You guys are totally missing the boat here. Apple is killing Shake. This is the last version of the software they will release.

For $499 I get an awesome piece of Software that can make me a ******** of $$$.... even if they decided to stop supporting it tomorrow. Not getting a license now would be missing the boat... :)

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Lone Deranger said:
For $499 I get an awesome piece of Software that can make me a ******** of $$$.... even if they decided to stop supporting it tomorrow. Not getting a license now would be missing the boat... :)

I think that is what Apple is hoping users will focus on. And it is indeed a pretty good deal if you don't mind not getting updates.

bcisgo

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2006
Apple's Hubris

You know, the drop in price is what it is. But I gotta say that to then charge 4.0 users who ponied up 3 GRAND to buy Shake another $49 to "crossgrade" to 4.1 is insulting in the extreme.

I'm getting sick of Apple's contempt for their customer base.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Nice!

lilstewart said:
WTF?

I didn't know if this has been noted but, look, Apple developed Shake 4 for LINUX.

HERE

Shake has run on Linux for years. When Apple acquired Nothing Real (Shakes creator) they killed the windows version and kept the Linux albeit at a higher price.

Frankly it doesn't matter if Shake 4.1 is the final version before a new app is created. The point blank truth is that it you can still do wonderful things with it and at the current pricing every workstation in some studios will become a Shake station if desired.

This is great news no matter how you slice it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.